Hornets šŸ v Hammers āš’ - Tuesday 28th, 3pm

edited December 2021 in Match Threads
Right, marquee signing arrivesā€¦Lukerz, bag and phone in hand, ā€˜look whoā€™s backā€¦ā€™

Time for me to bag the 3 points (COVID permitting).

Side should be

Fabianski
Johnson - Dawson - Diop
Coufal - Soucek - Kral - Masuaku
Bowen - Fornals
Antonio

Benrahma doesnā€™t do enough to start the game despite his goal today. Diop & Dawson canā€™t be trusted as a two, so Johnson helps out. Time for the Czech boys to come in next to Coufal in a midfield 5.

Back to basics, solid at the back, gritty, Lanzini with a penalty (off the bench).

0-1
Ā«13456710

Comments

• Respect the point.
  • Those emojis are sexy Lukerz. Fair play.
    But....
    Can't win, won't win. Loss!
  • Your suggested back three were abysmal against Spurs, I donā€™t want to see them together.

Fabianski; Coufal Dawson Diop Johnson; Kral Soucek; Bowen Benrahma Vlasic; Antonio
  • edited December 2021
    alderz said:

Your suggested back three were abysmal against Spurs, I donā€™t want to see them together.

You donā€™t have to stay here alderzā€¦
  • Loss Watford will be rested we look tired and likely to concede
  • Loss. We'll make Watford look like 1970 Brazil.
  • edited December 2021
    alderz said:

Your suggested back three were abysmal against Spurs, I donā€™t want to see them together.

Fabianski; Coufal Dawson Diop Johnson; Kral Soucek; Bowen Benrahma Vlasic; Antonio

Benrahma starts ā€¦ Not for meā€¦
    Lanzini all day long
    Even Fornals before Benrahmaā€¦
    Benrahma is more a liability than an asset at the moment IMO
  • Would like to see a 433 shape with Lanzini deep

Fab
    Coufal Diop Dawson Johnson
    Soucek Kral Lanzini
    Bowen Antonio Vlasic

Would prefer Johnson over Masuaku, think he's limited there but he's a better 'defender' and offers us more protection, and atm it's that side of the game we're struggling with not the attacking aspect
  • We need Kral to sit in front of the back two & act as a proper shield to them. That way Soucek can focus on drifting into the box like he did last season. Johnson at LB is not a bad idea if we want to stick to a back four but he always looks awkward there.
  • Would like to see a 433 shape with Lanzini deep

Fab
    Coufal Diop Dawson Johnson
    Soucek Kral Lanzini
    Bowen Antonio Vlasic

Would prefer Johnson over Masuaku, think he's limited there but he's a better 'defender' and offers us more protection, and atm it's that side of the game we're struggling with not the attacking aspect

Iā€™d rather Fornals in there instead of Lanzini
  • To say Watford will be rested is an understatement as theyā€™ve not played since 10 December, that will be nigh on a three week break.
  • Although many of them have been ill.
  • As much as we would like to go back 3 plus wingbacks for better protection of our leaky defense, we cannot really with the personnel available.

For a back 3 to work the outside ones MUST be footed the side they play on to cover the marrauding wing back. It is much more important for the LCB of a back 3 to be left footed than a LCB in a back 4. They have to cover the wing side far more than a CB in a 2.

Whenever we have successfully played a back 3 it has been Cress, or on a couple of occassions Oggy, as the LCB.
  • Contrary to my point, we could go back 3, if Moyes is willing to trust and risk the left footed CB Alesse.

Or we continue to go with back 4 and give Longelo a go at LB.

I really think one of these options needs to be tried VS Watford. Masu just can't defend enough as a LB and Diop needs more help there.

