TV and Films

Comments

• See, for me, Homeland was another ;hmm show. Just couldn't care enough about what might happen. Similar to The Following - liked the idea, liked the acting, couldn't find it in me to care where it went after about 6 episodes.
  • Grey - thought the following was awful. Just a case of slash of the week. Bacon and Purefoy gave it their all but a potentially exciting premise was executed dreadfully.
  • Luke

;ok

Thinking of Kevin Bacon, how about Tremors for a fun filled hour and a half?
  • m_h

I got through it as I'd seen all the rest. I think the 12 episodes forced them to telescope too much. Nice to see them use a strong female lead, imo.
  • m_h

I wasn't thinking of Chloe, I was thinking of Kate Morgan, the 'Lady Jack;'.

I'm not suggesting the writing or characterisation was brilliant, but at the least, it portrayed a woman willing and capable of doing things that Jack has done/can do (and Jack always looked on the verge of a breakdown, in every series!)
  • Watched American Hustle at weekend disappointing to say the least it was about and hour and half too long, I've seen better episodes of Hustle on BBC one
  • Twist - Homeland season 4 next Sunday mate. ;ok
    Cheers Luke, forgot about that! ;ok
  • Well over here in the US they are showing old (Cathy Gale) Avengers episodes on the Cozi channel.
  • Ooo I like that too lgh ;ok
  • Anybody see 'Marvellous' last week
    All about 'Nello', the onetime Stoke kitman
    It's on iplayer
    Brilliant !
  • No Billy I didn't but we V+ it so might watch it tonight as there is no MNF.
  • One of my favourite TV programmes, The Apprentice starts again on Tuesday.

Anyone seen any good new programmes/films recently?
  • First Bollywood film I've ever wanted to watch is out now, Haider. Haven't been able to get it in English subtitles -- for some reasons, Indians are happy to watch it in Hindi ;hmm

It's an adaptation of Hamlet set in Indian-occupied Kashmir. I was actually there when it was released and it's interesting. Nationalist Indians refuse to watch, liberal Indians love it and a lot of Kashmiris think its a poor portrayal. Written by a Kashmiri but apparently went through about 40 cuts for an Indian audience.
  • Does anyone have a web based show they like? On Netflix or YouTube etc.? I guess comedy is the main thing you get on these...
  • Outcaste

I watch 'A house of cards' on Netflix which was recommended on this thread.

It's very good, Kevin Spacy is superb.
  • outcast, if you are internet enabled where you are, you could always subscribe to a proxy server so that you can get BBC and ITV programmes through their iplayer services.

(I'm assuming you are asking about web-based shows because of limited viewing options in Pakistan?)
  • Might watch "The Kings speech" again tonight ;biggrin
  • Suz, I've watched both seasons ;ok (I think I recommended it ;lol)

Thanks MrsGrey - I already have a VPN and there's actually way more TV options in India and Bangladesh than UK. Sometimes stuff produced for the web is more interesting though - like House of Cards, Lillyhammer etc. And there are some good independent shows that people produce but are hard to find.
  • outcast ;ok
  • Outcast - I saw something called Happy Valley on my recent flight to the UK. Set in Lancashire, about a police sargeant and how she deals with a personal tragedy that affects her work, It went straight on to Netflix US over here. Not sure if it's your thing, but It starred Sarah Lancashire, who many years ago was the ditzy barmaid in Coronation Street, and she was a revelation in the role.
  • Tex

It was one of the best dramas on TV in recent years.

Sarah Lancashire was outstanding.
  • Luke, what did you think of the 1st Homeland episode mate? Thought it was v good, back to the 'old style episode' which made it so good in the first place.
  • Twist - I thought it was very promising. ;ok

Agree with your comment. Seemed much more structured and realistic, as opposed to 'bomb a minute action'. Hopefully they build the tension and suspense over the coming weeks. The problem with the second half of season 2 and season 3 is that it became so unbelievable.

Incredibly haunting the way Carrie takes the lives of people through her job and then just goes home and opens a bottle of wine to Skype her sister. Just shows you how something like that is just another day at the office.

Far better than season 3 already.
  • Luke ;ok

Yeah i think that was starting to hit home at the last bit of the episode. Like Quinn reacted completely different + Carrie just seems to be like a machine + just carries on. Hope to see Saul back next week ;pray
  • Just finished watching all five seasons of Justified on demand took me 3 weeks
    my wife wasn't happy she was pushed into the front room on her pc every night
    what a great program my sons had been telling me to watch it for months now
    and so glad I did " Rylan Givvens " what a guy ;clap
  • Twist

Saul ;bowdown
  • Walking Dead got off to a storming start for the latest series hopefully it can carry on
  • brookings

Half-way through Season 4.

Decent enough show, but what a soundtrack!
  • PLF, was going to give that show a try as i've heard good things, but think i'm too late, isn't it like the 8th/9th series now?