Other Games 5th - 7th November

Comments

• Norwich LB Brandon Williams (21, season long loan from Man U) looks a bit useful
  • MIAHammer said:

Bit of a late posting but how did VAR not give that penalty to Man City. Would love to hear their reasoning.

I think Telles touched the ball.
  • What great results so far, Chelsea dropped two points unexpectedly, Norwich send Newcastle bottom and prevent Brentford getting closer to us, as did Palace to Wolves, and City prevent United gaining on us in fourth.

• edited November 2021
    MIAHammer said:

Bit of a late posting but how did VAR not give that penalty to Man City. Would love to hear their reasoning.

They dare overrule Michael Oliver.....
    I didn't see Telles touch the ball, but I'm not saying he didn't!
    That is my only thought, might have been soft but IMO a penalty.
  • The stream I was watching showed a slo-mo replay and it was clear he got the tiniest touch on the ball.
  • How Chelsea only drew that game is unbelievable, chance after chance.

Good though innit?🙂
  • Joke of a penalty for Brighton.
  • Brighton draw also good as keeps them out of reach of us and also keeps Newcastle down. Apparently Eddie Howe was there so that looks a done deal, I do think he is a good manager and I wouldn't have minded getting him when Pelle left, it remains to be seen if he is an impact manager which is their need at present.

Big Sam was always reliable as an impact manager as he would come in, establish leadership through experienced pros, drill the defence to within an inch of their lives to prevent goals and hope to grind out results to gradually get clear. Can Howe do that?
  • edited November 2021
    Howe did brilliantly with Bournemouth on a reasonably small budget. I wonder how wise he'll be with a 200-300m pound budget? It's not always as easy as it seems
  • edited November 2021
    Not sure Howe will be around long enough to spend 200 to 300 m.
  • Lukerz said:

No way should Sancho be coming on over Lingard

I can only assume Jesse is a poor trainer whereas with us he was a fave of Moyes

Lingard’s leaving and Sancho is going to need game time to settle.

I get that people see his price tag and it’s easy to say Sancho’s a flop but he’s extremely young and is having to get used to this league while Man U struggle and the arrival of Ronaldo has limited places. What Sancho did in Germany far surpasses the two 6 month periods of excellent form that Lingard has had in a much longer career. Even if he’s cost less, Sancho is the player you have to be trying to make work. Which is why it’s hard to believe Lingard is still there.
  • I agree, I think Sancho will be a huge talent once he finds his feet, sadly OGS is not giving him regular starts at present but using him as a sub which is delaying the process.
  • edited November 2021
    I agree Sancho is the longer term prospect. But he doesn’t need to be rushed or forced. Look at how Moyes is utilising Vlasic & has utilised Benrahma. Periods of time on the bench, not even coming on & certainly not at half time to try & change the game of that importance.

Ole needs to be patient. They needed a high impact, experienced player & Sancho, in the current context, wasn’t it. Lingard is with United currently. If he has no longer term future, leave him off the bench. Sancho’s time will come but it’s not yet.
  • I get what you’re saying, but the guy was their main target for two years, they forked our £75m or whatever it was. He’s made 130odd appearances, 50 goals, 64 assists for Dortmund. 23 England caps.

It’s not like he’s pulled on some 17 year old ahead of Lingard. He’s brought on a player who everyone said will be ahead of Lingard in the pecking order, and is.
  • edited November 2021
    Yeah, I just don’t think placing too much responsibility on him, when he clearly hasn’t settled yet, is the way to go. He's not firing yet, the more he plays, the more the comments start about him being a 'waste of money' as he struggles to show his form. Bringing him on as the HT change in a Manchester derby is not going to relax him. The entire side were struggling to get the ball.

It’s not Sancho’s fault they chased him for two years or they paid the money they did. He didn't play for England at the Euros either.
  • I think they had a plan were building in the right way towards the end of last season and then at the last minute of the window Ronaldo appeared from nowhere and threw everything out.
  • c&bsky, Ronaldo does that with his toys out of his pram when things don't go his own way.
  • Spurs fans pinched our ‘Antonio’ chant
  • Joke of a penalty for Brighton.

Interesting that pundits, both on the stream I watched and on MOTD, said it wasn't a penalty. You can bet your life if it was Salah or Kane they'd be saying "There's contact, he's entitled to go down".
  • No shots on target for the spuds for the half
  • How is that not a foul in the build up to Arsenals goal?
  • hoped everton would get the pen
  • hoped everton would get the pen

Tbh I'm quite happy with a draw; imo we could be competing with either of these sides at the end of the season so happy for them both to drop 2 points. Obviously would prefer Everton to win than Spurs.
  • edited November 2021
    Everton down to 10 in injury time, Holgate sent off in an incident similar to Coufal where he caught a player on his follow through. Was only a yellow in real time, VAR told ref to check and he changed it to a red.

Looks bad in slow motion, but again not sure what else he does. Coufal's was overturned iirc.
  • Arsenal sneaking up on the rails after a slow start.
  • no shots on target for spuds again
  • Very good results this weekend, now we need see if we can take something for ourselves!
  • Other than the Arsenal win. They are going to be challenging Top 4 I am sure
  • Everton down to 10 in injury time, Holgate sent off in an incident similar to Coufal where he caught a player on his follow through. Was only a yellow in real time, VAR told ref to check and he changed it to a red.

Looks bad in slow motion, but again not sure what else he does. Coufal's was overturned iirc.

From what I remember it was the same referee, Chris Kavannagh…
    Holgate IMO had more intent than Coufal’s tackle 👍🏻
  • I was busy all afternoon so didn't follow anything about the early games.
    But now I hear Smith gone, Spurs lost, Conte sent off. Lol