So for me it's either:

------Diop-Dawson-Alese-----
    Coufal------------------Masuaku

OR

Coufal--Dawson--Diop--Longelo
  • Lukerz said:

alderz said:

You donā€™t have to stay here alderzā€¦
    Sorry, I donā€™t understand what you mean by this?
  • Sorry, it was tongue in cheek after the tone of the opening post. Was no way intended to be aggressive or anything. šŸ‘
  • Dont want to see Masuaku in the team
  • edited December 2021
    Watford's season so far

Under Munoz P7 W2 D1 L4 GF7 GA10
    Under Ranieri P9 W2 D0 L7 GF14 GA21

Watford have lost the last four and haven't kept a clean sheet all season but they have scored in the last five

They also haven't played since 10 December so either they'll be well rested or a bit rusty

Ranieri is still the "Tinkerman", changing his starting line up almost every game although he does have long term injuries to 1st choice keeper Ben Foster, RW Ismaila Sarr and CB Nicolas N'Koulou who only joined from Torino in the summer.

Only DM/CM Moussa Sissoko and CB Craig Cathcart have started all 9 Premier League games under Ranieri, CF/LW Josh King has started 8, LW/RW/CF Emmanuel Dennis and CB William Troost-Elong have started 7. Another 14 other players have featured in the starting line up

Dennis looks like a bit of a worry, he has started the last 6 matches and has scored 5 goals of his 7 goals under Ranieri. Against Everton Dennis came on with 25 minutes left when Watford were 2-1 down, scored, had two assists and earned his 5th yellow card of the season to earn a one match ban. Watford won 5-2.

We've won our last three meeting with Watford, 4-1, 3-1 and 3-1

The last time Moyes and Ranieri met in competition was 3rd December 2016, Sunderland v Leicester, 2-1. Ranieri got sacked in February
  • Southampton had n,t won in 6 I think and we had won our last 3 at home against them
  • Lukerz said:

Sorry, it was tongue in cheek after the tone of the opening post. Was no way intended to be aggressive or anything. šŸ‘

Thanks Luke! I read that immediately after a particularly not fun Boxing Day conversation about ā€œPC gone madā€ with my brother, which probably changed how I read it
  • edited December 2021
    I do think, actually, Kral, Noble, Johnson, Fredericks do need to come into the side. Watford have had 3 weeks off. We need as fresh a side as possible.

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Dawson - Diop - Johnson
    Noble (c) - Kral
    Vlasic - Fornals - Lanzini
    Antonio

Areola, Baptiste, Ashby, Coufal, Masuaku, Soucek, Benrahma, Yarmolenko, Bowen

I think Moyes will make changes having played poorly only 48 hours before this game. Watford have had 3 weeks of no games & whilst they may be rusty, they will be energised.
  • I actually thought we looked closer to ourselves after the first 20 mins or so and especially in the second half. I wouldn't make too many changes. When Antonio came on everyone looked better. I don't know how they've scored three goals yesterday.

One change is I think we need to get back to having Soucek being the one to get forward. Rice carries the ball well at times but often the impact is limited. Soucek is an average midfielder without his attacking input but we're also a much more average team without his attacking input and I think it's been sacrificed for Declan. Rice too often drives a bit, checks and then tries to play a sweeping pass out to Coufal. If we want to do well to keep Rice, maybe that means putting a check on his personal ambition within games.

Everyone looks worse than they did last season (apart from Rice) but a lot of that is confidence. We're a bit timid and not flowing as naturally as before but there were moments when things looked better yesterday. It just needs to click back into place.
  • šŸ‘ I thought we looked close to our old selves against Spurs despite the result. Yesterday I felt was a bit of a backward step but hopefully we arenā€™t far away. Defensively, the side is not focused.
  • Watford aren't great but I can hear the pundits now " This is a good time to play West Ham "
  • yoyo, Are you writing a preview piece for Lawro there?
  • Sky has it as 0-1 and Lawro as 2-1
  • Nowhere to put this but the English cricket team are an embarrassment hahaha
  • Just realised this is on on Amazon prime if anyone wants their day ruined.
  • Nowhere to put this but the English cricket team are an embarrassment hahaha

I take it that the "hahaha" means you're not interested in cricket Preston. =)