Chelsea (H) - Saturday 4th Dec, 12.30pm

Comments

• The confusing handwritten note Rice received near the end said,

Dinnae let th' muckle laddie in th' middle git goalside, kick him in th' shins if ye hae tae
  • Still very happy =)
  • edited December 2021
    Dodger58 said:

From the Guardian match report: “… when a mis-hit cross from Masuaku, who rarely looks like he knows what he is going to do next, flew inside the near post to put West Ham 3-2 up with three minutes left.”
    =)

Obviously an ignorantly biased , bad losing Chelsea fan
  • yoyo said:

Dodger58 said:

From the Guardian match report: “… when a mis-hit cross from Masuaku, who rarely looks like he knows what he is going to do next, flew inside the near post to put West Ham 3-2 up with three minutes left.”
    =)

Jacob Steinberg. Famous West Ham fan and journalist of renown.
  • Dodger58 said:

The confusing handwritten note Rice received near the end said,

Dinnae let th' muckle laddie in th' middle git goalside, kick him in th' shins if ye hae tae

Top post.
  • Have to admit it was not mine, seen in the comments section, but thought it worth posting.

Reminds me of Paolo Wanchope, but if they don’t know what they’re doing, how can their opponents =)
  • MrsGrey said:

yoyo said:

Dodger58 said:

=)

Jacob Steinberg. Famous West Ham fan and journalist of renown.
    Then he should know better and give us some praise . Obviously the post is paraphrased and cut short but on reading the post it reads like sour grapes
  • thornburyiron wrote -
    For the past 18 months we’ve had some average players playing way above themselves. They’re now playing at their normal level and we are getting seriously found out.

That aged well. 😂

OldCastleSwift wrote -
    Rice to CB and Kral on I hope

Lucky Moyes wasn't reading this forum. 😀

PrestonHammer wrote -
    When the third goal went in, I reckon most of Manchester heard me roar hahaha

I reckon half of Manchester joined in. 🥳

Dodger58 wrote -
    From the Guardian match report: “… when a mis-hit cross from Masuaku, who rarely looks like he knows what he is going to do next, flew inside the near post to put West Ham 3-2 up with three minutes left.

This journo knows his onions. ✅

• edited December 2021
    As a hammer then it's tongue in cheek, but not knowing who he is it read differently. I'm not letting anyone ruin my happy day!
  • A better performance, than against Brighton, against a stuttering Chelsea. I think most were hoping for Lanzini over Benrahma and we got it, and it worked out well. Really disappointing to concede from a corner and one of Rice's few errors allowed them to break for their second, which I thought Mount took brilliantly. Although Chelsea had plenty of shots Fab wasn't unduly troubled.

Lanzini scored with a calmly taken pen and played well. Rice just had another Rice game and Antonio showed some improvement on recent form but still frustrates. Bowen was excellent and finally scored a good goal.

As that journo wrote, Arthur did what Arthur does and scored what I thought was a cracker but he came out and said it was a bit of luck, but so what? By the way he became the sixteenth player to score for us this season, which is quite remarkable.
    To win the game whilst having to overcome injuries to Johnson and Zouma and ONLY having 35% possession was terrific.

It's always good to win a derby, it's always good to beat the league leaders and it's always good to beat Chelsea.

COYI
  • From the OS report on the U23's win over Swansea in the League Cup -

The seven who move out of the starting XI are Harrison Ashby (suspended today), Freddie Potts, Jamal Baptiste, Sonny Perkins, Dan Chesters, Kamarai Swyer and Armstrong Okoflex (the latter three on the bench today).

Maybe a clue to Thursdays game against Zagreb.
  • I thought Fornals and Benrahma looked sharp when they came on. They added some crisp passing and movement at a time when we could've got stuck. Lanzini starting was much better than Benrahma has been for a few weeks but also having those two came on gave us a lift when we needed it, of a type we haven't really had for a while. Think all three of them benefit from competition and maybe a bit of rotation. Lanzini certainly looks hungrier than he has for a long, long time.

I think what looked like two up front with Johnson as LWB wasn't working. He was just far too deep and so Antonio was coming wide constantly on his own. The enforced changes actually helped us. We only had one home game in November and maybe that was also why we've been a bit sluggish. I think as the game went on we got back to being ourselves today.
  • That's a good point about Johnson/Antonio, Outcast. Antonio certainly seemed to be playing wide left a fair bit, and Johnson's reluctance to get forward could be why.

Cresswell is pretty good at pushing on and obviously put in a great ball with his left; Johnson just doesn't offer the same attacking threat which may have forced Antonio out wide.
  • Have to hope that whatever popped of Zouma isn't the reoccurrence of that Knee that put him out for over a season.
  • Does anyone know whether any of the u23 centre backs are anywhere near being able to make the bench in case of injury to Dawson or Diop or would we have to rely on Rice or Soucek to fill in?
  • What a game, ended up recording it and watching it on my own, if anyone peaked in they would have determined that the occupant was probably certifiable, I do not know if Alexa was listening but even she would have been confused, we were definitely second best for the first 30mins and way too cautious and respectful, Chelsea looked quicker to every ball and passed with more purpose than we appeared capable of.

