TV and Films

Comments

• Been recommended to watch 'House of Cards' - anyone seen it? Any good?
  • Agree said a few times on here about Goonies and Labyrinth. Epic films! Willy Wonka the original is also amazing!
    Willy Wonka, you say ;hmm

scumbag-grandpa-joe
  • The Wire , all 5 seasons what a masterpiece . ;ok
    Indeed. Surprised it wasn't mentioned as much on here. Still the best TV series i've seen imo. Part of what destroyed Breaking Bad for me was people saying it was better than The Wire when it was nowhere near - lacked the emotional/character depth. Breaking Bad was just entertaining, The Wire was, as you said, a masterpiece. Though, the last series of The Wire was not so good while the last of Breaking Bad was by far the best.
  • Labyrinth, A Nightmare Before Christmas, Flight of the Navigator and Goonies are all some of my favourites.

Now I wish I was at home watching them and not at work... ;weep
    My childhood in films there, wrath were you also a mid 70's baby?
    Lol, no early 80's. I watched a lot of these when I was a bit older and own most of them on DVD ;biggrin Really wish Netflix had more stuff like this on it! I did sit and watch The Black Cauldron the other night. I loved films by Don Bluth. An American Tale, The Secret of Nimh, All Dogs Go To Heaven etc etc etc
  • Been recommended to watch 'House of Cards' - anyone seen it? Any good?
    It's fantastic Twist, you should give it a go. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are both excellent in it.
  • Just about the second episode of Fargo. First was brilliant. So funny at points.
  • I watched captain America winter soldier this afternoon. I thought it was better than the first one. I quite enjoy the super hero movies. Guardians of the galaxy was brilliant
  • Fargo's excellent. ;ok
  • Am I right in thinking Fargo the TV series is based on the film?
  • Based loosely on the film, Wrath. ;ok

Completely different characters and stories etc, but same setting and feel (dark comedy, atmospheric etc).
  • I'd spotted it on netflix. I'll line it up to watch ;biggrin
  • Wrath - thought the TV series was good but the film is better IMO. Francis McDormand, William H Macy and Steve Buschemi all brilliant. Well worth a look.
  • I think it's the film, not the TV series that is on netflix anyway?

Stupidly, I haven't ever watched the film ;doh Will try and watch it before I carry on with the TV series.
  • edited September 2014
    Firefly was good before they axed it :(
    Loved the theme tune :)

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me...
    Take me out to the black. Tell them I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me...
    There's no place I can be, Since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me."

• Firefly was brilliant
  • edited September 2014
    Also liked the theme to the most recent star trek, Star Trek: Enterprise ? wasn't much of a fan of the show but the theme song was great.

"It´s been a long road, getting from there to here.
    It´s been a long time, but my time is finally near.
    And I can feel the change in the wind right now. Nothing´s in my way.
    And they´re not gonna hold me down no more, no they´re not gonna hold me down.

Cause I´ve got faith of the heart.
    I´m going where my heart will take me.
    I´ve got faith to believe. I can do anything.
    I´ve got strength of the soul. And no one´s gonna bend or break me.
    I can reach any star. I´ve got faith, I´ve got faith, faith of the heart."

• Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but can I recommend a film called Four Lions. Made by Chris Morris (Brass Eye and The Day Today and the writers of Peep Show) - a story about four wannabe jihadis - "a cell of berks who all want to strike a blow for the cause but can't strike a match without punching themselves in the face."

" brilliant film and astonishingly funny" WORD
  • Iron mike ;ok

It's a very good film and oddly accurate. It was actually on the 'reading' list during my Masters ;lol Superficially it can be simply seen as funny but it's actually got a lot of depth to it and shows a lot about that world. The end, with the container, is very powerful.
  • Outcast - Agee entirely - a very funny film - but so much more. Says a lot about the 'human condition'.
  • Mike - You've got to be one of the only people other than me who enjoyed 4 Lions
  • I see they are making a 'Taken 3'.

Taken is one of my favs
  • edited October 2014
    I've started to watch 'House of Cards' on Netflix, thank you for the recomendation.

Kevin Spacey is brilliant ;bowdown
  • 4 episodes into breaking bad and really enjoying it so far. ;ok

Four lions. Absolutely brilliant film.

Twist - loved Taken. Wished they'd stopped there, though.
  • edited October 2014
    Just watched the 1st episode of the new Dr Who (a bit late, I know).

Wasn't too impressed. Bit dull, imo, plus the effects were a bit ;puzzled ;doh

Without any plot spoilers, can anyone tell me if it gets better?
  • Has doctor who ever got better ;sofa
  • Philistine!
  • It does get better yes.
  • Luke, you're probably right mate, still enjoyable films though

Mrs Grey, i don't watch it but a few people i know have stopped watching, don't think the new guy is very good!