Brentford (A) Saturday 4 November 3pm (not on TV)

Feeling better?

Well, here come Brentford!

We've lost all four Premier League games against them with our only recent win in the Cup and the combined goal total over 5 matches stands at 8-2

Obviously Ivan Toney (2 goals against us) will be missing but in his absence Yoane Wissa (2 goals against us) has been partnering Bryan Mbeumo (3 goals against us and currently Brentford's top scorer with 6 in 10 PL games) and of course they now have Neal Maupay on loan from Everton (3 goals in 5 games against us).

Along with Toney they will be without LB Rico Henry, out after surgery on his knee, replaced by 21yo Scottish international LB Aaron Hickey. RW Kevin Schade, LW Keane Lewis-Potter and CM Josh Dasilva (1 goal against us) are also on the injured list

In the summer Brentford added CB Nathan Collins from Wolves and GK Mark Flekken from Freiberg

Frank doesn't change his starting XI much and normally sets up in a 3-5-2 although he occasionally goes with 4-3-3

Flekken
Ajer Pinnock Collins
Roeslav Jensen Norgaard Janelt Hickey
Mbuema Wissa

Or

Flekken
Ajer Pinnock Collins Janelt
Onyeka Norgaard Jensen
Mbuema Maupay Wissa

On our side of the pitch what do we do about Paqueta and Alvarez? Kudus has played CM before, maybe play him alongside Soucek with Antonio and Benrahma starting? Fornals? Three at the back?

Discuss

Comments

• If it were up to me, I'd have the same team as last night, with Zouma, Fornals and Ward-Prowse in for Mavropanos, Alvarez and Paqueta, but I suspect it will be Antonio that comes in in place of Fornals. I think it'll likely be a 4-2-3-1 shape, with Kudus as a #10 behind Antonio, Benrahma and Bowen either side, with Soucek & JWP sitting behind.

What I think we'll see: Areola; Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson; Soucek Ward-Prowse; Bowen Kudus Benrahma; Antonio

What I'd like to see: Areola; Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson; Soucek Ward-Prowse; Kudus Benrahma Fornals; Bowen
  • I have a feeling Zouma is injured:

Areola
    Mavropanos - Ogbonna - Aguerd
    Coufal - Soucek - Ward-Prowse - Emerson
    Bowen - Kudus
    Antonio
  • Brentford have all the makings of our new Brighton. I'd be happy with a draw in advance...
  • We need to go at them. Fornals to start.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Brentford have all the makings of our new Brighton. I'd be happy with a draw in advance...

Baz, we beat the new Brighton.
  • edited November 2023
    Lukerz said:

I have a feeling Zouma is injured:

Areola
    Mavropanos - Ogbonna - Aguerd
    Coufal - Soucek - Ward-Prowse - Emerson
    Bowen - Kudus
    Antonio

Even if Zouma is injured, I can't see why we'd switch to 3 at the back; if anything there's more reason to only use 2 rather than all 3 of our available CBs (discounting Kehrer).

I think we'll go with alderz's prediction (simply substituting in Mavropanos if Zouma is unavailable):
    alderz said:

Areola; Coufal Zouma(/Mavropanos) Aguerd Emerson; Soucek Ward-Prowse; Bowen Kudus Benrahma; Antonio

• Zouma maybe unlikely, according to today's presser:

"I'm not sure if Kurt Zouma will make the trip to Brentford yet. He trained a little bit so we will see how he goes.
    "Dinos Mavropanos is a big personality who is making his way back into the Premier League. The games he's played for us, he's done really well. A good character, and we hope he continues to come along."
  • edited November 2023
    Nothing much from Frank's presser, Moyes praised Dinos

On replacing Paqueta and Alvarez

"that’s why we play different players in cup games and in Europe, so that when these boys do get their opportunities they are ready to take them. Hopefully the boys who come in can do that.”

As Benrahma started and Fornals didn't that suggests to me that Alderz predicted line up is most likely
  • Bazshuayi said:

Brentford have all the makings of our new Brighton. I'd be happy with a draw in advance...

Baz, we beat the new Brighton.
    Yeah but it took a long time and I wouldn't be massively surprised if they took revenge next game
  • I think we may see Bowen as a striker again, with Kudus & Benrahma either side.
  • Lukerz said:

I think we may see Bowen as a striker again, with Kudus & Benrahma either side.

I can't see Moyes dropping Antonio yet, and certainly not in a game where we're already having to swap out Paqueta and Alvarez.
  • I’d expect…

Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Aguerd - Emerson
    Soucek - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Kudus - Benrahma
    Antonio

Because of the fact Paqueta AND Alvarez are out, we don’t really have enough midfielders. But personally I’d play Fornals as an AM or a back 3 with Bowen up front.
  • Moyes isn't known for his experimentation, so I'd be very surprised to see anything other than that line-up assuming Zouma doesn't make it.
  • edited November 2023
    I just think it would be brave of Moyes, when we’ve played 3 CMs in the middle all season, to then go with 2 & an attacking foursome. Easier to bring Fornals & Ward-Prowse in for Paqueta & Alvarez.

We’ve played 4-3-3 all season, not a 4-2-3-1.
  • Brentford have only won once at home this season; to 10 man Burnley.
  • LOSS it is then =)
  • edited November 2023
    As expected:

Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Emerson, Ward-Prowse, Souček, Kudus, Bowen, Benrahma, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Johnson, Cresswell, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Fornals, Cornet, Ings, Mubama
  • edited November 2023
    Bring Mubama on for 30mins after we get 3 up =)
  • No surprises but think it will leave us very open defensively with just Soucek & JWP in midfield.
  • it's ended up, almost by mistake as a very attacking line up.
  • Bowen , Benrahma and Kudus all seem pretty good at chasing back and helping out defence so fingers crossed. Come on you Irons
  • JWP captain....Tony Gale on co comm's for me....COYI
  • Seems 4-4-2
  • Referee bottled it. Brentford player should already be in the book.
  • 1-0 Brentford
  • Great start, not.
  • Our defending really is the pits
  • Oh boy - that was shambolic defending, there were three of them going for the same ball, when none of them had to
  • I believe that’s the first goal we’ve conceded in the first 15 minutes.