We were gifted a penalty against the run of play to get back in it but quickly managed to fall behind once more.

I do not know what DM said at half-time but I think that someone, somewhere threw a couple of virgins into a volcano and the gods delivered.

Bowen appeared possessed in the second half and I did not know if Arthur’s goal was fluky or genius, given his goal record I can only assume that it was unintentional and a cross that weirdly flew off his boot but at the need of the day, I did not, and do not care.

Happy days

COYI
  • Does anyone know whether any of the u23 centre backs are anywhere near being able to make the bench in case of injury to Dawson or Diop or would we have to rely on Rice or Soucek to fill in?

Jamal Baptiste and Ajibola Alese are both highly regarded, and both have made the bench before and I think have both got one senior appearance apiece for us in cup games. Presumably one or both of them would be considered
  • Memo to Moyes....Lanzini must play in all future matches, to take all the penalties that, as a Top Four Team, we will be given. Unless Nobes is playing. 😉
  • Don’t we have a CB on loan at Sunderland…. But if I remember rightly he’s not getting much game time so probably not ready for our first team squad , as Alderz said the two mentioned are both thought highly off…
    I’m sure now, was before the weekend a new CB will be incoming in January….
  • edited December 2021
    Moyes did a good job switching the system at half time but I was surprised he didn’t start with that system, personally.

When I saw the side, I assumed it was Bowen & Antonio up top & Lanzini just behind making a midfield 3, so was surprised when it was Lanzini more from the left. This almost meant we were going to be outnumbered centrally with their midfield options & Rice & Soucek do a lot of running whilst we can’t really get close to them.

When Masuaku came on I sent a text to my Dad saying ‘he’ll give us more than Johnson’ & the thing with him is he is direct & naturally left-footed. He gets the ball & tends to do one of three things; pass it backwards to the CB, lose it, or dribble forwards. When he does the dribble forwards option, he normally beats about 3 players & gets us to the edge of the penalty box. He also made a difference against Brighton.

Antonio’s second half performance got us into a better place to win; things stuck, he turned well, ran at Chelsea, made good choices with his passes & this was supported by Bowen. Soucek I thought was excellent. He was in every section of the pitch at some point & got through so much work. When Fornals came on, he supported the performance well & the formation changed 3 times during the game. If you see the winner, the team is actually:

Fabianski
    Rice - Dawson - Diop
    Coufal - Soucek - Fornals - Masuaku
    Bowen - Benrahma
    Antonio

It was a really good second half, where the players had to be flexible & adapt to different positions against one of the best sides around. Our record this season is already much improved over the ‘big seven’. Just Arsenal to play.

West Ham 4-1 Leicester
    West Ham 1-0 Spurs
    West Ham 3-2 Liverpool
    Man City 2-1 West Ham
    West Ham 3-2 Chelsea
    West Ham 1-2 Man Utd

We took 6 points from that last season, 12 this season. Not to mention Carabao Cup wins against Man United & City. We have certainly answered Moyes’ plea to compete with the best.
  • edited December 2021
    In ( one of) his post match interviews, Moyes said he didn't change anything at half time.
  • Moyes interview with, I think, EPL TV.

• MrsGrey said:

In ( one of) his post match interviews, Moyes said he didn't change anything at half time.

See, I find that odd because Lanzini definitely played deeper in the second half.

But then I also think Masuaku was on a wind up with his tweet as I’m adamant that was a shot. I refuse to believe he hit a cross with the wrong side of the foot.
  • I thought that…

I mean the way he hit that cross is basically how Ronaldo shoots
  • And this weeks classic from the BBC..
    "Operating with a back 3 of Moussa Diop, Craig Dawson and Kurt Zouma"
  • edited December 2021
    Eski, I'll see if I can find the particular interview. I can remember exactly what he said. It was along the lines of not changing the formation but just playing more how he'd sent them out to do in the first place.

Edit. In searching, I found a different interview where he does say he tweaked it a bit in MF. So, there you go.
  • If Masuaku meant it, it would be one of the goals of the season. And for that reason alone I'm sure he'd claim it if it was deliberate.

If you look at the play, it's Soucek at the far post; 100% he was trying to whip it in for a Soucek header.
  • MrsGrey said:

And this weeks classic from the BBC..
    "Operating with a back 3 of Moussa Diop, Craig Dawson and Kurt Zouma"

Got to give them credit for that

I was expecting Issa Zouma, Craig Diop & Kurt Dawson
  • Big Mouss had a great game yesterday, one of his best performances I can remember. He had a 94% pass accuracy, by the way. Highest on the pitch. Higher than Jorginho even. Honestly the Zouma injury will likely mean at least one game with Diop on the left of a CB pairing, and there’s a real chance that when Zouma’s back Issa could keep his place.
  • Who's Issa?