West Ham Vs Crystal Palace - Sun 3rd Dec - kick off 2pm

edited November 2023 in Match Threads
Another match this evening in the Europa which was very similar to recent matches in which the performance was poor and the amount of chances created can be counted on one hand, yet we still managed a result. In this match against Palace I will settle for that as they proved difficult for us last season and did the double over us. I think we will need a much stronger side than we managed to field this evening and can only hope that Bowen, Kudus and Antonio are back. Should they not be I would hope Cornet and Muamba will get some minutes again as we at least need to take the opportunity to provide them for these two when without usual starters. Muamba because he deserves his chance and Cornet because we need see if the player we signed and Burnley were really sad to lose is still in there. If he is it will be as good as a new signing.

I think Eze was injured for Palace and not sure if he will be fit or not, but lets hope he needs rest this one out. At least Zaha can no longer torment us!

Head says 1-1 heart says 2-0 to us, Soucek and a late penalty converted by Paquetta.

Comments

• Now that Zaha is gone I don't feel the same animosity against Palace that I used to although it would be nice to get something after they did the double over us last season.

Eze is definitely injured (ankle) as is DM/CM Cheick Doucoure (Achilles), both went off early in the second half against Luton.

On the flip side Michael Olise got his first start of the season against Luton after recovering from a hamstring injury which he picked up playing for the French U21s in June. He's scored two goals and provided 2 assists in 3 games against us.

Hodgson doesn't change his starting XI much, he's started the same back four for 12 out of 13 PL games.

Against Luton Eze was replaced by Jordan Ayew who'd started all 12 previous PL fixtures while Doucoure was replaced by Will Hughes who'd started the previous 8 so fairly likely they're going to be starting on Sunday

Best guess

Johnstone
    Ward (c) Andersen Guehl Mitchell
    Lerma Hughes
    Olise Schlupp Ayew
    Edouard

Sadly we will not be reunited with James Tomkins who is injured and has only made one appearance this season, a 4-2 away win against Plymouth in the Carabao Cup although he was captain.

Bizarrely the bookies have made Ings 12/5 favourite to score, He's scored 5 goals in 13 games against Palace but who knows
  • c&bsky, it's Mubama ;)
  • Soucek has scored 4 winning goals after the 87th minute in the last five games

In the last two games Palace have conceded losing goals in the 83rd and 86th minutes

Odds on us winning in the last 10 minutes?
  • c&bsky, it's Mubama ;)

Sometimes it's Mubama sometimes it's Muamba, don't be so attached the arrangement of letters Bubbles if you know what they are pointing to.
  • It's quite tricky to pick a side without knowing if Kudus and/or Bowen will be fit enough to play.

I assume that Areola, Coufal, Zouma, Aguerd, Emerson, Alvarez, Soucek, Ward-Prowse and Paqueta will play, so that leaves two spaces to be taken by (hopefully) Bowen and Kudus. If one or both of them are unavailable then my preference would be that they are replaced by Mubama and Cornet. That said, I think Cornet is very unlikely to start, and I would imagine we'd be more likely to see Benrahma come in.
  • If Kudus available (but not Bowen):

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Cornet - Paqueta
  • Hopefully we will play well for 90 minutes and not just the last 15 or so, as has been the case lately.
  • Lukerz said:

If Kudus available (but not Bowen):

Areola
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Cornet - Paqueta

Is Paquetta taking the forward role here? I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do because if you give him the ball near goal he will be able to make space to shoot and he can finish, he is also very fast with his feet which could also draw penalties. Cornet and Kudus would certainly be a lively pair of wingers to contend with.

I am not sure I would put Cornet up front however, especially after seeing the quality of that cross he put in for Soucek, every bit as good as Kudus cross the week before.
  • I would like to see Cornet on the left going outside the defender and crossing with his left foot but I guess I'm just old fashioned.
  • It would be a very good three points if we could take them as United play Newcastle, Spurs have City and Brighton Chelsea so a great opportunity to close on some teams not too far above us and begin to look at whats happening up the table again rather than down.
  • edited December 2023
    Claret & Hugh reports that Alvarez, Coufal and Kudus were missing from the squad on Thursday because they all had virus/flu. No word on whether they'll be fit to play tomorrow

https://www.claretandhugh.info/hammers-fear-for-player-sickness-victims/
  • Claret & Hugh reports that Alvarez, Coufal and Kudus were missing from the squad on Thursday because they all had virus/flu. No word on whether they'll be fit to play tomorrow

Could be life threatening if it’s the dreaded “Man” flu

• Hey. They had man flu.

That's serious!
  • edited December 2023
    What I expect to see:

Areola
    Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Soucek - Paqueta
    Mubama

I’m still not sure you need Alvarez in these sorts of games, but given him playing allows Soucek to push up & he is one of our top scorers, it makes sense to keep him in.
  • edited December 2023
    Interesting stat…we haven’t beaten these at home in the league since the days of Pellegrini, 3-2 home win over Palace with goals from Snodgrass, Hernandez & Anderson.

Last six home results:
    West Ham 1-2 Palace
    West Ham 2-2 Palace
    West Ham 1-1 Palace
    West Ham 1-2 Palace
    West Ham 3-2 Palace
    West Ham 1-1 Palace

Seems like a draw today is most likely outcome…
  • Oh no, Boy Ref on the whistle. Seen him a lot, and nearly half the games his errors favour the opposition. Not once has he been generous to us. Let's hope there aren't many important 50-50 decisions. 🤫
  • edited December 2023
    Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Emerson, Álvarez, Souček (c), Ward-Prowse, Kudus, Paquetá, Bowen
    Subs: Fabiański, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Fornals, Benrahma, Cornet, Ings, Mubama

Zouma out, but Sowen, Kudus and Alvarez all start.
  • Is zouma injured or sick ,still good to have the others back
  • steve said:

Is zouma injured or sick ,still good to have the others back

No mention of him at all on the OS, it simply says that Mavropanos keeps his place from Thursday.
  • Comms just said ' withdrew because of a family matter'.
  • Low block v low block, has all the makings of a thriller.
  • Kudus yes
  • Get in, Kudus.
  • Great ball by JWP to find Coufal, and then a lovely pull back to Kudus.
  • Kudus started and finished that move.
    Another assist from Coufal.
  • Chance for Bowen, maybe shoulda tested the keeper more.
  • I think I dislocated my hip just watching Kudus there.
  • Oliver gives Palace a very soft free kick in a dangerous position, and the deflection off the wall sees it go just wide with Areola wrong footed.