Wolves (a) 3pm Saturday 20th November (not on TV)

A pleasant surprise to still be here!

Bruno Lage plays a 3-4-3, a pretty settled side with 9 players starting 8 or more PL matches and Hwang Hee-chan starting the last 6.

Adama Troare and Trincao in competition for the right side of the attacking threee.

LWB Marcal has missed the last three matches with a calf injury but is said to be close to recovery; if not French U21 Rayan Ait Nouri has been covering.

Pedro Neto has been out with a broken kneecap since April and isn't expected back until after New Year.

Sa
Kilman Coady Saiss
Semedo Neves Moutinho Marcal(?)
Trincao/Troare(?) Martinez Hwang

Obviously we'll be without Oggy, Rice missed the internationals due to illness so hopefully will have recovered, Vlasic played an hour against Russia on Sunday, Yarmalenko starts against Bosnia tonight and has the armband. Possible doubt over Fornals as its reported that he's stayed in Spain rather than flown back.

We did the double over them last season, 7-2 on agg. and Bowen scored three. COYI

Comments

• We have been very fortunate with injuries so far, the first big one was Coufal and Johnson stepped in so well Coufal has not been able to get his place back yet. I guess Dawson will step in for Oggie and he certainly didn't let anyone down when doing so last season, and with Zouma by his side we should still be strong enough.

I am really hopeful that Fornals will be ok as we are a stronger side with him playing and he always gets himself into a couple of good scoring positions each match.

Our confidence will be sky high after defeating Liverpool and there is no reason we cant get a result even away from home to Wolves. Being away may even help as teams regard us differently now and opponents who would have come onto us are now wary and sitting deeper making our fast breaking attacks harder to execute, but I am hopeful Wolves will see this as a game to win rather than take something from and want to attack us.

It's a big weekend to take three points as doing so would mean definite gains on teams we will hopefully be competing with for a top 6 place come the spring due to the other fixtures. Top 6 will be tough with the Europa adventure and we know Spurs will look to revive under Conte and United will sort the mess out sooner or later, so if we can take a lead on any of the teams we will compete with now it will really help.

Other key fixtures

Leicester V Chelsea
    Liverpool V Arsenal
    Man City V Everton
  • I’m sure everyone will be pleased to know…..
    Referee appointed: Mike Dean🏃
  • Really hope Rice is back to full fitness but the 'man flu' I've just had lasted 3 weeks and I had been jabbed beforehand.
  • Sorry Brother_Sledge. Put Made me laugh on wrong post. 🤦‍♂️
  • 2-1 Hammers, despite Mike Dean. 😂

COYI
  • I hate Mike Dean taking our matches. He may take it on himself to not only even things up in his own match but for our last match, let's watch out for him following Creswell around the pitch!!
  • Not a dig at the club but really wish this would change in football. Too many flights. He should come on the earliest normal flight. Domestic flights to games really irritate me.
  • edited November 2021

Not a dig at the club but really wish this would change in football. Too many flights. He should come on the earliest normal flight. Domestic flights to games really irritate me.

The earliest normal flights on Wednesday wouldn't have got to London until Thursday morning with a stopover in Miami, Atlanta, JFK or somewhere.

The only direct flight from Kingston to London is British Airways, leaving at 8pm, arriving Heathrow 10am.
  • Not a dig at the club but really wish this would change in football. Too many flights. He should come on the earliest normal flight. Domestic flights to games really irritate me.

The earliest normal flights on Wednesday wouldn't have got to London until Thursday morning with a stopover in Miami, Atlanta, JFK or somewhere.

The only direct flight from Kingston to London is British Airways, leaving at 8pm, arriving Heathrow 10am.
    This is where international football needs to look at its calendar though. It isn’t ok for dozens of footballers to take private jets around the world when we’re on a real knife edge around the climate. Wenger’s proposals of two month long breaks for international games might actually be better for the climate if it cuts out the amount of private jets racing home.
  • The worst one being Man Utd flying to Leicester, 100 mile flight.

