Other matches 4th - 6th August (Championship, Leagues One and Two, National League, Charity Shield)

2»

Comments

• edited August 2023
    We've been here before, with the ref supposedly getting more respect etc, let's just hope they stick with dishing these cards out (consistently of course) and maybe things will start to change.

Must admit I've loved the yellow cards for knocking the ball away after the whistle has gone, I hope the next crackdown is on players moving to stand directly in front of the ball when a free-kick is awarded rather than retreating to 10 yards away, and, similarly, the players, if they are ahead of the ball, that walk back through that 10 yard circle again obviously and deliberately interfering with play.

The other one, which hopefully is already included in the "knocking the ball away" bit is when players pick up the ball and jog back towards their goal (often running backwards) before lobbing the ball back to the player wanting to take the free kick. Wastes time, prevents a quick free kick, and enables the offending player to get back into position.
  • edited August 2023
    Martinelli cannot take free kicks

Ryan Reynolds is from Vancouver, his dad was a Mountie

Used to go out with a lady from Vancouver, mad as a box of frogs
  • No issue with the owners. They've probably covered their costs by selling out to Netflix. Just all the noise surrounding them.
  • A bit like Crawley in 2010/11 who got promoted from the Conference by spending £600k on transfers, more than all the Conference teams AND League Two teams put together
  • edited August 2023

We've been here before, with the ref supposedly getting more respect etc, let's just hope they stick with dishing these cards out (consistently of course) and maybe things will start to change.

Must admit I've loved the yellow cards for knocking the ball away after the whistle has gone, I hope the next crackdown is on players moving to stand directly in front of the ball when a free-kick is awarded rather than retreating to 10 yards away, and, similarly, the players, if they are ahead of the ball, that walk back through that 10 yard circle again obviously and deliberately interfering with play.

The other one, which hopefully is already included in the "knocking the ball away" bit is when players pick up the ball and jog back towards their goal (often running backwards) before lobbing the ball back to the player wanting to take the free kick. Wastes time, prevents a quick free kick, and enables the offending player to get back into position.

The clampdown seems to have two aims: stop deliberate wasting of time; respect the officials.

They still aren't bothered by all the holding at corners.
  • This could mean that Ben Fosters career is over. 😬
  • Now that's comedy
  • Huge deflection gives the keeper no chance, 1-1, looking like penalties.
  • Arsenal win on pens
  • Ah well, at least it was a nothing game.
  • @MrsGrey, Mike Dean tried to clampdown years ago on holding at corners but as he was the only referee enforcing the rule and giving penalties he stopped doing it after a few weeks.
  • Don’t look at the BBC sport page right now… It’s quite nauseating IMO…
  • It's the trophy at the end that is important, not the one at the beginning.
  • 😯 What happened ?
    I went out for a run about 5 mins into injury time when the couple of players were having their heads bandaged, thinking it was a City certainty.

I've just logged in to see Arsenal won it 😂.
  • MrsGrey said:

😯 What happened ?
    I went out for a run about 5 mins into injury time when the couple of players were having their heads bandaged, thinking it was a City certainty.

I've just logged in to see Arsenal won it 😂.

That’ll teach you for running
  • I'm my defence, I did call in to buy 🍷 on the way back. Do they cancel each other out?
  • MrsGrey said:

I'm my defence, I did call in to buy 🍷 on the way back. Do they cancel each other out?

Yeah I suppose
  • edited August 2023
    @MrsGrey, You have earnt the 🍷 as a reward for doing the run. Well that is what I tell myself when eating 🍰! 😁
  • @MrsGrey, You have earnt the 🍷 as a reward for doing the run. Well that is what I tell myself when eating 🍰! 😁

Fortune, but do you run or just eat cake? 😉
  • @IronHerb, Most would say too much 🍰 and not enough 🏃! I would run to the cake shop but there isn’t one in our village. 😁
  • Why not? I like it because it takes away from standardisation of the game. It confuses Americans who ask the same question, why are there welsh teams in the English football league? I like it because it’s wierd.
  • Ribena, cake and Wales....what could it mean?