West Ham Vs Olympiacos 8pm KO London Stadium

edited November 2023 in Match Threads
We will have to come up with a much better performance than in Greece two weeks ago, but I think that is entirely possible as I think Moyes took advantage of our good start to rest a few. This time I think we should play a full strength side as three points will keep us in the driving seat regard securing the valuable top spot.

I can see Bowen and Kudus giving them problems if starting. One of the bright spots within the poor performances in the league is that Kudus looks to be as good as we hoped, and Moyes will hopefully see that he has to be one of the first names on the team sheet now instead of the bench.

Comments

• Since we last played Olympiacos beat OFI of Crete 2-0 away (OFI have finished in the bottom half three seasons in a row) but then lost 4-2 at home to PAOK Thessaloniki at the weekend (top four ten seasons in a row)

Can't seem to find any news about injuries

Moyes knows he has to win this won so he'll put out the strongest side available
  • If we don't win this ,The Moyes out group will rise there heads again
  • Ohhh yeah they will )
  • Play our big guns from the start too
  • edited November 2023
    Mubama played a full 90 mins and scored for the U21s against Cheltenham last night in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy so doubt if he'll be on the bench tomorrow

They won 4-2 to make it three wins in three games and have finished top of their group
  • Yeah, they won 4-0, Olympiacos lost 4-2

Alzheimer's...I get confused
  • Freiburg home to Topola tonight so we probably need a good win to stay top of the group. Got to start with a strong line-up.
    Fabianski. Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Emerson, Soucek, Ward-Prowse, Alvarez, Kudus, Bowen, Paqueta.
    Come on you Irons.
  • I fancy Topola to get a point.
  • Freiburg beat Topola 3-1 away although since then Freiburg have lost two and drawn one in the league plus they'll be without RW Roland Sallai (scored against us), out until the end of the month with a muscle tear.
  • edited November 2023
    Fabiański ©, Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Emerson, Álvarez, Ward-Prowse, Kudus, Paquetá, Benrahma, Bowen

Subs: Areola (GK), Anang (GK), Johnson, Cresswell, Fornals, Antonio, Cornet, Ings, Ogbonna, Souček, Kehrer, Mubama

I like the team, it's probably the strongest we could field with the players we have, I do feel that Benrahma needs to up him game from what he's been showing recently though, but we haven't got many alternatives for his position as Fornals hasn't been tearing it up either.
  • I do think Fornals needs minutes though.
  • Cornet needs mins as well trouble is we need to win this
  • steve said:

Cornet needs mins as well trouble is we need to win this

I must admit, Cornet wasn't even on my radar, he seems nowhere near to the level we need, which is such a shame as I thought he would have a lot to offer; he just doesn't seem to have come back from his injury yet, and I'm not sure he ever will now.
  • need a result to turn around this rut we are in. Its such a bad time to be in a rut with the games we have and have had. Everton Brentford Forest Burnley. Should have been targeting 12 points but so far 0.
  • Ridiculous of Benrahma shooting from there when he had other options.
  • edited November 2023
    And then he hugely overhits a pass/cross. Not a good start from him.
  • Better effort from Benrahma there, a showy, but decent enough save from their keeper, who also holds Aguerd's header from the resulting corner.
  • Alvarez in the book, maybe a touch harshly for once; he clearly took the ball first but caught their player to the side (so not straight into or through him) on the follow through.
  • Kudus in the book now for complaining too vociferously over a throw given against us, minutes after not being happy with a free kick he conceded.
  • Decent attempt by Benrahma, although a fairly comfortable save; does win a corner though.
  • That corner leads to another, and Aguerd probably shoulda done better than head wide of the target.
  • Hope we don’t pay for not taking one of these half chances.
  • Chance for them on the break, the ball bounced too high for it to be easy for Podence, but I thought it was going to rocket into the corner of the net with Fabianski stranded; fortunately it was wide.
  • Nice run by Emerson which wins a free kick about 7 yards outside their box. Podence gets booked, and the falling Emerson might have done some damage to one of their players. Nothing comes of the free kick.
  • edited November 2023
    Dreadful pass/cross from Benrahma in a threatening position, he's had a really mixed half.
  • 0-0 HT, fairly underwhelming although we had the better of it I guess.
  • Dreading the first 15 minutes of the second half as we usually make a nuts of it and concede.
  • Dreading the first 15 minutes of the second half as we usually make a nuts of it and concede.

Yeah, I'm not sure of whether stats would back it up, but it does feel like we concede a disproportionate amount of goals in the 15 minutes after half time.
  • We're definitely looking second best atm, although Benrahma did just waste another good crossing position.