Eagles šŸ¦… v Hammers āš’ - Saturday 1st January, 5:30pm

Comments

• So I canā€™t believe Diop gives away that foul then watched the cross fly past him into the net instead of trying to head it
  • Lukerz said:

So I canā€™t believe Diop gives away that foul then watched the cross fly past him into the net instead of trying to head it

Diop isn't a CB, he's not got the intelligence for it

Has all the athleticism but none of the know how and Dawson hasnt the athleticism to bail him out when he makes mistakes
  • If Palace had their shooting boots on from the start we would have been out of sight before half time ourselves.

So lucky.
  • Given Palace's home form, this is actually a good win. It's just been overshadowed somewhat by more shambolic defending.
  • Diop and Masuaku just.... they cant defend.
  • Diop actually ducked for their first goal. Like actually ducked out of the way.
  • Lukerz said:

So I canā€™t believe Diop gives away that foul then watched the cross fly past him into the net instead of trying to head it

Diop isn't a CB, he's not got the intelligence for it

Has all the athleticism but none of the know how and Dawson hasnt the athleticism to bail him out when he makes mistakes
    So much of a defender's game is played in the head. It's what made Bobby Moore so good.

From what I've seen, Diop doesn't really have any football intelligence. He doesn't read the game or any given situation well. He's 6'4" but is so often caught underneath the ball, which makes his positioning very questionable.
  • That is a great result but not a great performance. We were fortunate to have them without their best two players in Zaha and Gallagher, they also failed to convert a good few opportunities that other opponents would have buried.

Despite some poor results against Burnley and Southampton we have managed to retain our position due to two good away results at Watford and Palace. We need make the most of the weeks rest and then we have Leeds in the cup followed Norwich and Leeds at home in the league.

Spurs and Arsenal play each other next in the league so if we can take three points at Norwich we will really make some gains again on at least one of them.
  • Hamstew said:

Diop actually ducked for their first goal. Like actually ducked out of the way.

Yeah, just seen it again. Awful. Neither marking the player or attacking the ball. Basically just standing still in his own box.
  • The fact we're 5th in the league and have played many games with Diop and Arthur in defense is actually unbelievable.
  • Vieira actually speaking really well. Concedes it was a penalty and says our experience essentially won the game. Says Palace were the better team and I can't disagree with any of that.
  • Viera spoke very well on his sky interview, I was impressed by him
  • Unlike Joachim Anderson!
  • Vieira actually speaking really well. Concedes it was a penalty and says our experience essentially won the game. Says Palace were the better team and I can't disagree with any of that.

If he thought it was a penalty, what was he so annoyed about at HT and FT?
  • Carroll > Mateta
  • Just noticed Arsenal play spurs next.
  • Lanzini's goal was stunning. The control and touches before the finish are sublime.
  • Hamstew said:

Just noticed Arsenal play spurs next.

Plus United (7th) face Wolves (8th) in one of their games in hands on Monday, would be good for a score draw there

Exactly, he comes across as a gentleman, acknowledging that it WAS a penalty, so what did say to warrant the yellow card at the end of the gameā€¦. Congratulating the ref and VAR for getting the decision rightā€¦
    Sorry , donā€™t get impressed by thatā€¦
    Two faced comes to mind ā€¦
  • We are still very vulnerable defensively. I still hold hope for Diop, but he was particularly poor today unfortunately. I think he's lost his confidence a bit and his performances are suffering. I do worry if we can make his decision making better, I so hope so because he has some other great attributes for a CB.

I think he could do with being dropped for a couple of games and hitting training hard, but it will require us to bring in a replacement for that to happen.

On the plus side however, we are scoring well. I also like how we've got goals in us from quite a few different players, and we are able to score in different styles as well. We look really good going forward atm.

Benrahma's ball for the first goal was superb. We are going to miss him this month, but I think (hope) we can cope in the attacking midfield posistions, big chance for Vlasic now.

From what he said it was something else between him and the ref.
  • edited January 2022
    Very good analysis of the game from Karen Carney on sky. She reckons West Ham may need to ā€œstrengthen their defence in Januaryā€. You would have thought somebody would have thought of that before now! šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
  • Dont mention karen carney .I just mute her when shes on cant stand her ........Oh good win by the way =)
  • Very good analysis of the game from Karen Carney on sky. She reckons West Ham may need to ā€œstrengthen their defence in Januaryā€. You would have thought somebody would have thought of that before now! šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Itā€™s better than the guy who was on co-comms for Sky tonight. He spent the entire match saying how solid we are and how hard we are to break down, as Palace created chance after chance for 94 minutes.
  • Echoing the statements about Lanzini's return this season to the Lanzini of old. It is such a delight to see, and I really feel he could go back to being one of the first names on the team sheet. At his best he really is fantastic. Our most technically gifted player at the club quite comfortably IMO.

It was a bad injury that took him out, that not only hit him hard physically, but I feel the mental side was the most problematic. This part made him ineffective for a fair while after he returned to the team. He was clearly terrified to engage in any 50/50's (hell even 70/30's), and it's impossible to play well when you have the fear. However that seems completely out of his system now, and in fact he is now going in for tackles that he didn't even go for before his injury.

We may well see him not just get back to his best, but surpass it. I really hope so. He has fantastic ability.

šŸŽµ AIN'T NOBODY
  • Takes a mean penalty too :)
  • Love Lanzini. Always been one if my favourites

• Ain't too many like Antonio in the game

• What's Arabic for "what are you doing?"
  • Must admit, that was exquisite from Lanzini

One of those goals that if Salah, or Foden, or Ronaldo scored it, there'd be a national holiday already announced to celebrate it.
    OK. You can all have Monday off. šŸ˜