Away to Wolves, Saturday 6th

The Craig Dawson derby.

I saw something the other day that said that we conceded 78 goals in 64 league games with Craig Dawson in the side, and since he left we've conceded 85 in 49. We also never conceded more than 3 goals in a game in any of Dawson's appearances, and have done it 8 times since he left. A mountain. A hero. What a guy.

Comments

• edited April 4
    Fabianski/Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez
    Bowen - Paqueta - Kudus
    Antonio

Team picks itself at the moment - although I’d rather Kudus not on the left.

We really need 3 points are we will begin to slip back into mid-table over the coming weeks.

Tough game but Wolves have ran out of puff a little over last few games (1 win in last 5).

The squad is an issue because we don’t seem able to make changes in a game to the attacking area. If Antonio is blowing, would it not make sense to bring on Cornet & Ings for Antonio & one other & play them as a two up top, with Ings maybe slightly deeper. I get Ings can’t play as a lone forward in this side.

We can’t keep 1) leaving the 11 on all game & 2) replacing Antonio with KP or JWP.
  • edited April 4
    Lukerz said:

Tough game but Wolves have ran out of puff a little over last few games (1 win in last 5).

In the PL we've only had one win in the last 5 (none in the last 4) whereas Wolves have 2 wins in the last 5.

• edited April 4
    I would argue we’ve had a (slightly) harder set of games…

But regardless of our form, both sides should be looking at it as 3 points.
  • If Antonio needs to come off after an hour of hard running I hope Ings will replace him, he has looked better lately and always shown a good attitude, he deserves a chance to try and build on his recently improved introductions.

• Areola & Aguerd still concerns in terms of fitness, according to Moyes’ presser. Alvarez returns.
  • GO'N has a bit of a dilemma; who to play up front

Matheus Cuhna and Hee-chan Hwang both picked up hamstring injuries in February while other options Pedro Neto and Jean-Ricer Bellegarde both hobbled off against Fulham at the beginning of March

For the last four games a couple of U20s, 19yo Nathan Fraser and 18yo Leon Chiwome, have started up front although they've not been impressive and neither has managed to get a shot on target in the last three games

Neto and Hwang aren't expected back any time soon, Bellegarde is close to recovery but Cuhna did reappear on Tuesday against Burnley as a 76th minute substitute although whether he’s fit enough to start is another question

And to top it off Craig Dawson has missed the last four with a groin

Meanwhile Algerian LB/LWB/LM Rayan Ait-Nouri is having a fine streak with three goals in the last four.

GO'N press conference due to start 1pm
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (First Team) v West Ham United (First Team)
    Premier League
    Referee: Harrington, Tony
    Assistant Referee: Scholes, Mark
    Assistant Referee: Howson, Akil
    Fourth Official: England, Darren
    Video Assistant Referee: Robinson, Tim
    Additional Video Assistant Referee: Holmes, Adrian
  • Hwang Hee-chan and Craig Dawson both returned to first team training today although GO'N didn't confirm if either of them would be in the squad tomorrow

Bellegarde and Neto definitely out

Cunha hasn't had any "issues" since playing 19 minutes on Tuesday
  • It's a really important match as losing it will see Wolves join us on 45 Points, but win and we go six points clear of them, whilst with Brighton facing Arsenal and United facing Liverpool its's a great chance to make in roads against teams around us.
  • The more of these “if we” scenarios we come up with we generally end up with the same number of “if only” ones afterwards.
    Let’s try not to tempt fate too much.
  • Isnt that totally part of footbll? Hoping for fair things elsewhere and hoping that we actually do the business?

If you support a team long enough and have enough disappointments, I salute anyone who goes into a weekend with hope that others foul up and do us favours whiilst we somehow conjour up an away Wolves win
  • I think this is the first time this season that we've played on consecutive Saturdays, certainly in the PL.
  • Just broke a tooth so we better win to cheer me up .Before I pay a kings ransom here in Canada to get it seen to =)
  • Ouch, how'd you manage that?
  • steve said:

Just broke a tooth so we better win to cheer me up .Before I pay a kings ransom here in Canada to get it seen to =)

Ditto.
  • Eating natchos .must have been going I guess
  • Fabiański, Coufal, Zouma ©, Mavropanos, Emerson, Álvarez, Souček, Ward-Prowse, Kudus, Paquetá, Bowen
    Subs: Anang (GK), Johnson, Ogbonna, Aguerd, Cresswell, Phillips, Cornet, Ings, Antonio

Alvarez back, Antonio rested
  • Not sure if he is rested or dropped in favour of a more defensive formation.
  • Not sure how Zouma can play 3 games in a week plus thursday coming up
  • Probably needs more of a rest than Antonio if players are being rested. I think it's tactical however.
  • Moyes:
    It was a tough decision because Micky has been playing well, but also an easy decision because he’s played three games in a week and played 90 minutes in midweek, so we felt as if it was probably the right choice and with Edson coming back it gave us the opportunity to do so," he told Premier League Productions, before looking ahead to the game itself.
  • edited April 6
    Wolves have Cunha and the two kids on the bench, Hwang not in the squad

RW Pablo Sarabia will likely start up front, played as a striker against Man Utd in August

Dawson also on the bench
  • Moyes:
    It was a tough decision because Micky has been playing well, but also an easy decision because he’s played three games in a week and played 90 minutes in midweek, so we felt as if it was probably the right choice and with Edson coming back it gave us the opportunity to do so," he told Premier League Productions, before looking ahead to the game itself.

'With Edson coming back gave us the opportunity to do so?'

Edson the defensive midfielder! He is easy to read, when in defensive mode it's an extra DM and when in attacking mode its the attacker. Lets hope it works out.
  • Huge game, COYI.
  • JWP has been pushed further forward
  • If we win this, I still believe we could sneak Europe in the league. Lose and I think we’re done
  • Slow first 10 mins from us
  • Apparently we’ve had 4% possession so far
  • We are up to 19% now
  • Great chance for Soucek after good work from Bowen.