The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

Comments

• Qatar are so bad
  • Thank you MrsG your tv must be on the same timeline as mine. 😆
  • I thought Valencia was offside when the initial cross went in.
  • IronHerb said:

I thought Valencia was offside when the initial cross went in.

But he wasn't remotely active at that point, he was a long way from where the ball ended up.
  • OK. The whole refereeing contingent at the World Cup are obviously corrupt. Sorted.
  • Ironherb, The early signs are looking that way. 😉
  • Apologies buffy, Leicester are bottom with zero points, I looked at the table before we scored. 😬
  • IH he may have been in an offside position when the free kick was taken but that doesn’t make him offside. There were about 4 plays on the ball before he got it.
  • Valencia limping off now, a bit surprised he came back out for the second half given how comfortable Ecuador were even then.
  • Antonio’s been poor again.
  • Thank you MrsG your tv must be on the same timeline as mine. 😆

BBC, illegally :+1:

• So I believe the Ecuadorian forward headed the ball, the keeper missing it completely, with his knee in an offside position. The players on the nearside are behind the ball. Looks offside to me.
  • edited November 2022
    I can’t quite put my finger on it but the atmosphere reminded me of the crowds in another sport.
    I think the Olympic’s but not sure which one (as in which Olympic sport).
    Like whenever a team was advanced or a foul happened it’s like a massive cheer (as in this is exciting). Not like in football for me.
    Heard there might be fake fan noise so that might be it.
    But really wanna know what sport I’m thinking of 🤣🤯
  • MrsGrey said:

Thank you MrsG your tv must be on the same timeline as mine. 😆

Mrs G 😳 😮 😯 🙀
  • Ravel49 said:

MrsGrey said:

Mrs G 😳 😮 😯 🙀
    Doesn't surprise me. 😉
  • IH. If you draw a line parallel with the mow lines it looks like the keeper’s backside is goal side of the forwards knee. As the criteria for offside seems to be if any part of the attacker’s body from which you can score etc etc then why not any part of the keeper’s body which can be used to save be brought into it. In this case it looks like the keeper’s backside and the defender are playing him onside. 😀
  • But thorn, we're guessing and the VAR team have electronic aids.
  • Would help if they put up on the screen exactly what and how they were looking at things especially as they’re using the electronic signal in the ball to determine the exact moment it was kicked which as it was a distance from the goal the players positions at that point would have been some way from the incident shown in your picture.
  • Ravel49 said:

I can’t quite put my finger on it but the atmosphere reminded me of the crowds in another sport.
    Like whenever a team was advanced or a foul happened it’s like a massive cheer (as in this is exciting). Not like in football for me.

Yeah I thought there was some weird “ cheering “ too. Almost like they didn’t understand the game. It was a bit like that in the states years ago when they first launched “soccer “ in the days of Pelé, Cruyff and Mueller. The crowd cheered at tackles and corners 🤷🏻‍♂️

• IronHerb said:

Ravel49 said:

MrsGrey said:

Mrs G 😳 😮 😯 🙀
    Doesn't surprise me. 😉
    I'll buy 2 TV licences next year, to make up for it 😂
  • Pleased for Valencia and Ecuador, they totally dominated and probably deserved to record a more emphatic result, the offside looked a bit iffy to me, they did not quite show the whole picture as they do normally but we have to trust the decision - it is very hard to “fix” given the number of cameras, angles and viewpoints that exist nowadays

I am happy that it was technically offside but it was a very marginal call indeed that I very much doubt could have been given by the naked eye.

On that performance, Qatar will not be recording any meaningful results, I cannot see them scoring, let alone getting a point…………which is perfectly fine with me.
  • edited November 2022

Would help if they put up on the screen exactly what and how they were looking at things especially as they’re using the electronic signal in the ball to determine the exact moment it was kicked which as it was a distance from the goal the players positions at that point would have been some way from the incident shown in your picture.

I think, but may be wrong, that one of the attackers got a touch rather than the keeper at the moment of that photograph (there were actually 2 attackers by the keeper although that's not clear from that still). My understanding is that the leg that is shown as being offside belongs to the player who didn't touch the ball, so when the other one touches it, the one whose leg is shown (and who then subsequently plays the ball) is offside.

That's about the only way that I can make it a correct offside decision.
  • Ah yes, the new offside technology that we were talking about recently.

At least it's stopped all the controversy..

Oh, hang on 😬
  • Slacker said:

Ravel49 said:

Yeah I thought there was some weird “ cheering “ too. Almost like they didn’t understand the game. It was a bit like that in the states years ago when they first launched “soccer “ in the days of Pelé, Cruyff and Mueller. The crowd cheered at tackles and corners 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe it was from the MLS that I’m thinking. It just didn’t seem to fit the game. Wow a foul let’s cheer 🤣
  • I certainly watched an early Covid game where the added crowd sounds were out of synch with the action.

Lot of focus and speculation on how the hosts “fans” left so early in the game, we know it happens but not so early in the game and not when only two down.

• Anyone know how long it’s been since Wales have been in a World Cup? Nobody seems to mention it.
  • @Slacker, You will probably find that out if you look for how long is it since England last won the World Cup?
  • I see we’ve backed down on wearing the armbands as FIFA have threatened us with yellow cards. I’m sure if Qatar had asked FIFA would probably have had the captains flogged
  • thorn, There is a poster of Harry Kane in Doha with him wearing the “one” armband advertising a sponsor.