Other matches 4th - 6th August (Championship, Leagues One and Two, National League, Charity Shield)

Football is back!

8pm tonight we have winners of the League One playoff final Sheffield Wednesday v freshly relegated Southampton (Sky)

It is reported that JWP will start

The only televised footie on Saturday is National League Rochdale v Ebbsfleet United (5:30pm TNT ). Maybe Yeoldhammer has friends at TNT

On Sunday the other relegated teams feature with Leicester v Coventry (5th) at noon and Leeds v Cardiff (21st) 2:30pm (both Sky)

At 4:30pm the Charity Shield has City v Arsenal (ITV). Nothing of interest here...

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Women’s World Cup matches across the next four days plus Sunderland v Ipswich on Sunday @ 7pm for the family of our friend across the pond. 😁
  • edited August 2023

Women’s World Cup matches across the next four days plus Sunderland v Ipswich on Sunday @ 7pm for the family of our friend across the pond. 😁

Sunderland v Ipswich is !7:00 aka 5pm Sky

And the Charity Shield is 4pm not 4:30pm. Whoops

Clearly I'm not "match thread" fit
  • ASLEF, My error read 17.00 and mistook it as 7pm. Doh!
  • edited August 2023

ASLEF, My error read 17.00 and mistook it as 7pm. Doh!

And that is why you always miss your train!

Southampton have abandoned the faux Ajax shirt that got them relegated and are wearing a Blackburn style half and half shirt, half red half red and white stripes

Oh dear...
  • edited August 2023
    @ASLEF, How did you know? 😄
  • Fortune

This week I was handed my 25 year on the railway certificate

I know...
  • Beats a telegram from the Queen (or King), any day of the week!!
  • The new laws have had an immediate effect. 5 bookings and 6 added minutes first half.
  • It'll all disappear after five games, or until Klopp has a meltdown.
  • Really hope Man City give Arsenal a lesson in football in the Community Shield....3-0 win would be nice....
  • Good to see Wrexham get thumped.
  • IronHerb said:

Good to see Wrexham get thumped.

I'm seeing a lot of this on social media. Is it because of the Hollywood owners? Or the media attention they're getting?

Or are you still cross about 1997?
  • IronHerb said:

I'm seeing a lot of this on social media. Is it because of the Hollywood owners? Or the media attention they're getting?

They’re the PSG of the conference and now League 2. It bothers me when one team has such an advantage over every other side, and it means I will always root for the underdog against them.
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

They’re the PSG of the conference and now League 2. It bothers me when one team has such an advantage over every other side, and it means I will always root for the underdog against them.
    Would it bother you if it was West Ham benefiting? Genuine question.
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

Would it bother you if it was West Ham benefiting? Genuine question.
    Yeah it would. Realistically the only way for a Premier League side to have that advantage they’d have to be bought out by a Gulf state, and I would find that extremely difficult. Im sure I’d still enjoy the wins, but I think the beauty of sport is the idea that people start at a reasonably level playing field, and without that it just becomes the rich crushing the rest.
  • Much like society in general then.

I get where you're coming from. I'd be uncomfortable with money coming from SA, but I look at Wrexham's situation from the fan's perspective and it must be so exciting. It's Football Manager being played out in real life, I guess. Maybe they'll accept the negativity if the success keeps on coming.
  • IronHerb said:

A few things.
    I don't want Welsh teams in the English leagues, same as I wouldn't want Scottish teams. The razzmatazz surrounding them last season was nauseating and Parkinsons pre season outburst against the United U21 keeper.
  • Have no issue with Wrexham owners, rather American celebs than Saudi money, just IMO though...
  • Southend, still with the sword of damocles hanging over their heads, thrashed Oldham 4-0, putting aside their off field woes, lets hope we can do likewise. Wishing Man City a victory today....
  • Have no issue with Wrexham owners, rather American celebs than Saudi money, just IMO though...

I don’t have any issues with their owners, specifically, I just am not a fan of one side having a massive competitive advantage over the rest of the league.
  • See Leeds defence is as good as last season. 🤦‍♂️
  • Arsenal have hardly had the ball in the first 20 minutes. At least Declan is used to this.
  • Also I'm enjoying the ref giving yellows very quickly for gamesmanship (Partey for nudging the ball away and Arteta for gesturing that Rodri should have been booked).

Can see a lot of bookings/sendings off in the early weeks of the season, but should hopefully stamp it all out eventually.
  • But not a yellow for a City player kicking the ball away which ended with Arteta's yellow?
  • IronHerb said:

But not a yellow for a City player kicking the ball away which ended with Arteta's yellow?

Didn't see him kick the ball away. All I saw was a foul.
  • Alvarez now booked for knocking the ball away. Good.
  • Also I'm enjoying the ref giving yellows very quickly for gamesmanship (Partey for nudging the ball away and Arteta for gesturing that Rodri should have been booked).

Although that was the second time I saw Arteta brandishing an imaginary yellow. Ref/4th official didn't react to the earlier one.
  • edited August 2023
    I'm also noticing a lot less surrounding of the referee going on, which is good!

(Especially noticeable after the shout for handball was waved away.)
  • edited August 2023
    A headline to scare a few clubs "Bilbao lead Man Utd after Maguire mistake LIVE!"
  • Also I thought at least one of the Wrexham owners is Canadian...