Pre-Season games 2023-24

Comments

• Ings scoring for fun, Scammaca looking good and Mubama coming through.

What does it all mean? Is it speculation or conjecture? Should we be pleased or worried?

COYI!
  • I always thought Scamacca is pretty good holding up/linking up as long as you get the support to him quickly enough.
  • I always thought Scamacca is pretty good holding up/linking up as long as you get the support to him quickly enough.

Yeah, he doesn't have great pace so needs that around him. It's why I still think Barnes would be an astute signing. Play him and Bowen closer to Scamacca, with the ability to run beyond him, and I think we'd see the best of him.
  • To be fair the Spurs back four were pretty abysmal, I think old mother Shrugged could have scored against them (93 with a zimmer frame)

Some spuds on Twitter asking if they can get a refund for Vicario
  • *Fornals 👍

Exactly. Paqueta is so good he became Fornals.

I'm gonna do some work now.
  • One for the traditionalists; looks like 4-4-2 for today:

Fabianski
    Laing Zouma Ogbonna Emerson
    Bowen Potts Downes Fornals
    Mubama Ings

How would you feel if today's lineup -with subs- was the first team for this season?
  • Not very happy. Given that Spurs were allowed 30 attempts against our 4 today it wouldn’t bode well. We got away with it today.
  • But it won't be, most of our international are back at Rush Green.
  • One for the traditionalists; looks like 4-4-2 for today:

Fabianski
    Laing Zouma Ogbonna Emerson
    Bowen Potts Downes Fornals
    Mubama Ings

How would you feel if today's lineup -with subs- was the first team for this season?
    Horrified, frankly.

But it won't be so we all good.
  • *Fornals 👍

Exactly. Paqueta is so good he became Fornals.

I'm gonna do some work now.
    Just quit, I reckon.
  • Pre-season is what it is, but nice to see our strikers scoring. Scamacca, Ings, Antonio & Mubama. Not a bad set of options.
  • I think when you think Laing, Potts, Downes, Mubama are starting against that Spurs 11, plus only Cresswell & Scamacca on the bench, with all our internationals at home, that was a very nice win.
  • Anybody who watched the game, how did Potts play?
  • Yeah I didn't get to see the game. Who stood out?
  • Lukerz said:

Anybody who watched the game, how did Potts play?

Showed some lovely touches in the first half and happy to put his foot in. Less involved in the second half but generally a good showing.

I think some of the Twitter reaction has been a bit over the top. I've seen 'better than Rice at that age' and 'he's a better passer than Rice' type posts, but I think they're subconscious anti-Rice sentiments rather than pro-Potts, if you know what I mean.

He's a good player, probably shown more than Coventry did last summer, but I'm not convinced he's PL ready yet.
  • Hamstew said:

Yeah I didn't get to see the game. Who stood out?

Mubama had a very good first half. Emerson was good again, Fornals played really well too, I thought. Seemed to be playing on the left of a midfield four but kept coming centrally and looked very composed and played a beautiful pass for the winner.

The U21s will get the headlines, but Fabianksi my was MOTM. Some excellent saves and commanded his area well.
  • He's a good player, probably shown more than Coventry did last summer, but I'm not convinced he's PL ready yet.

Yeah, I'd agree. He's nearly 20, looks tidy but needs a loan (which he's gonna get) and regular football so picking the right club for him to go to is very important.

• I just read the bbc match report. 15 paragraphs on spurs, two on west ham. First one said Scamacca scored the winner, second one said we sold rice. Brilliant reporting.
  • I just read the bbc match report. 15 paragraphs on spurs, two on west ham. First one said Scamacca scored the winner, second one said we sold rice. Brilliant reporting.

To be fair, Spurs are reigning European champions.

Oh no, that's right...
  • To really be fair the game was virtually all Spurs from start to finish but we took our few chances and they could only take two of about 30. We won that’s what matters. If only it wasn’t just a friendly.
  • Their squad was pretty strong though wasn't it? We were missing a huge amount of our first team.
  • Our passing was 75% which is poor against any opposition.
  • IronHerb said:

Our passing was 75% which is poor against any opposition.

And Soucek wasn't even playing
  • Hamstew said:

Their squad was pretty strong though wasn't it? We were missing a huge amount of our first team.

Basically a full strength squad. We obviously had significant holes in ours so did well in the circumstances, I thought.

It was a typical Moyes approach, really. Allowed them to have most of the ball, but countered well, particularly in the first half. Spurs absolutely dominated the second half but we defended well and scored a good goal on the counter.

Kane's dive in the first half was my particular highlight. Absolutely no shame, that man.
  • I reckon he summoned his inner Klinsmann to show Bayern he could dive like the best of them.
  • So Dagenham & Redbridge tomorrow. Didn't look like any of the players that went to Australia we're in training today. Appeared to be the international players and the U21s, so based on who was there I imagine we'll line up with:

Areola
    Coufal Kehrer Aguerd Scarles
    Kelly Soucek Paqueta
    Kodua Cornet Benrahma
  • I take it back, the Australia lot were there.

So basically a full squad with the exception of Johnson, Antonio and Vlasic.
  • So is Cornet back with us ,hope so
  • steve said:

So is Cornet back with us ,hope so

• I suppose it will be the Australian squad, plus the internationals, with some of the kids retained who impressed like Laing, Potts, Chesters & Mubama.