Astra - Home - Thursday 25th August - Europa League 2nd Leg

Comments

• the other good news. Tore is only on loan
  • I think Astra played their game well pressed us in midfield forced us wide and hit us on the break . We created enough chances to win the game but you could tell half way through the 2nd half we were n't going to score. On this showing I think we would have struggled in Europe with the injury situation. Hopefully we can replicate last seasons league form and make up another lost of income from a higher PL finish (than if we had stayed in Europa which would have cost us 3/5 league place IMO) Good to see Fletcher playing well Calleri needs a goal but his hold up play and position is good and I never want to Valencia in a West Ham shirt again.
  • unfortunately it kind of confirms we are a 1 man team, without Payet we look hopeless.

Unfortunately we now have a huge squad with a load of players not going to get game time. I can imagine Burke will probably be loaned out along with any other youngster now to the champo
  • I think we have a decent sized squad not a huge one we had a play youngsters again in key positions last night. I think once we get Lanzini /Payet and a striker with Arthur at left back we will be a completley different prospect. Last night we had Nordviet /Obiang/Kouyate in the middle of the pitch all mainly defensive midfielders and boy did it show with a lack of attacking quality. We went out early last year in a similar situation and we had a pretty good season
  • edited August 2016
    I can't say I'm overly disappointed with going out as I feel it would definitely have had a detrimental impact on our league form as it has in the past with other teams such as Spurs and Liverpool etc.
    What I'm most disappointed with is, ignoring all the injuries, most of the players here have been training together since early July but seem absolutely clueless as to what they're doing. We're obviously missing our skilful players like Payet and Lanzini but we still don't seem fully match fit or have any intensity to our games.
  • The problem is we don't play the same team twice in a row its a mish mash every week
  • Who else thinks that Slav could have done without doing the euro punditry. The prem season is long enough and ours was destined to be longer again in 16/17 - everyone needs time to recharge the batteries - either he should have taken some complete rest or started planning for the hectic season ahead - a prem league manager has enough on their plate without other distractions?
  • unfortunately it kind of confirms we are a 1 man team, without Payet we look hopeless.

Unfortunately we now have a huge squad with a load of players not going to get game time. I can imagine Burke will probably be loaned out along with any other youngster now to the champo

I don't agree with this at all. A fit/good striker [Carroll] played from the start [Fletcher] and those chances would have been put away.

A fit/playing Nobes and Cresser and we would have had a much more cohesive plan.

• On the other hand last season when Payet was injured we looked pretty short of ideas, the goals dried up somewhat but luckily we picked up some points largely thanks to Ginge
  • Of course Payet changes everything.

He's a world class player playing for West Ham.
  • For how long tho ;wink ;run
  • ;fishslap go to your room.
  • Romaine10 said:

For how long tho ;wink ;run

Not long now ;whistle
  • and you can do the same son.. go on.. off you go. ;fishslap
  • playing three defensive MF didn't help as that naturally lowers intensity.

This is Bilics first BIG failure with us (Swansea last year wasn't great either) let's see him pick us up

But with City away we may have a depressing couple of weeks in front of us.
  • Horrible performance and horrible result.

But had Cresswell, Noble, Payet, Ayew, Carroll, Feghouli and Sakho been playing, we'd have smashed it.

And the biggest miss of all for me, which is Lanzini.

I'd say the players we have capable of creating something are: Lanzini, Payet, Ayew, Noble, Feghouli, Antonio and Cresswell.

All missing but one.

Players likely to score: Lanzini, Payet, Carroll, Sakho, Ayew, Kouyate and Antonio.

All missing but two.

Not sure many teams could cope with that. It's all very well saying we should be able to beat Astra, but we were so short of creative players it's unbelievable.
  • I agree we were playing a well organised hard working team and our patched up team could n't find away through another day and a bit of luck we might of but I have put it down to" one of those days" and look forward to the rest of the season
  • Patched up team or not those on the pitch should be capable of the basics. First half hardly anyone broke into a trot let alone a run.
  • The bloke I feel most sorry for is the chap we signed yesterday - you can imagine his conversation with sully - "come and join West Ham and you'll be playing European football this season..."
  • Who else thinks that Slav could have done without doing the euro punditry. The prem season is long enough and ours was destined to be longer again in 16/17 - everyone needs time to recharge the batteries - either he should have taken some complete rest or started planning for the hectic season ahead - a prem league manager has enough on their plate without other distractions?

Has absolutely zero to do with anything for me.

IMO

;ok
  • We didn't need to smash it.

All we needed was a 0-0

Sam style.
  • Grey,

Can you get a new smiley of a headless chicken and label it ;luke?

• Theres lots of possible reasons behind as to why we failed to progress but we all know the conditions surrounding the games with astra and the pre-requisites with those kind of games; they are going to be organised, tough to break down, obscene amounts of gamesmanship, etc, etc. The great thing about Bilic is that before and after games he is 100% right in what he says, he doesnt hide it and is normally spot on in his analysis. He was aware of the difficulties because Romania and other teams excelled at the euros playing in a similar way, so the players and personnel must've been aware

In hindsight not signing Arthur before he was ineligible was a blow as we needed a natural LB to create width, Risking AC on a dodgy pitch should've been a no-go and he was badly missed last night, Sakho could've been an option if he had been anywhere near somewhat fit. But overall we only have ourselves to blame, we were embarrassingly outplaying Stoke in the final game last season but threw it away and subsequently automatic euro qualification as well.
  • edited August 2016
    Herb - not really a headless chicken mate.

All my points are concerns I brought up weeks ago (no striker, low net spend, first XI not improved etc).

I then commented on how flat we were v Chelsea, Astra (a) and Bournemouth and how I was concerned with our level of intensity.

• We didn't need to smash it.

All we needed was a 0-0

Sam style.

Exactly. It was naive in the extreme for Brian to make that run and try that pass. If it's 0-0 at HT I think we would have gone through, as they would have had to come on to us, and they didn't really look like they had enough to break us down if we had been organised.
  • More important than the euro exit, someone needs to take over Match Thread duties ;whistle
  • Me and Twist have bit the dust already lol
  • Didn't Eskiboi have a good run last season? ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.