Olympiacos (A) 17.45 Thursday 26 October. On TNT

13»

Comments

• About time from Moyes......3 subs on.....
  • Best guess is that Moyes thought Fornals would offer more defensively on the left than Benrahma
  • It’s been poor so far, no excuses IMO
  • We have been a yard off everything. Unsure of the tactics.
  • I think we’re going damage limitation now to try to stop us gifting them chances because we’re asleep.
  • We currently still top the group on goal difference……just
  • Paqueta has been really poor since coming on, it all just seems off tonight
  • Paqueta has been really poor since coming on, it all just seems off tonight

Until that….
  • Great finish but is it to late
  • What a hit. Crazy technique!!
  • Cornet with 0 football IQ there
  • edited October 2023
    Poor result and performance…IMO. We got what we deserved….. Oh well, does that perhaps show the depth of our squad needs a bit of improvement….
  • Not good at all, we needed the urgency of the last 10 minutes all game.
  • Our record unbeaten run gone, just about holding onto top spot but got more than we deserved by only losing 2-1. We need to beat them in 2 weeks time and Freiburg when they come to us but need to be a whole lot better than tonight.
  • Other than the last 10 minutes we never really performed. No stand out players for me. I don't think Ings can cut it at the top level and am puzzled about why Fornals has regressed so much.
  • Too little, too late. Bright spot for me was Alvarez - he looked like he was giving it everything when he came on.
  • Too little, too late. Bright spot for me was Alvarez - he looked like he was giving it everything when he came on.

Fully agree , he showed something very few did tonight IMHO
  • Didn't get to see the game but looking at the line up did we just underestimate the opposition or did we just underperform.
  • We can’t have underestimated them because we made enough noise leading up to it about it being our toughest game in Europe and how we had to be right on it. Then we go and totally underperformed until it was far too late.
  • Two poor performances on the bounce but not the end of the world.
  • We stay top because we beat Freiburg because we have identical goal difference but they’ve scored more. We must beat Olympiacos and Freiburg and then we will win the group. Don’t want a CL drop out playoff or dropping into ECL.
  • I think Moyes got caught out by playing too much of a B team, Bowen and Paquetta both benched weakened attacking threat and when you add in Ings, who has been deadwood every time I have watched him, we just didn't have enough to trouble them until it was too late.

I also think the own goal killed it mentally and it may have been different had we came in at only 1-0 down.

It's not the end of the world as we are still top and have played the two hardest teams away from home already. What it does do is take away the buffer zone that allows Moyes do what he did this evening and play a weakened line up.
  • I know its after the event but I believe too many changes and too many of our better players not playing doesn't help your chance when you're away in a hostile environment. I get that we usually do make plenty of changes but it doesnt help with consistency etc. Our match winners like Bowen, Paqueta plus the way we play with Antonio makes me think its too much of an ask to make that many alterations offensively. Defence, ok but not in our attqacking players.

As for not being on it vs Villa, we definitely will not be the last team Villa stuff at home. I did think we'd get a decent hiding if we weren't on it but that can easily happen in the Prem. So thats forgiven but we then go into a hard away game with a big squad mix up which doesnt help with cohesion etc as said

I do think our strongest forward players line up could've made the difference and seen us on 9 points dominating the group and being able to rotate more fully later in the group games.

Oh and more importantly, Moyes Out! (rumours yesterday that we are now starting to look for his replacement. Presuming when contract ends though)
  • That was a tough watch as IMO, we were not set up to succeed, Ings had little support but was up against it as he is not a lone wolf up top and if it was thought that he and Benny could gel and run the channels etc, well……….there was no sign of it, Fornals looked lost and although a couple of half opportunities opened up for Benny, the red mist came down and he fluffed his lines.

I simply could not see where a goal was going to come from so I was hopeful when the subs were made, but it was not much better.

IMO, Bowen is currently our best player form wise yet we hardly got the ball to him, Paq was pretty terrible up until THAT volley and Antonio was back to his most frustrating.

All in all the result could easily have been worse but it is not a disaster and we can come back from this, but we absolutely have to.
  • edited October 2023
    The fringe players did very little to prove they should be starting matches.
    Fornals & Benrahma were especially poor IMO, Kehrer and Mavropanos were OK, Kudus exciting but also guilty of losing possession quite a few times.
    Sadly I thought JWP had his worst game so far, his corners rarely beat the 1st player which in all fairness is not like him, Paqueta also kept losing the ball and far too casual at times, only made up for the super goal.
    All in all a game to forget, but if we fail to pick up 3 points come Sunday IMO it will start to seem like perhaps the wheels are falling off somewhat…..