Summer Transfer Window 2023

Comments

• buffy, Of the four you mentioned I wouldn't be looking to keep any of them possibly Ogbonna? Antonio is looking to leave, well he is saying a few things to hasten his departure. I know I keep saying it but there are some very good young players from across the world who we should be looking at like Brighton have done & look at the profit they are making. Rob Newman has spent time in South America so why aren't we seemingly interested in the likes Pablo Maia, Federico Redondo, Andre or Johnny?

The problem if we get rid of say 3 of those 4 is that we're then in the territory of a huge number of players incoming this summer, which most of us feel won't be ideal. It's looking extremely likely that Rice is going, Scamacca is very strongly linked with a move back to Italy, and I really can't see Lanzini being given another contract. If Rice goes, unless we manage to upgrade Soucek we'll be weaker in midfield as whoever replaces Rice won't be good enough. Dawson needs replacing from January.

So, if we only keep Ogbonna we'll need:

Keeper to replace Fabianski
    LB to replace Cresswell
    CF to replace Antonio
    CF to replace Scamacca
    CM to replace Rice
    CM to upgrade Soucek
    CB to replace Dawson
    FW/AM (maybe Barnes to switch Fornals or Benrahma more centrally) to replace Lanzini.

That's 8 players right there as bare necessity purchases if we only keep (say) Ogbonna. I think the can will be kicked down the road and I can see at least 3 of Fabianski, Ogbonna, Cresswell and Antonio still being here next season. I think Moyes will be reluctant to bring quite so many new faces in again this window.

I think Antonio is perhaps the most likely to be let go; we'd get a small fee for him and apparently he was angling for a move in January. I don't think his media activities are particularly well received by the club either (I read somewhere, although obviously that doesn't mean it's true, that the club has fined him for some of the stuff he's done).
  • Scamacca moving back to Italy? That's like a bolt out of the blue! NOBODY was expecting that!!!
  • buffy, Hegyi (GK), Scarles (LB) & Mubama (CF). There is three replacements already in the club?
  • alderz said:

Since summer 2020, we have sold 17 players at a loss - the highlights being the £35m we lost on Felipe Anderson, the £25m we lost on Sebastien Haller, and the £17.5m lost on Andriy Yarmolenko

I agree we made a loss on Haller who left a year and a half into a 5 year contract

Felipe Anderson had one year left on his four year contract so his value wouldn't have been anything near what we paid for him

We didn't sell Yarmo, he left on a free after his contract expired
  • edited June 2023

buffy, Hegyi (GK), Scarles (LB) & Mubama (CF). There is three replacements already in the club?

Are Hegyi or Anang really good enough to do a job in the PL if Areola is injured or suspended at any point? Can't see Moyes relying on either of them as no.2 keeper just yet tbh.

Is Scarles really ready to play in the PL? He's only in the u18s isn't he, he's not even playing for the PL2 team. No way Moyes has him straight into the PL squad as a second choice LB. Let's not forget we could easily have another 60 match season, it's asking a lot for Emerson to play that with only an inexperienced 17yo as cover (he's not 18 till December).

Maybe Scarles is an exceptional talent, but there's no way Moyes let's Cresswell go solely relying on Scarles as back up LB this season imo; maybe a season in PL2 will help see if he's ready (unlikely though it will be) to be a PL LB at 18yo in the season after next. I know we've still got Johnson at the club atm, but apparently he's refused to sign the contract he was offered as he wants more money, so, with only a season left on his current deal I strongly suspect he'll be gone this summer as well.

Mubama is the closest, and it would kinda depend on which other CF is brought in as to whether we could get away with new CF, Ings and Mubama. So we might get away with only 7 incomers to cover the departures I listed originally; at most 1 replacement from within the club (this summer) imo.

Having seen how Moyes operates for the last few seasons, I just don't see him relying on youngsters; it is his job on the line after all. Unfortunately that leads to short term, experienced only (in the main) signings, which does little to reduce the age of the squad.
  • alderz said:

Since summer 2020, we have sold 17 players at a loss - the highlights being the £35m we lost on Felipe Anderson, the £25m we lost on Sebastien Haller, and the £17.5m lost on Andriy Yarmolenko

I agree we made a loss on Haller who left a year and a half into a 5 year contract

Felipe Anderson had one year left on his four year contract so his value wouldn't have been anything near what we paid for him

We didn't sell Yarmo, he left on a free after his contract expired
    The point isn’t whether we got the best value at the time of their departure. The point is that we buy players for high values, and we do not sell players for high values.
  • buffy, All good points but if David Moyes doesn't start making plans to reduce the overall age of the squad by releasing some of the older players soon our new manager who is likely to be in situ for the Summer 2024 window will have the job to do then.
  • Are you saying it's Moyes' job to get things set up for the next manager?

I can't see any possible way that's a reasonable expectation.
  • buffy, All good points but if David Moyes doesn't start making plans to reduce the overall age of the squad by releasing some of the older players soon our new manager who is likely to be in situ for the Summer 2024 window will have the job to do then.

Unfortunately that's the position we're in, and why it's so important to recruit an appropriate DoF, to deal with the long term path of the club, to recruit both players and managers that are consistent with that long term path and will help achieve the long term goals that the club sets out. An individual manager, especially at a club where he doesn't feel particularly secure, will always look to the short term; why would he look to the long term if he might not survive the short term.

I've expressed a concern numerous times about how our squad is ageing, and that's one of the reasons I finally (but only very late on in the season) came down as "Moyes out". Unfortunately I feel we'll have another summer recruitment of players that do little to bring the squad age down much; how could we bring in 9 players last summer and in January and yet still have one of the oldest squads in the PL?

