Other Games 16th & 17th April.

Comments

• As great as Pep is I think sometimes his arrogance does for him. He keeps playing 'weakened' teams against the bigger clubs and quite often loses them. Liverpool rested most of their team in midweek so City had to be at their strongest.

This also means we have a 4.30 Sunday game before the Europa final should we be there. 😡
  • O.o

I thought the Leicester game was a draw. I e only just seen on the BBC that Newcastle nicked a late winner.
  • Keep up Mrs Grey =)
  • MrsGrey said:

O.o

I thought the Leicester game was a draw. I e only just seen on the BBC that Newcastle nicked a late winner.

My Dad did a similar thing this morning watching the Watford v Brentford game on MOTD. Brentford scored their second and winning goal and then couldn't understand why MOTD didn't or wouldn't show Watford's equaliser, even when I told him that Brentford had won the match 2-1 hahaha
    I'm going to miss my Dad when he's gone, hopefully it's not going to be for a good few years yet.
  • Ooh I’m so looking forward to another Liverpool- Chelsea cup final.
    💤💤💤💤
  • Slacker said:

Ooh I’m so looking forward to another Liverpool- Chelsea cup final.
    💤💤💤💤

So boring isn't it.
  • Yeah I s’pose the only people up for it are the fans of the two clubs, the rest of us are like “meh”.
    I know it helps us in Euro qualifying but it would’ve been so much better for anyone but “ the big six” to get to the final.
  • Although I have to hold my hands up and say I was supporting Chelsea yesterday 🤮
  • Given the big clubs complain about fixture congestion every year, I have thought for a while that teams in Europe should be allowed to just opt out of the domestic cups to free up some dates. Even if it was just the league cup.
  • Should Liverpool reach the Champions League final they will have played in every game available to them this season -

Carabao Cup - 6
    FA Cup - 6
    CL - 13 (12 so far)
    Prem - 38

63 available 62 achieved to date.

Of the 63 available to us this season -

Carabao Cup - 3
    FA Cup - 3
    UEL - 13 (12 so far)
    Prem - 38

63 available 56 achieved to date.
  • IronHerb said:

Should Liverpool reach the Champions League final they will have played in every game available to them this season -

Carabao Cup - 6
    FA Cup - 6
    CL - 13 (12 so far)
    Prem - 38

Carabao Cup - 3
    FA Cup - 3
    UEL - 13 (12 so far)
    Prem - 38

Technically, we each could have played 65, as if we had finished third in our European groups we would have entered the tournament below in an earlier round.

Also, Liverpool played in the Community Shield, so 66!
  • Chelsea reach a third FA Cup final in a row
    alderz said:

Given the big clubs complain about fixture congestion every year, I have thought for a while that teams in Europe should be allowed to just opt out of the domestic cups to free up some dates. Even if it was just the league cup.

If clubs were allowed to opt out of a domestic cup UEFA wouldn't allow the winner to qualify for the Europa League

Better to scrap the League cup altogether, we've got more than enough midweek football these days
  • Bu
    alderz said:

IronHerb said:

Should Liverpool reach the Champions League final they will have played in every game available to them this season -

Carabao Cup - 6
    FA Cup - 6
    CL - 13 (12 so far)
    Prem - 38

Carabao Cup - 3
    FA Cup - 3
    UEL - 13 (12 so far)
    Prem - 38

Technically, we each could have played 65, as if we had finished third in our European groups we would have entered the tournament below in an earlier round.

Also, Liverpool played in the Community Shield, so 66!
    But for the tournaments entered.... and I for one don't count the Community Shield.
  • I agree about scrapping the league cup. The FA Cup serves the purpose of a knockout competition and allows the non league teams to enter. Zero need for the league cup.
  • Tell that to League 1 and 2.
  • If I remember correctly England is the only country that awards a Europa League place to the winner of two cups.

Every other country apart from Scotland has one cup that involves all the top flight clubs and the Scottish league cup doesn't get a Europa League place

France has a league cup but got rid of it

Maybe keep the League Cup for clubs not involved in Europe but without the Europa League qualification
  • I am surprised no one in the higher echelons of European football hasn’t found a way around the distractions of meaningless domestic cup competitions which add matches to an already congested calendar by just creating a league for the top European teams to get even richer and leave the irritating other sides behind. 😉
  • IronHerb said:

Tell that to League 1 and 2.

They are entered in the FA Cup.
  • IronHerb said:

Tell that to League 1 and 2.

They are entered in the FA Cup.
    But you’re cutting their chance of a good money spinning draw in half by not having the EFL cup
  • I think back in days past, but I am not so sure the prospect of getting beaten by a mixture of Man City's second string and under 23's is the fixture it was some years ago.

They also have league campaigns to attend to, and not forgetting the 'Papa Johns Trophy'. My own view is the FA Cup would suffice.
  • edited April 2022
    Back in the day when there were 46 league games, unlimited cup replays, and of course European football, there was a whole lot less moaning about too manty fixtures. (Probably scousers excepted).

So if the Sky 6 don't want so many games, use the cups as a run out for the reserves, so shut up and put up. So there !!!
  • But the Sky 6 only complain after a defeat. Funny that.
  • edited April 2022

Back in the day when there were 46 league games, unlimited cup replays, and of course European football, there was a whole lot less moaning about too manty fixtures. (Probably scousers excepted).

So if the Sky 6 don't want so many games, use the cups as a run out for the reserves, so shut up and put up. So there !!!

Back in the day only three English teams got through to European football and it was knock out competitions.

When we won the Cup Winners Cup in 1965 we played 9 games, we've played 10 games just to reach the semis of the Europa League and if we reach the final we'll have played 13

Back then we didn't have Sky or BT Sports broadcasting every game.

And we are still only one of two countries to have two cup competitions that involve the top flight clubs and the only country to award a European place to both cup winners
  • Millwall have gone 7th in the Championship. 😳
  • IronHerb said:

Millwall have gone 7th in the Championship. 😳

Ugh. It's either that lot or Sheffield Utd for 7th. Can the league please agree to not bother with the playoff this year?
  • Are Liverpool really good or are Man U really bad?

Liverpool 2-0 up inside 22 minutes and ripping Man U apart. How on earth are United 6th?
  • Are Liverpool really good or are Man U really bad?

Both imo
  • Lingard getting some rare minutes. Surely he regrets not pushing harder to join us in the summer.

He could be playing for us in Europa semi-final rather than playing with this shower.
  • We lost to Utd twice, yet beat Liverpool 3-2 at our place and could have had a draw at Anfield. Unbelievable.
  • Fulham promoted.