TV and Films

Comments

• twist it wasn't the acting, it was the writing (plot, script, etc).

suz ;hmm Will give it another chance. Only one, though!
  • I haven't watched many of the new ones yet, but the few I have seen, probably 3, haven't been up to the quality of the previous doctors.
  • I agree Moojor.
  • I blame the NHS cuts for these poor doctors ;yercoat
  • lgh - Band of Brothers is superb. Probably my favourite ever show. ;ok
  • Got stuck about half way with Band of Brothers, and couldn't find the will to finish it.
  • edited October 2014
    ;nonono

I loved it.

Haven't seen anything (film or TV) that has come close to that level.
  • I found Band of Brothers very late. A mate lent me the box set in June this year. I watched it pretty much back to back, and thought it was superb.
  • LGH, Luke, i've got Band of Brothers on DVD but have never got around to watching it. It's quite good then?
  • Twist - get watching it mate. I'm surprised that anybody could not like it, but obviously we're all different. ;ok
  • LGH - episodes 6 and 7 (the ones that cover Bastonge) were incredible at catching the most haunting moments. The episodes which follows the medic is my favourite. ;ok
  • Luke

I wouldn't say I didn't like it, just didn't find enough in it to keep me watching.
  • I suppose if it is a topic you are very interested in or knowledgeable about, it can be more enjoyable than if you are just watching it (and judging it) as 'a TV programme'?
  • edited October 2014
    Even if I judged it as a 'tv show' still thought it was amazing. Brilliantly acted (a lot of the actors in it were unknowns at the time and that put them on the map) and the level of detail, character development etc is first class. Then you have the background of it being a representation of a true story, during a time where all those men were heroes, and it strikes a chord. I wouldn't say I was massively interested in the subject (although I do like war films, because of the history), just thought it was a quality series. ;ok

It is a series you have to watch though. I'd imagine it would be difficult to acknowledge it if you only watch half the series. The first 3 episodes are used as a foundation to set you up for the series as a whole, whereas the latter ones really get into it. I've never felt I know so much about so many men in just 10 hours. ;ok
  • LGH - did you watch The Pacific mate?
  • Luke, maybe I'll give it another go ;hmm
  • MrsG ;ok

Please do! I mean, if it's not for you it's not for you, but I'd advise watching all 10 episodes. Not many shows I recommend but that is one of them that I'd urge to give a second chance.

The Pacific is by the same creators (Spielberg and Hanks), as well as HBO, but is very different. Much more harrowing and haunting. Very graphic.

;thumbsup
  • Babe Heffron and Bill Guarnere....

• edited October 2014
    A World War II film worth watching is Days of Glory (French title: Indigenes) about soldiers from French colonies taken into the army and the role they had fighting in France. By a French-Algerian director and a very good insight into a part of the wars that is often brushed over.

By the same director Hors-la-loi (Outside the Law) is a great film about the Algerian independence movement within France.
  • Schindlers list and The Pianist, I would highly recommend, brilliant films.
  • Lgh, agree with Luke, think you need to get yourself a box set of "The Pacific" very grapthic but probably very realistic.

Some very harrowing and thought provoking scenes.

Apart from the horror of war itself, the conditions on these islands were truly terrible.
  • imageimage

The "thousand yard stare" phrase was popularized after Life magazine published the painting Marines Call It That 2,000 Yard Stare by World War II artist and correspondent Tom Lea,

About the real-life Marine who was his subject, Lea said:

He left the States 31 months ago. He was wounded in his first campaign. He has had tropical diseases. He half-sleeps at night and gouges Japs out of holes all day. Two-thirds of his company has been killed or wounded. He will return to attack this morning. How much can a human being endure?
  • edited October 2014
    m_h

I really enjoyed The Blacklist (but probably less than James Spader.)

After the first few episodes I wondered if it would get a bit 'samey', but the story arc developed really well, imo.

Really looking forward to the 2nd series.

I'm finding Boardwalk Empire a bit slow. Agree about Lilyhammer.
  • Blacklist is great ;ok New series started yesterday over here Grey. Haven't got round to watching it yet though
  • edited October 2014
    m_h

If you take it past the first 5 or 6 episodes, Blacklist really opens out, and James Spader has as much fun as any actor can, imo.
  • m_h

Fair enough.

I thought it was great 'popcorn' TV.
  • Twist - Homeland season 4 next Sunday mate. ;ok
  • edited October 2014
    True detective, now there's a series
    ;bowdown

Absolutely mesmerising.
  • I like Homeland. Season one was awesome whereas 2 and 3 were ok/decent. Still good viewing though. The new season is being hyped as a return to the form of season 1. They should've ended the plot in season's 1-3 much sooner.