West Ham Manager - have your say here.

Comments

• Hopefully the club are making enquiries about a replacement. I would rather they spent a bit of time trying to get someone decent even if Moyes is kept for a short while. That said, i think anyone new needs some support in the January transfer window.
  • I think the owners will still back Moyes to keep us up, and won’t change anything. Which means I probably won’t be watching much football for the rest of the season.
  • We haven’t seen much football the whole of 2022
  • Don’t believe all this former player, friend of a friend itk stuff. If they don’t want to be named they either don’t exist or should keep their mouth shut.
    As for preferring to play on the front foot they did that last night but still made a complete mess of it.
  • Former player called in today & he said that he was talking to a couple of players & they said Moyes is losing the changing room. How they played against Arsenal, the players have had enough, they would rather play on the front foot. They get beat playing two blocks of 4, so they would rather have a go.

From an ITK friend of a friend. I've omitted the name of the former player.

Not saying this is a lie, but this sort of stuff always surfaces when you have a poor season.

His approach worked the past two seasons & I’m sure the players appreciated if when we were winning 4-1.
  • edited December 2022
    I was speaking to my dad, & I am not going to call for Moyes to go. For me, out of respect & some of the memories of the last two years, he deserves to see the season out &, if he does, I think we’ll be fine. I understand if we keep losing, his position will become untenable, but I am happy with him continuing to try & recover the season. I also don’t think there’s anybody available who will be an improvement on what he has done & he is probably best placed to keep us up. If we sacked him, we’d basically all be saying ‘we need a David Moyes type manager’.
  • If he was going to go, it should have been before the World Cup.

I think the board will wait till the last game in Jan though to move him on, means no new signings for January for Gold and Sullivan to worry about for a new manager and means they can flog the club off in March if they can get the right person in and get West Ham to safety by then or out of the relegation spots.

• I don't agree with just sacking Moyes and then seeing who is available as he may be better than some who are available.What I would be doing is making discreet overtures to those you would actually want and asking if there is anything we can do to tempt them.

The next three matches will decide his fate as we play Leeds, Wolves and Everton, after which we play Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs. After last night we need six points from the next three matches.
  • Don’t believe all this former player, friend of a friend itk stuff. If they don’t want to be named they either don’t exist or should keep their mouth shut.
    As for preferring to play on the front foot they did that last night but still made a complete mess of it.

This was a genuine message to me from a lifelong friend whose own lifelong friend is the ITK (who I also know from way back). I know the player's name and have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the message content. I didn't state the player's name so as not to embarrass/compromise anyone.
  • Lukerz said:

I was speaking to my dad, & I am not going to call for Moyes to go. For me, out of respect & some of the memories of the last two years, he deserves to see the season out &, if he does, I think we’ll be fine. I understand if we keep losing, his position will become untenable, but I am happy with him continuing to try & recover the season. I also don’t think there’s anybody available who will be an improvement on what he has done & he is probably best placed to keep us up. If we sacked him, we’d basically all be saying ‘we need a David Moyes type manager’.

This👆very much this.👏
  • ** Disclaimer ** The following is based on hearsay so I don't have any links to when it was reported or by whom but rest assured it has been. ok

David Moyes was supposed to have been given three games to rectify the mess we find ourselves in, two down & no positive return? He was also expected to reach 20 points by the halfway point of the season, that is now not going to happen. How are the board going to play this going forward win @ Leeds, then draw the next two but lose the last three of the block of eight then decide his time is up by which time the transfer window will have closed. IF as has been reported G&S are looking to sell the club then a Championship one is less valuable.

• If we win the next two we do achieve the 20 points by the halfway point so does that satisfy G&S
  • It could be argued that Moyes ought to be given the chance to show what he can do when he gets his presumably first choice players back - Aguerd, Zouma, Cornet.
    Unfortunately the expected return dates of the last two may be too late.

It could also be argued that it doesn't matter who he has at his disposal, his tactics are not working and, as has been mentioned numerous times, we've been sussed out.
    In which case, unless he can change his approach, I think (reluctantly), he needs to go.

• With all his experience, I'm struggling to see why Moyes keeps us playing a style that obviously isn't working for us. Our recent successes have generally been played by counter-attacking, and therein lies 2 problems. Firstly, teams get wise to the tactic and leave less space in behind. Secondly, Scamacca isn't really that type of CF as he's not particularly quick.

