Transfer Deadline Day. Or as West Ham call it; Tuesday.

13»

Comments

• edited February 2023
    alderz said:

Over the last 5 seasons we have spent the 4th highest in transfer net spend in the premier league. How is buying a player like Ings going to help us improve or paper over the cracks of our awful transfer policy?
    Look where we are! The scattergun / no clear plan or playing style policy continues. We buy players to leave on the bench or don’t suit the Premier league like Paqueta and Scamacca and continue with our out of form players.
    This has been going on so long now any improvement is very short lived and seems it is more by luck than judgement.

This is exactly why I don’t think spending is the way out of trouble. There is no obvious recruitment strategy, and we seem to buy players based on availability in many cases. I don’t think bringing in Any Old Bod would make a single bit of difference.

Our squad is good. It’s really good. We just need the manager to get them firing.
    Brighton are proof that you don't need to spend big on individual players to improve year-on-year. I'm not sure we've ever had a strategy under GSB; like you say, it's more about who we can get rather than getting who we need.

But with Dawson wanting out in the summer, I'm surprised that even we couldn't find someone willing and able to join the club in the intervening six months.
  • D’you know what, the way that Chelsea have spent in the last two windows makes me think that perhaps the super league was a good idea really.We could get back to a more level playing field and them and the rest could just go away ( not the words I’d like to use to) and play each other every other week in some soulless competition.
  • Our squad is decent but I am extremely worried about the CB position. I can't believe for one moment that our 3 main options there are not going to get injured at some point. Let's see.
  • Going back to Chelsea, I’m in a bit of a dilemma really. I mean I really, really, really hope that they crash and burn and implode BUT their manager seems a decent bloke which is more than I can say of their last eighteen ( or is it 19?) in the last two years .
  • re: Centre Back and Dawson.

It seemed pretty clear that he would have gone in the summer, but Aguerd was injured. Now Aguerd isn't injured, he can go. That makes sense to me. I get that we have some question marks about fitness for some and form for others, but Zouma, Aguerd, Kehrer and Ogbonna are (on paper at least) a good pool of centre backs. Yes, we have played a three recently, but when we played a three most effectively a few years ago, Cresswell was a left sided centre back. On top of that, Johnson has played CB a number of times now.

I personally am not worried about centre back. I am most concerned about right back, personally, but when Ings and Scamacca are back we can play Antonio at wing back and all our problems will be solved.
  • alderz said:

I am most concerned about right back, personally, but when Ings and Scamacca are back we can play Antonio at wing back and all our problems will be solved.

Slaven Bilic likes this comment
  • alderz said:

I personally am not worried about centre back. I am most concerned about right back, personally, but when Ings and Scamacca are back we can play Antonio at wing back and all our problems will be solved.

My concern is that we haven't got the option to play a back 4 until Zouma is back (I wouldn't trust Kehrer or Ogbonna in a back 4 in the PL) so we're really limited (and extremely predictable) in how we set up.
  • I bet Antonio can't wait to be moved from striker to wing back. 🤣
  • After stating he wants to go, he'll have to get on with it. 😁
  • After stating he wants to go, he'll have to get on with it. 😁

Er, he didn’t though did he?

• I expect Antonio to go in the next window. 😉
  • I'm hearing rumours of Andre Ayew returning. 🤣
  • I read Everton and his name were mentioned... :-O
  • edited February 2023
    Ex has confirmed it's not us and he's likely to go to Everton. And relax.
  • edited February 2023
    2 quotes from the BBC:

Everton had a deadline day move for 31-year-old Colombian striker Duvan Zapata rejected by Atalanta. (TeamTalk)

That was one of a reported 14 targets Everton failed to sign on deadline day. (Express).

Looks like we know where our scattergun went.
  • Slacker said:

After stating he wants to go, he'll have to get on with it. 😁

He alluded to it on his podcast.
  • 2 quotes from the BBC:

Everton had a deadline day move for 31-year-old Colombian striker Duvan Zapata rejected by Atalanta. (TeamTalk)

Dyche should have had a chat with Moyes. We tried to sign Zapata on deadline day last January and Atalanta scuppered that one too, apparently.

According to Ex, we tried to sign 17-year-old Sean Moore from Cliftonville on Tuesday, but couldn't get the deal done in time. I honestly don't know why clubs leave deals until the last minute, particularly low-risk, low-value deals like this one. I read the deal was only worth £250k, which is nothing nowadays. If, as has been reported, we've been looking at him for a while, why put yourself under time pressure by waiting until the last day?
  • Yeah I don't get transfer deadline day. All it does of portray a massive lack of strategy to see teams buying players up to the last possible moment.

Personally, I would like to see a structure whereby the summer window closes before the season starts (I know we tried it, and I know the issues with other leagues not aligning, but I like the principle of it!), and then having a week or two break at the start of January where new signings can take place, and then the football carries on. It really bugs me how players are subject of active bids and have to carry on playing - or not, and that hurts the clubs that pay them (I'm thinking specifically of Caicedo atm).
  • But whenever there is a deadline, there will be business up to the last minute. I don't see any way round that.

Also, it's not always a case of clubs leaving thing to the last minute.
    Agents delay and delay in the hope of getting a better deal for their player as time runs out ( I know that can work both ways but the BBC had an article a little while ago this window with an agent quoted as saying that's exactly what he urges his clients).
    Some players only become available and offered round at the last minute as their club signs someone who pushes them down the playing order and they decide they want out, or

Having landed their player with a week to go before the deadline, the club then announces it will release a player for a loan deal... And so on.

The whole thing can be a sequential process...

Complicated by the non-alignment of leagues around the world.

The only way round it is to have a transfer window of .. 3 days? Get everything done everywhere all at once. Needing that ;wahoo 🤣

• alderz said:

Personally, I would like to see a structure whereby the summer window closes before the season starts (I know we tried it, and I know the issues with other leagues not aligning, but I like the principle of it!),

This really bugs me, as clubs other than the ones at the top of the food chain invariably start the season waiting for the bigger clubs to finish eating before getting their business done. This must surely be the same in other leagues, so I'm surprised that the majority of clubs in all the major European leagues aren't in favour of closing the window before the season starts as long as they all are aligned.
  • Having tried it, and decided not to continue.. was there a definitive reason given or was it just something clubs voted against for their own reasons, do we know?
  • MrsGrey said:

Having tried it, and decided not to continue.. was there a definitive reason given or was it just something clubs voted against for their own reasons, do we know?

We stopped it as we closed early, meaning we could still lose players (who could still transfer out) to other European leagues and not be able to replace them. I understand why we don't want to go it alone because of this reason, I just don't get why all European leagues can't agree an earlier close to the window.
  • Hamstew said:

Ex has confirmed it's not us and he's (Andre Ayew) likely to go to Everton. And relax.

Today it's looking more like Forest, he'd be their 29th signing since the end of last season 😂🤣😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64501582
  • Slacker said:

After stating he wants to go, he'll have to get on with it. 😁

He alluded to it on his podcast.
    Yeah I listened to that podcast.At no time did he say he wanted to leave West Ham.

Facts eh? What can you do?
  • He did say he was in talks about leaving West Ham.
  • He said he’d be sad to leave. He didn’t say he wanted to go, just that it might happen.
  • Ok I apologise for getting it slightly wrong.
This discussion has been closed.