Villa (a) Sunday 24th October 4:30pm Sky Sports

edited October 2021 in Match Threads
I'm pleasantly surprised to find I'm still on match thread duty

Villa have lost three in a row although they have scored in every game

Danny Ings has played us 11 times for three different clubs, never scored and never been on the winning side (drawn 2, lost 9).

Let's make it a nice even dozen

Comments

• edited October 2021
    I'd be very happy with an uneventful and dull 1-0 win causing no stress!
  • Fabianski
    Johnson - Zouma - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Benrahma - Fornals
    Antonio

Areola, Dawson, Diop, Coufal, Masuaku, Noble, Lanzini, Vlasic, Yarmolenko
  • Took a gamble there Lukerz. 😂

We have to look at this as a winnable game and I think it will be. Villa are trying to adapt in the post Grealish era but look weaker all over the pitch as opposed to last season.

2-1 Hammers.

COYI
  • Villa are an odd one this season. They seem to be dangerous, but squeezing Ings and Watkins in the same team hasn't really worked out for them yet. They're trying a 3-4-1-2 sort of formation, with pretty much the only question mark as the attacking midfielder - Buendia has started the last two and Jacob Ramsey started the three before that.

They play a pretty consistent line up, so you can expect to see:

Martinez; Tuanzebe, Konsa, Mings; Cash, Luiz, McGinn, Targett; Buendia / Ramsey; Ings Watkins

One thing you'd say about their defence is that they are all big strong guys. Antonio might actually meet his match physically for a change!
  • It’s always a worry when you’re coming up against a team on a bad run and needing a win.

But I think this new West Ham is a lot less charitable than the old West Ham.
  • After Villa the next League match is Liverpool so need three points here to prevent falling back should that fixture not work out well.
  • Why worry about the game after? We shouldn't beat City but we did. If we were to blow out at Villa would that make the Liverpool game any more difficult? I think not.
  • It wouldn't make the game more difficult obviously, but it would mean were we to drop 6 points in the next two fixtures we would quite likely drop down a bit, were we to get three points here any take from Liverpool would be a bonus.

I admire your optimism however Ironherb
  • The difference with this side is you no longer read interviews on the club website with players saying ‘it’s a free hit’, which used to constantly happen in the past. There is almost an expectation, whether Norwich or Liverpool, that we are going to get points.
  • Via twitter... A chance that Martinez doesnt play for Villa as he left for Argentina (family emergency). Hope his family are ok but every little helps (if he's absent)
  • Villa's back up keeper is Jed Steer, three starts this season, two in the League Cup and against Chelsea when Martinez had that bit of Covid bother in Brazil

FB Matty Cash had his application for Polish citizenship accepted (Mum is half-Polish) and he is now eligible to play for Poland
  • Bazshuayi said:

Via twitter... A chance that Martinez doesnt play for Villa as he left for Argentina (family emergency). Hope his family are ok but every little helps (if he's absent)

Martinez should be available according to Smith in his press conference.
  • I knew there'd theoretically be enough time for him to return but I was wondering if his head would be in the right place to play...
  • FB Matty Cash had his application for Polish citizenship accepted (Mum is half-Polish) and he is now eligible to play for Poland

Matek Caszch
  • alderz said:

Matek Caszch

Is that your new Username?
  • No, he only takes what others create
  • Moyes: Kral no longer isolating, Coufal got minutes the other day & Fredericks is making progress. Squad in a good place, a few knocks & niggles.
  • Love Coufal, but it would harsh to drop Johnson at the moment.
  • Although all matches seem like big games now this one could be a really big three points as will allow us to gain on clubs around us who play each other.

Spurs v Man Utd
    Leicester V Arsenal
    Liverpool V Brighton
  • A win tomorrow and we go level on points with Man City!
  • Win 9-0 and we go 3rd
  • 8 will do it c&b.
  • Although all matches seem like big games now this one could be a really big three points as will allow us to gain on clubs around us who play each other.

Spurs v Man Utd
    Leicester V Arsenal
    Liverpool V Brighton

Imagine us being 4th and talking/thinking about gaining on clubs! How different this club is to even a handful of years ago. And what a season this is proving to be!
  • I’m getting more and more worried about this game. Their form is terrible and ours is great.

I know how this goes.
  • You say that every game though Jorderz. Enjoy the ride and if it goes wrong look forward to the next game.

2-1 Hammers.

COYI
  • I do say it every game. I think I used to be more optimistic when we were rubbish.
  • edited October 2021
    Villa are interesting. From what I have seen, their side looks ‘ok’ on paper. They have a 3-4-1-2 which looks very balanced with 3 decent CBs, two ok full-backs, a reasonable midfield & then a dangerous front 3. It looks like it should all click on paper but it doesn’t. I think it is clear that the formation has been changed to accommodate the signing of Ings, so that Watkins doesn’t have to be dropped but I think it has to be one or the other & I think today we will see Smith finally make that call. The formation is just not quite working. Ings or Watkins up top, the other on the bench, two wide players with Buendia behind. I also don’t believe McGinn is good enough as a CM in a two, & feel our midfield will win that battle today if that is how he goes.

I think a lot will depend on what Smith does. I think we will be favourites unless he goes back to last seasons formation.
  • According to villa forums:
    West Ham aren’t that good
    Only have to worry about set pieces, no other strengths
    Basically just the new Stoke
    Easy win for villa…
  • According to villa forums:
    West Ham aren’t that good
    Only have to worry about set pieces, no other strengths
    Basically just the new Stoke
    Easy win for villa…

They missed out the bit where Dec only passes backwards
  • edited October 2021
    Lukerz said:

Villa are interesting. From what I have seen, their side looks ‘ok’ on paper. They have a 3-4-1-2...

...I think a lot will depend on what Smith does. I think we will be favourites unless he goes back to last seasons formation.

Villa didn't have a shot in the first half against Arsenal, at half time they switched to 4-2-3-1 and had 10 shots to Arsenal's 8.

Abandoning the 3-4-1-2 experiment looks like a no-brainer