Chelsea (H) - Saturday 4th Dec, 12.30pm

Comments

• Watching the replay of Arthur's goal, and the way he shaped to kick the ball, I actually think it was deliberate and that he was just trying to catch Mendy out.
  • If Ronaldo had done it they would be saying genius. It was our Arthur so it's lucky.
  • Wow!! That was some game. Lost players through injuries but fully deserved to win. I am sure Masuaku meant that. He saw Chelsea goalies expecting a cross and caught him flatfooted at the near post.
  • I think it was a cross, but hopefully Arthur will be honest when asked. If it was meant, it was brilliant.
  • They had a lot of the ball but on the balance of chances we were worth the win. Coufal off the line, Bowen almost tapping in, the Bowen chance just after 3-2.

I know there are concerns about the squad size but one thing I do think is that everybody in this smaller squad comes in and contributes. They really know their job and play with the same discipline and effort.

You might not always get that with a bigger squad.
  • edited December 2021
    We could have had 4 or 5
  • I am after we smash Chelsea.

We'll probably go and win this one. The West Ham Way =)

The dream team 😁😁😁
    First names on the team sheet 😂

Then OCS.
    Thornbury giving the manager a decision to make.
  • edited December 2021
    Masuaku, having only played half the game, had the highest number of tackles and interceptions in the game (5).

Soucek covered 12km, the next highest in the match was almost 1km behind (Coufal 11.2km)
  • Zola gutted Chelsea lost.
  • MrsGrey said:

Zola gutted Chelsea lost.

And Rio trying to reclaim his West Ham roots =)
  • Had a stinking cold all week and only got my voice back yesterday.
    Oh well….
  • edited December 2021
    I think that's what you call balancing out as we lost the three points on Wednesday due to a moment of brilliance and we won three points today due to a moment of brilliance/freakish fortune.

I actually didn't think we played that well and deserved the three points on Wednesday more than we did today. This said we were very resolute in defence today which was even more impressive having lost two defenders.

I think the best bit of good fortune was giving away the goal before half time as otherwise Moyes would have sent the team out very differently and reverted to getting behind the ball. I think he gave the team the green light to attack, and as we showed against Liverpool we can take a match to these big teams, what we can't do is prevent them scoring over the course of a game when they have such talented players. A classic example of the best form of defence is attack.
  • At 2-2 I had the world's funniest joke ever primed and ready to post. Then we won. That's put the mockers on my fun for the weekend. Thanks for that, Arthur
  • Just here to say YEEEEEEESSSS that was a cracking performance and for some reason made me feel even happier than when we stuffed Liverpool..and Man City and Man United 😁😁😁
  • I think we played really well second half. Fab barely had anything to do.
  • Not bad for a team being found out as having players that aren't Prem standard
  • My god Bowen was incredible today.
  • edited December 2021
    So many players gave their all today.
    Considering by the end of the game we were without our regular 4 at the back ( Ogbonna, Zouma, Cresswell & Johnson we didn’t half do well. )…
    A great penalty taken by our little gem , a very nice Bowen goal and King Arthur the match winner with a freakish great cross/ goal…
    Only downside the injuries but a great weekend for all Hammers around the world… Keep safe all ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • When the third goal went in, I reckon most of Manchester heard me roar hahaha
  • What a result!
  • I hope the news on Zouma isn't too bad as to lose both Oggy and Zouma is too much for us and would probably ensure we need bring in another centre back in January.
  • Terrific result and performance. Bowen was immense. Lovely to see Chelsea's confidence drain after the equaliser and disappear after our magical winner.
    The injuries in defence would have have been worrying in previous seasons, but we can still put out
    Coufal Diop Dawson Masuaku,
    with Rice able to play in a back 3 if needed, replaced by either Kral or Noble, and with Fredericks on the bench.
    Let's play a lot of the under 23 team on Thursday to rest some key players and then crack on with trying to finish Top 4.
  • edited December 2021
    One of my Spurs supporting friends said this in our group chat:
    Brent said:

I saw some of this and it sickens me a bit to say, but west ham are quite comfortably the 4th best team in the league

• There are only 4 teams in the league with a positive goal difference and they are the present top 4.

Also Soucek has run further than any other player this season.
  • edited December 2021
    I have never bought into the view that his form has dropped, I think he is being asked to play slightly deeper . He was good today and i loved seeing him so attentive the czech fans he saw in the crowd.

I have a feeling we may see Dec asked to sit deeper now as extra security with Zouma out so may Soucek will be seen in the box a little more.
  • Yes, that was nice, wasn't it.