January Transfer Window

Comments

• edited January 2022

We have Rice on a contract until 2024 with the option of a one year extension and a lot can happen in three seasons.

Moyes has transformed this team, every signing improves the squad and under his management it can improve even further.

At the moment the only clubs that offer better options are City, Liverpool and maybe Chelsea (Tuchel has been in charge for less than a year).

Man U, Spurs and Arsenal are still uncertain (and that's despite Arteta being there for more than two years).

Where exactly is Rice going to go?

Chelsea has always been the obvious one, due to it being where he came from, and his personal connections there, but as you mention yourself City and Liverpool could afford him also and fulfil his aims of competing for each major trophy each season. I think City would be his safest bet but I still think it will be Chelsea.

For me the question is not if but when? This summer or next. I suspect this.
  • Hamstew said:

Are we ever going to sign a striker

Nah.
  • Spurs apparently in talks with Lingard about a summer move.

That would make it interesting when they come to the bowl next season.
  • I'm confused Spurs have been allowed to talk to Lingard. Didn't we used to call that 'tapping up'?

Surely Man Utd wouldn't give permission for him to do so.
  • I guess as he's out of contract it's his prerogative as to who he speaks to about his next contract. Man U have no say in what he does in June.
  • Starting to wish he would go somewhere ,at lest then we could move on
  • Barney said:

When we find the right match

A striker who'll be on fire.
  • Lingard may do for them what they always hoped Dele Ali would!
  • I guess as he's out of contract it's his prerogative as to who he speaks to about his next contract. Man U have no say in what he does in June.

Isn't it in the Jan window a player out of contract can talk to whoever, and sign a pre-contract agreement?
  • I thought it was only with foreign clubs from January
  • I thought it was only with foreign clubs, too.
  • Chelsea has always been the obvious one, due to it being where he came from, and his personal connections there, but as you mention yourself City and Liverpool could afford him also and fulfil his aims of competing for each major trophy each season. I think City would be his safest bet but I still think it will be Chelsea.

For me the question is not if but when? This summer or next. I suspect this.

Thankfully City, Liverpool and Chelsea don't seem to be lacking in the DM/CM department so even given Rice's quality I don't think they'll be desperate to part with £100m or more to add another player in a position where there's plenty of competition already.

On the other hand Man U, Spurs and Arsenal could certain benefit from a bit of quality in the middle of the pitch but at the moment they don't really offer any better prospect of silverware than West Ham.
  • I thought it was only with foreign clubs from January

I thought it was only with foreign clubs, too.

I think it is (certainly was in my FM days), but I guess there's nothing stopping intermediary agents talking to each other. If Spurs use an agent to talk to Lingard's agents, I guess it isn't 'tapping up' as we used to know it.
  • As I said a few weeks ago, Lingard will not end up here. Last summer was the chance.
  • c+b, jorderz, OCS
    Ah, yes, that rings a bell. I think you're right.

BBC article I read doesn't say anyone is talking to the player direct, so maybe that's allowed.

• edited January 2022
    Ex transfer update:

Nothing's happening, basically.

Lloyd Kelly and James Tarkowski are the players that Moyes wants, but neither Bournemouth nor Burnley are likely to sell key players with promotion and relegation at stake respectively, so we're likely to wait until the summer to see what their situations are then.

Couple of French strikers targeted, but loan moves most likely as Moyes doesn't want to commit big money on unknown quantities. Can't see teams being willing to loan out their best players, so these too appear to be non-starters.

And that's basically it. Few U23s on trial but that won't impact the first team.
  • I feel like the tapping up things isn’t working enforced much these days anyway. You constantly hear about managers talking to players on WhatsApp.

Anyway. I wonder what Lukerz thinks about Lingard.
  • Apparently Burnley prepared to let Chris Wood go to Newcastle ? surely thats relegation fodder ? akin to when Swansea sold us Ayew i think it was.
  • I don’t know why he didn’t feel he wanted to come here & continue his positive momentum, but he must have his reasons. I would assume it’s geographical. I doubt he’ll go to Spurs either. It’s a shame as I enjoyed watching him play with a new lease of life & like he was enjoining being a footballer again but it’s his prerogative.
  • OCS, I look forward to seeing an update from EX when there is something actually happening. 😉
  • Ex transfer update:

Lloyd Kelly and James Tarkowski are the players that Moyes wants, but neither Bournemouth nor Burnley are likely to sell key players with promotion and relegation at stake respectively, so we're likely to wait until the summer to see what their situations are then.

Couple of French strikers targeted, but loan moves most likely as Moyes doesn't want to commit big money on unknown quantities. Can't see teams being willing to loan out their best players, so these too appear to be non-starters.

And that's basically it. Few U23s on trial but that won't impact the first team.

That really is quite depressing if true. How can we be no where near getting a striker in still?
    I actually refuse that this can be true.
  • Hamstew said:

Ex transfer update:

That really is quite depressing if true. How can we be no where near getting a striker in still?
    Yeah, it's a strange one. Of course, there could be plenty going on that isn't being leaked/reported, but to be a third of the way through the third transfer window since letting Haller go and still no closer to signing a replacement is a bit disheartening.
  • Even our striker is saying we need a striker lol
  • Hamstew said:

Even our striker is saying we need a striker lol

Even Margeret Thatcher (were she alive) would say we need a striker.
  • Newcastle close to signing Wood. Apparently has a release clause in his contract.

Feels pretty dirty to me. Newcastle using their Saudi money to strengthen themselves and weaken a rival who are on the same points as them, and Burnley are helpless to stop them.

I know they didn't have to put a release clause in. I know wealthy clubs have been doing this in the PL long before Newcastle. But still don't like it.
  • Lukerz said:

As I said a few weeks ago, Lingard will not end up here. Last summer was the chance.

Your opinion or have you got a back channel going on?😉

• Hamstew said:

Ex transfer update:

Yeah, it's a strange one. Of course, there could be plenty going on that isn't being leaked/reported, but to be a third of the way through the third transfer window since letting Haller go and still no closer to signing a replacement is a bit disheartening.
    I'm not sure Ex knows as much as he used to. I think the club are a lot more careful with leaks these days. I'm sure even Moyes said something along those lines.
  • I think Moyes has worked hard to keep things behind closed doors. Which is a good thing.
  • Ex quoted as saying 'but neither Bournemouth nor Burnley are likely to sell key players with promotion and relegation at stake respectively,' Newcastle meet Woods £25m release clause, yes £25m!

I bet the Toon are choking on their Newcie Brown.
  • Ironherb, Burnley under less pressure to sell Tarkowski now even if he leaves on a free in the summer. They can use the Wood money to buy someone like Diaz or a CF from France.
This discussion has been closed.