We struggled towards the tail end of last season, but fortunately we were still scoring some set piece goals that this season don't seem to be going in.

Maybe Moyes believed his own hype and thought we were better than we actually were, and that we were/are good enough to break down set defences. This is clearly not the case, with only 13 goals in 17 matches, but it gets worse when you look at the breakdown of those goals. 3 penalties, 2 from corners, 2 quick counters and one deflected effort that wrong footed the keeper. 5 goals from open play that weren't either counter-attacks or rather fortunate, in 17 matches.

Admittedly we've been unlucky with injuries, and have barely seen 2 of our new signings in Aguerd and Cornet, and, if we're being honest, Paqueta has yet to live up to expectations, but Moyes has to realise that we need to play much more on the front foot and attack with pace. As much as he might not want to believe it, we haven't got the quality to unpick defences that have had time to get into position on a regular basis, so we need to attack them before they have time to get set.

As had already been said, if Moyes is sacked, it will be to bring in a Moyes type manager, which isn't really something I'd like to see us do, but Moyes has got to get his head out of the sand and start making some changes. Fabianski and Cresswell are the two that are really big calls that need to be made imo; Fabianski has been beaten by too many shots that you think shouldn't be going in, and Cresswell was embarrassed for pace against Brentford last night. Then he needs to get us playing with more urgency, don't be afraid to play more direct at times as a slow, patient build-up isn't reaping any rewards.
  • Miss Slav.. and all that
  • edited December 2022

If we win the next two we do achieve the 20 points by the halfway point so does that satisfy G&S

Error made by me, sorry! Yes we will IF we do win the next two but are the cracks too big for that to paper over them?
  • The question is has he lost the dressing ,Dont think he has yet ,But may after the next 3 games unless something changes
  • I didn't want him sacked, I wanted him to succeed. I'm not fussed how we play, if we're getting points on the board. Not only are we not getting points on the board, we're not looking like we're going to get any points. He has to change his and the teams approach or not only will lose his job, we'll be relegated. 20 years ago that wouldn't have been such a problem but in today's Premier league, it could take years to get back to where we are now.
  • Could have called the Hokey Cokey thread hahaha
  • Preston, I think we all want him to succeed, the way things are we would accept a few scrappy 1-0 wins much like AFC & Liverpool used to get to win titles with!
  • If I thought he could turn it around I'd be saying 100% he should stay but he's not shown in 2022 that he can

Hes a lot like Southgate in where when it's going good it's very good but once the game starts going away from him he doesn't know how to change the momentum, he's got no plan B or C

It's been a blast but everyone looks miserable playing under him and think we need new life or risk getting relegated which this team is far too good for
  • 2022 calendar year stat:

West Ham have won just 11 Premier League games in 35, and from April they've managed just five wins in their last 23.

For further context, those 11 wins came against: Crystal Palace, Norwich X2, Watford, Wolves X2, Aston Villa X2, Everton, Fulham and Bournemouth.
  • Ravel49 said:

2022 calendar year stat:

West Ham have won just 11 Premier League games in 35, and from April they've managed just five wins in their last 23.

For further context, those 11 wins came against: Crystal Palace, Norwich X2, Watford, Wolves X2, Aston Villa X2, Everton, Fulham and Bournemouth.

That really is a sorry sight
  • Apart from the first game mentioned of course 🤡
  • Ravel49 said:

Apart from the first game mentioned of course 🤡

A distant memory
  • I cannot imagine another club who after a successful run look to improve their team by bringing in three current first team internationals, an Italian striker, a Brazilian midfielder and a German defender - and the results go backwards.

How West Ham is that - you can be forgiven for thinking that you cannot make it up
  • Or we get a billionaire owner, who goes bust a year or so later hahaha. So West Ham.
  • See Scott Parker is off our list of potential new managers, IF we need one 😉, as he is taking over at Bruges.
  • I cannot imagine another club who after a successful run look to improve their team by bringing in three current first team internationals, an Italian striker, a Brazilian midfielder and a German defender - and the results go backwards.

How West Ham is that - you can be forgiven for thinking that you cannot make it up

Nail on the head

I don't want to concern you Chicago but apparently Messi has just announced he has always dreamt of ending his career with West Ham, certs for League 1 now if he comes.
This discussion has been closed.