The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

Comments

• Genius substitution by Deschamps =)
  • Slacker said:

Hang on, a spat without me involved?
    How very dare you!😉

Slacker, not a spat, merely a differing of opinions ;)
  • Slacker said:

Hang on, a spat without me involved?
    How very dare you!😉

Slacker, not a spat, merely a differing of opinions ;)
    Yeah, I was merely joking.

• I'm editing to keep your post to remove the 'yawn', which is insulting to the original poster. The rest of your comment stands.
  • Who'd have thought "yawn" could be considered insulting? Strange times we're living in.
  • Who'd have thought "yawn" could be considered insulting? Strange times we're living in.

Yawn
  • edited December 2022

Who'd have thought "yawn" could be considered insulting? Strange times we're living in.

Ah, I see. You posted ' yawn' as a shorthand for 'what an apposite quotation from the Bard, you are obviously a cultured and perspicacious chap and we should get together for a pint of foaming ale and a good old chat at the earliest opportunity'.

I think that's what Alderz meant too.

Ps. Knowing your love of Wordle etc, here's a challenge.

An anagram.

Disnigenuous..

Whaddaya reckon that might be?
  • edited December 2022
    How so expected that alderz posts "yawn" & there you are again with your laugh reaction.
    Yawn.
  • Shakespeare preferred Mead.
  • How so expected that alderz posts "yawn" & there you are again with your laugh reaction.
    Yawn.

So, wait. Is yawn ok? Or not ok?

I've lost track.
  • How so expected that alderz posts "yawn" & there you are again with your laugh reaction.

Why are you bothered, I was responding to Alderz.

Oh, hang on...
  • MrsGrey said:

How so expected that alderz posts "yawn" & there you are again with your laugh reaction.
    Yawn.

So, wait. Is yawn ok? Or not ok?

I've lost track.
    No idea
  • So, let's hope Aguerd hasn't aggravated his injury too much 🤞🤞🤞
  • Aguerd, must be the best possible outcome, can’t have been too bad or he would not have been on the pitch, didn’t play, so didn’t aggravate injury, not in final so has time to recover (refuses to play in 3rd place game)
  • Class from the French players after the final whistle. An antidote to the toxic Argentina Netherlands ending.
  • Didn’t watch the game
    Or read any reports
    Just saw the score
    Came on here and saw for me 35 new comments
    Thought there must have been drama
    But no
    Just #yawngate
    🥱
  • Aguerd, must be the best possible outcome, can’t have been too bad or he would not have been on the pitch, didn’t play, so didn’t aggravate injury, not in final so has time to recover (refuses to play in 3rd place game)

May have aggravated it by "testing" it as he warmed up.
  • MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

For God, Harry and St George?

Yawn, did Shakespeare watch football then?
    What's the 'yawn' for, please?
    Why are you bothered, I was replying to Herb?
    Whats the 'yawn' for please?
  • Buffy. I suppose if you look hard enough it's always possible to find a negative.
  • edited December 2022

Buffy. I suppose if you look hard enough it's always possible to find a negative.

Indeed, but you would assume the only way he ruled himself out in the warm-up is if he felt pain, which usually means some damage has been done 🤷‍♂️. I wasn't watching, but I'd have thought he was put through a fairly rigorous warm up to see if he was OK to play, especially as his CB partner was also carrying a bad knock.
  • Please stop it … All this mentioning of yawn is half making me sleepy 🥱 …💨💨💨💨
  • Shakespeare preferred Mead.

Maybe not

Metheglin (mead) is only mentioned twice in Shakespeare, Love's Labours Lost and The Merry Wives of Windsor

Malmsey (Maderia) gets three mentions; Love's Labours Lost, Henry IV part 2 and famously Richard III

Canary (like a yellow Maderia) gets a mention in Twelfth Night and The Merry Wives of Windsor

Aque Vita - either whisky or brandy - gets six mentions, twice in Romeo & Juliet, both times by the nurse

Sack (sherry) gets mentioned a lot in the John Falstaff plays, Henry IV Parts 1 and 2, and The Merry Wives of Windsor although apparently not Henry V. Also in Twelfth Night and Tempest

There are around 70 mentions of wine, I think every play ahs at least one reference to wine

I think Shakespeare was like Dean Martin; praying for rain in California
  • Brilliant Shakespeare statting.......or could be completely made up. I haven't got the Will to check it.
  • See what you did there....
  • This could get Bard...
  • I was only joking about the Mead hahaha
  • Gianni Infantino is so far removed from the average football fan it's not true. Reading the guff he spouts just so winds me up. Anyone could tell that 16 groups of 3 was a useless idea (I mentioned it here already weeks ago) and now he thinks it might not be a great idea. The alternaticve? 12 groups of 4, but then you can have teams finishing third and still making the last 32 (as well as adding a match for any team getting to the last 32).

As for the World Club Cup being a 32 team event??? So another major event that players have to play at the end of a season.

Really can't stand the bloke, and I can't believe he's getting in unopposed for another term 😭😭😭
  • Was Sepp Blatter that bad? O.o
  • You just had to 'watch' him in action to see how bad he was
  • 12 groups of 4, but then you can have teams finishing third and still making the last 32

1986, 1990 and 1994 four out of six third-place teams advanced to the round of 16.

Some 3rd place teams did rather well, 1986 Belgium got to the semis, 1990 Argentia got to the final and 1994 Italy got to the final