West Ham Vs Olympiacos 8pm KO London Stadium

13»

Comments

• edited November 2023

Munich both you and Buffy are correct. We would be above Freiburg if we draw with them and are on the same points but doesn’t guarantee us top spot if all three teams end up on 10 points as GD would come into effect between us and Olympiacos as we would both have won one.
    As it stands we can finish anywhere in the top 3 but will be in Europe in 2024.

Whilst it's true that head to head comes before goal difference, that's not the point I was making.

If Freiburg beat Olympiakos and we only draw to Backa Topola, or if Freiburg draw with Olympiakos and we lose to Backa Topola, then Freiburg will go into the match against us with more points than us; a draw in that match would see them ahead of us regardless of our head to head record with them as they'd have more points than us.
  • You lot are doing my head in =)
  • Buffy that’s exactly the point I was making. It’s feasible that three of us could end up on 10 points when both GD and head to head would come into play. Alternatively neither would matter dependent upon how results go in the next round of matches.
    Whatever happens we will be in first, second or third place at the end guaranteeing some form of European football in 2024.
  • I was simply trying to get across that it's premature to worry about what effect a draw against Freiburg will have until we've played the next round of fixtures.
  • I came on here to read comments about the game - and what do I get? Will we be top, second if we beat etc. etc

I'm with Steve here. (see above) =)
  • I was simply trying to get across that it's premature to worry about what effect a draw against Freiburg will have until we've played the next round of fixtures.

In my head we played Freiburg before Backa, basically the first three fixtures in reverse order.

And in all honesty, I don't see us dropping points to that lot.

In my head we played Freiburg before Backa, basically the first three fixtures in reverse order.

Whilst I agree it's unlikely we won't at least match Freiburg's result against Olympiakos when we play Backa in the next round of fixtures, it's just a little premature to say we only need to draw with Freiburg to top the group.
  • Didn't we play Backa first at home, then Freiburg away second? If so, we should be playing Freiburg at home and then Backa away last.
  • We're away to Backa on 30th November, and then home to Freiburg on 14th December.
  • Backa A 17.45 Nov 30
    Freiburg H 20.00 Dec 14

Whilst I agree it's unlikely we won't at least match Freiburg's result against Olympiakos when we play Backa in the next round of fixtures, it's just a little premature to say we only need to draw with Freiburg to top the group.
    Lile I said, in my head we were playing Freiburg first and if we drew that then I don't see us losing top spot. As it stands, though, it will be postponed for a gameweek.

But does anybody know why the final two matches were reversed?
  • Don’t think they were reversed. That’s how they were set out when the draw was made.
  • Pretty sure it's always the same pattern in European games. You play Team A, Team B, Team C, then C, A and B.
  • Last two seasons it's been A,B,C,C,B,A.

Both Liverpool and Brighton are the same A,B,C,C,A,B so it's not just us.
  • I think this season it’s been ABCCBA in the CL but ABCCAB in the EL &ECL
  • I think this season it’s been ABCCBA in the CL but ABCCAB in the EL &ECL

Very logical....
  • Are we talking about a song by Genesis here or a Swedish pop group? =)