Inconvenient but I still don’t want private jets ferrying players around. Ultimately this is just entertainment, even if it has more meaning to most fans. This congested schedule full of money-making tournaments and friendlies doesn’t help.
  • Antonio is the only football player that should be in a private jet
  • I agree, there's no way he can get his thighs into a normal plane seat!
  • Sky have gone 0-2 and Lawro 1-2.
  • Sky have gone 0-2 and Lawro 1-2.

:( :(
  • 7 of you in the predictor league have agreed with Lawro !! or maybe he's been lurking on here?
  • Moyes says everyone looks ok, apart from Oggy of course
  • You saying Oggy is ugly?
  • View from the Wolves forum - to be fair a few said he didn't know what he was talking about.

Set up correctly and with the right players and we would win. That means playing with a back 4, setting up with the intention to press, attack and trying to win. We have better players than them everywhere other than in central defence. Even in defence players like Dawson aren’t exactly world beaters. Other than Rice who do they have that anyone decent would want? Zouma maybe, but that’s it. Players like Soucek, Bowen, Benrahma and Fornals are distinctly average.

Unfortunately we all know what the set up will be and we will be lucky to scrape a draw. West Ham love the hoof, are full of big physical players and they will bully us. Perhaps if we drop Moutinho and Coady for Boly and Dendoncker we would stand a chance but that won’t happen.

I predict 3-0 with Antonio looking like Drogba on roids.
  • I reckon he's been on the Jamaican woodbines.
  • This will be an interesting game.

Wolves are in decent form themselves, we have won 5 of our last 6. 15 points. They have won 4 of their last 6. 13 points. They lost to Palace last time & didn’t really turn up, other than that they have shown top 6 form over the last couple of months.

It’s also important to see how we deal with the loss of Ogbonna & the various players who have traveled around the world the last two weeks, with limited preparation time for this game.

I think we are all expecting that result to come where we think the wheels have come off, but this side hasn’t really had that in two years. I’d make us slight favourites for the game but I don’t think a draw is a shocking result.
  • Is anybody else tempted to select Diop over Dawson? I just feel there is something potentially special about the Diop-Zouma pairing & has long term potential. I think we all know Dawson will get the nod but.
  • "something potentially special about the Diop-Zouma pairing"

Well for a start, they speak the same language so communication will definitely be better.
  • This game is on at the worst possible time with England v South Africa starting 15 minutes later. I've now got to get two screens side by side and train my eyes to watch both without becoming totally confused. =)
  • I agree Lukerz that Zouma Diop should be our partnership for the next few years but Moyes is so cautious in general I doubt he feels the time is right yet. Diop may still have a few mistakes in him but has the potential to be as good as Zouma, I hope.
  • edited November 2021
    IMO Dawson fully deserves his place in the starting lineup.
    Diop was very shaky in our last Europa game if I remember rightly…

I definitely do agree though that the French connection is something that could be very good for the future, but for today, IMO he is too inconsistent and Dawson starts…COYI ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Dawson is definitely a safer pair of hands, and for the short term is probably the better bet. But at some point I guess you have to let Diop play or otherwise he won’t get to prove his consistency at all.

Something I think matters is that Zouma, Diop and Dawson all prefer to play on the right side of a two. Diop has looked ok when switching sides, and Dawson has never played on the left for us. I think the question for me is how affected will Zouma be by playing on the left? What’s a better partnership - a slightly less good Zouma on the left and Dawson, or a slightly uncomfortable Diop on the left and Zouma?
  • edited November 2021
    Personally don't think Moyes is totally convinced with Diop, as after the Ogbonna injury it wouldn't surprise me if we bought another CB who slots in as partner to Zouma.

I could be way off tho and totally wrong, who knows, just my thoughts.

I do agree tho Alderz that if we want to hang on to Drop he does need to start playing more often than just a few cup games, time will tell I suppose.
  • edited November 2021
    Diop is still young for a CB. He was excellent at first then stalled a bit. I think this season most of his performances have been good. Dawson was well clear of him for a while last season but has been less good since so the gap might not be as big as it seemed. If we do buy someone else then I think we might as well sell Diop in the summer.

I am definitely interested in seeing Zouma and Diop partnered at some point.

@alderz I think Zouma moved to the left side against Liverpool after Ogbonna went off.