The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

1222324252628»

Comments

• TV pundits are saying “we have never seen a cup final like it”.

* one team go 2-0 up, brought back to 2-2,: then go into lead again
    * last gasp equaliser
    * 3-3 AET, goes to penalties
    * Lionel Scaloni !!!

Did anyone else have a scary Groundhog Day?😭⚒
  • Don’t know why Shearer, Ferdinand etc called it the greatest World Cup final ever. For the first 70 minutes it was boring as France were doing nothing and hadn’t even mustered a shot. If Otamendi hadn’t conceded a penalty it would probably have ended up 2-0 and they would have said the most boring.
  • Yeah but if my auntie was a bloke she’d be my uncle.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • It wasn't boring at all imo. True France didn't show up for 70 minutes, for France insert Mbappe, but Messi was mesmerising and the second goal was a brilliant move.
  • I'd forgotten just how much I hate the dirty, diving, cheating Argies. It all came back, Rattin, Hand of God, Simeone getting Beckham sent off

Worst of all they had me supporting the French and I'll never forgive them for that!
  • Thought the Polish ref was Man of the Match. I actually applauded at HT when, surrounded by whingeing Argentines, he stood there, pointed to the dressing room...and they all just trudged off. 👏
  • edited December 2022
    I do think it was the most exciting final ,But for me the Brazil team of 1970 was just pure magic in the final .And yes i am that old to remember it like it was yesterday
  • Brazil v Italy was rather one-sided but I remember the Germany v Italy semi final was a cracker

I had the Esso World Cup coin collection and the FKS World Cup Soccer Stars album

I sulked every time my Dad drove past an Esso petrol station as it was a lost opportunity to complete my collection
  • The 1954 final was a good one, Hungary 2-0 up and then Germany levelled at 2-2 all by half time. Germany got a late winner to win 3-2.
    1958 final with Pele running riot
    The 1966 final had all the drama of yesterday without the pens.
  • steve said:

I do think it was the most exciting final ,But for me the Brazil team of 1970 was just pure magic in the final .And yes i am that old to remember it like it was yesterday

I agree, I think that Brazil side was the nearest thing to football purity.In recent tournaments we know all the players from watching them in ours and the European leagues, back then they were semi- mystical figures that we’d only vaguely heard of , so when they played the way that they did it was truly jaw dropping.

• And the black and white photos back then made it even more magical.
  • What saddens me is that I know I will not see another England World Cup victory in my lifetime.
  • You got less than 4 years to live? :)
  • Possibly. I have a heart condition, basically it’s failing, and they gave me all the meds they use and said without them I’d have 2 years max and with them I should hopefully get 5. That was more than a year ago.
    A transplant is the best way to go but they told me I can forget about that. Who knows, maybe within those next 4 years they’ll have something different. Maybe I’ll defy them anyway.
    Luckily being a Hammer I don’t have any overly stressful times to put pressure on it.
  • Crikey Thorn. I wish you all the very best my friend.
  • Sorry to hear your troubles Thorn.
    I wish you all the best.
  • Nice haircut Slacker

• All the best thorn.
  • Sorry I hadn’t seen thorns post, making my post inappropriate
    All the best to you Thorn 🙏🏻
  • Thorn lots of love and best wishes ,
  • Thorn, that sounds sounds like a tough hand to be dealt, thinking of you and your family
  • Cheers everybody. It is what it is and I could just as easily fall off the ladder taking down the outside Christmas lights which I nearly did putting them up.
  • I now obviously regret my stupid quip! I hope you defy and keep on defying Thorn
  • edited December 2022
    Baz don’t worry about it, you weren’t to know and I thought you were just asking the question and I thought you seriously thought we might win it in 2026 😀
  • Sorry to hear that Thorn but maybe they haven't considered the conditioning being a West Ham fan has given your heart, I'm sure it can bear more than they expect.

Though I suspect on the World Cup thing you would've still seen one more than the rest of us will in our lifetimes.
  • Cheers everybody. It is what it is and I could just as easily fall off the ladder taking down the outside Christmas lights which I nearly did putting them up.

Stay strong Thornbury (you need a strong constitution to support West Ham so you're halfway there), and don't bother with ladders for Xmas deccies, or Xmas deccies at all #bahhumbug
  • Sorry to hear about your health challenges, thorn. One day at a time, it's all any of us can do. Enjoy the days we have xx
  • Possibly. I have a heart condition, basically it’s failing, and they gave me all the meds they use and said without them I’d have 2 years max and with them I should hopefully get 5. That was more than a year ago.
    A transplant is the best way to go but they told me I can forget about that. Who knows, maybe within those next 4 years they’ll have something different. Maybe I’ll defy them anyway.
    Luckily being a Hammer I don’t have any overly stressful times to put pressure on it.

Hope you get many more years to come following West Ham.