I'm not saying we should only recruit 20-22yo players, but the majority have to be no older than say 24 or maybe 25. However, if Moyes feels he needs 28 or 29yo players to survive the season, and he has final say in the recruitment, then we're going to keep Cresswell, Fabianski and Ogbonna and bring in players in their late 20's who have the experience that Moyes appears to value.

Unfortunately the can is well and truly being kicked down the road I fear; there's a big rebuilding job in our near future even to stay where we are.
  • MrsG & buffy, Yes you are right, unfortunately. An exciting season awaits us then! 😬
  • West Ham will target Valencia's 20-year-old United States midfielder Yunus Musah as a replacement for England international Declan Rice, 24, who is expected to depart. (CBS)
  • And …. The summer transfer window is officially open.

Mrs Grey & Slacker I invite you both to officially cut the ribbon ✂️

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • MrsGrey said:

Are you saying it's Moyes' job to get things set up for the next manager?

No having given a bit more thought to this he should be interested in the long term benefits of the team. Although IF he is likely not to have his contract renewed next summer then I can understand him only looking to protect his record. This is where Mr Sullivan stating we will honour the last year of his contract doesn't act as a indication of "we see you here for the long haul " does it?
  • Ravel49 said:

And …. The summer transfer window is officially open.

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Unfortunately I can’t find the scissors.😥
  • Slacker said:

Ravel49 said:

And …. The summer transfer window is officially open.

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Unfortunately I can’t find the scissors.😥
    That’s a great tactic not to sell Rice. Sorry lads, windows not open. Slacker can’t find the scissors.
  • You can’t build on age.

• Are the scissors near the mug?
  • edited June 2023

MrsGrey said:

Are you saying it's Moyes' job to get things set up for the next manager?

No having given a bit more thought to this he should be interested in the long term benefits of the team. Although IF he is likely not to have his contract renewed next summer then I can understand him only looking to protect his record.
    But he has no idea of what any new manager might want to do, what style they'll play, their views on which positions are key for that, etc.

Of course he will be interested in the long-term success of the team - that will maximise his chances of staying and reaping the benefits.He has previously said he has his own views on how a club should be run (from his first stint with us) and wanting to make changes for (*what he sees as) the better. And he very much strikes me as the sort of person who will back himself to prove the doubters wrong, and win an extension/new contract.

My comment was more directed to the premise (it seemed to me was trying to be established) that any future manager's failings could also be blamed on Moyes! I mean, are you holding Pellegrini to the same standard?
  • From the BBC this morning:

There has been so much talk about Declan Rice and Arsenal that it feels a deal has virtually been done.
    Yet I have been told direct talks between Arsenal and West Ham have not even started yet.
    It could well be the Gunners are putting everything together before they go to the Hammers with a fee they believe will secure the England midfielder.
    But club to club contact has not happened yet.
  • edited June 2023
    Bellingham to Madrid ✅
    Expect Dortmund to complete Alvarez deal now.

Also from various Lazio ‘news’ outlets, Emerson is the backup plan if they do not make Pellegrini’s move from Juve permant

Now I don’t know how reliable these reports are.

Could just be Paolo and Gianluca Down the pub for all I know 🤷‍♂️
  • Ravel49 said:

Bellingham to Madrid ✅

Also from various Lazio ‘news’ outlets, Emerson is the backup plan if they do not make Pellegrini’s move from Juve permant

There’s a bunch of reports, all based on an article from the German newspaper Bild, today saying that we are expected to be able to outbid Dortmund for Alvarez, both for transfer fee and wages.
  • alderz said:

Ravel49 said:

Bellingham to Madrid ✅

There’s a bunch of reports, all based on an article from the German newspaper Bild, today saying that we are expected to be able to outbid Dortmund for Alvarez, both for transfer fee and wages.
    Other reports suggest that he's waiting for Dortmund as he wants to go there.

Meanwhile, we're being linked to half of the professional footballers on the planet with seemingly no identifiable approach and even the supposedly better ITKs are talking in 'ifs' and 'maybes'.

I get the impression nothing will happen until Rice goes, which is either imminent or not close at all depending on which hack you believe, and there's even suggestions that our activity is 'paused' until the new Director of Football is in place, who is also either close to or a million miles away from being appointed.

Meanwhile, the kits still haven't been released - probably waiting for Rice too - and it's been a week since we last won a trophy.
  • OCS, We have really picked the wrong time to be selling our biggest asset as it's reported that there is not much money floating around so the bidding war we wanted isn't going to materialise leaving Arsenal to put in a low offer knowing there is no real competition for Declan's signature meaning they can appear to set their own rules.
  • It sounds like Bayern have dropped out so it's looking like Arsenal or, if you believe recent reports, City.

As I've said before, I just want it done. My concern is that our whole strategy and possibly budget is entirely dependent on what happens with Rice, and if this drags on then we may struggle to get our primary targets if they're hoovered up by others whilst we wait for someone to meet Rice's valuation.
  • Again, if we don’t get an offer that works for us we should just keep Rice. We also should just do whatever we want with the money. Who cares if we get in trouble with UEFA? What will they do? Knock a few players off our Europa squad in 24/25? We might not even be in it!
  • I'm going to go out on limb and say I dont think Arsenal will come up with enough money for Rice.

Theyve been linked with the guy at Brighton and Havertz for big money too but if the comments bout us and them not even having direct talks yet are to be believed, I think Rice going is far from done currently
  • Brighton will sign James Milner on a free
  • Signing Pedro for 30M too... Thats a lot for a guy in the champo. I'd want a bit more than 11 goals last season for that money.

(obv in the top 3 goal scorers in Prem next season now I've said that)
  • See Daniel Levy has started on his unique transfer policy offering £50 million for Barnes & Maddison when Leicester valued them @ £60M each last year! 😬
This discussion has been closed.