Match Thread - Away to Man U on Saturday 22nd January, 15:00

Comments

• Fair enough. That’s definitely onside
  • At least we're only 3 points off safety.
  • edited January 2022
    So now will they let us have lingard as we are not playing them again, not a threat to the top4 and can take points off those who are.
  • Can now drop to 8th
  • Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Once again, lack of options are hurting us. Not enough on the bench to make a positive impact. Antonio ineffectual in this second half (Footypass working; cheers eski) but no-one to change things up.

Antonio worked himself into the ground, he was up against a world class centre half and the only service he got were high balls up to him.

Yeah, worked himself into the ground. So could have done with being replaced with fresh legs. As was the case v Leeds. And another dozen games this season.

He needs help, and has done for a year now. The fact that we have to run him into the ground each game is not acceptable, IMO.
    That wasn’t the problem, the problem was the service.

Granted, service was poor, but a fresh striker for the last 15 minutes, who could hold up the ball, or press harder, or even track back, would have been better than watching an exhausted Antonio drag himself around the pitch.
  • Just haven't got to depth. That's it. When players have dips or injuries we just can't replace them with quality.
  • He likes a small squad, the schedule does not
  • We have 5 winnable games coming up now
  • Winnable they may be but all winnable they probably won’t be
  • He likes a small squad, the schedule does not

He likes a small squad and then moans when we have to play Norwich on a Wednesday.
  • I would be very surprised if we can mount a challenge on the top 6 now so I would throw everything at the Europa league and FA Cup.

I think Moyes shows too much respect to top 6 teams and we play better when allowed to push them back. The most telling thing today was that Moyes didn't bring anyone on regard attacking intent even though Antonio was tired, so he clearly must feel he has no attacking options when needing change a match in progress. He simply must find a striker.

That was also one of the worst United teams we have played, which makes it all the worse.
  • We’ve played all our scheduled games now but most of those in the few positions behind us have 2,3 or even 4 games in hand so a plunge is on the cards.
  • Ive now got to got a 50th birthday party. Can you guess what team he supports?
  • I have already mentioned this twice before but Antonio now goes off to play three games in seven days for Jamaica so I am sure he will be fully rested like the remainder of the squad after the winter break. 😬
  • edited January 2022

I would be very surprised if we can mount a challenge on the top 6 now so I would throw everything at the Europa league and FA Cup.

I think Moyes shows too much respect to top 6 teams and we play better when allowed to push them back. The most telling thing today was that Moyes didn't bring anyone on regard attacking intent even though Antonio was tired, so he clearly must feel he has no attacking options when needing change a match in progress. He simply must find a striker.

That was also one of the worst United teams we have played, which makes it all the worse.

Yeah, it was a poor Man U side (again), and it was a poor Leeds team last week. That's what makes it so frustrating; both teams were there for the taking, but we just don't have a Plan B in attack. Worse still, we don’t even have a back up for our Plan A.

We're at the point of unravelling now. And I don't mean that to sound dramatic; what I mean is there's a good chance, with our current form and the improved form of those around us, that we don't get European football next season. Fine in itself - we're West Ham after all - but the Bowen's and Rice's of this squad will want it and will also have clubs that can offer it interested in them. Lose them and I fear we're back to square one.

Long way to go, and a good last week of the window could make all the difference, but I really feel like there were six points within our grasp this week, but letting this squad drift as they have has cost us, IMO.
  • OCS is it being so cheerful that keeps you going?😳
  • edited January 2022
    Slacker said:

OCS is it being so cheerful that keeps you going?😳

Every time with you, isn't it. No need to dig people out because they're not happy with the football.

I have a lovely wife and the most incredible little boy. I have nothing in life to complain about. But you know what, West Ham give me hump sometimes. And on a football forum I should be able to express that without being called out all the time.
  • Let's talk about shirt numbers of the players were not going to sign hahaha
  • I also have the hump. I'm right fed up with getting a sneaky peek of what we could be and then watching our last 2 games and the door getting slammed in our faces. I know I shouldn't as this has always been this way but as they say, it's the hope that kills you.
  • I also have the hump. I'm right fed up with getting a sneaky peek of what we could be and then watching our last 2 games and the door getting slammed in our faces. I know I shouldn't as this has always been this way but as they say, it's the hope that kills you.

It's also the plastic Mancs that have come out of the woodwork.
  • Slacker, Losing isn’t funny especially when with a bit of thought it may have been avoided. 👍
  • In my defence ( if it’s needed) I was making a jokey reference to the doom and gloom on our friend’s last post.
    Oh yeah I’m happy as as Larry conceding a last kick winner, so happy in fact that the dog is currently hiding under the dining table wondering if it’s safe to come out yet.
  • They've always been there. The problem is I live in Manchester and work with a few, not plastics. The good things is I'm off next week, so I'm hoping that this result will be forgotten about by the time I get back hahaha
  • Never good to lose, but when you are getting ready to celebrate a goal-less draw, and it's snatched away by almost the last touch. I've been supporting West Ham for over fifty years, you'd think I'd be used to dissapointment, but this year it seems to hurt even more 😭
  • *Putting my Mod hat on for a moment*
    Can we all remember to keep things civil, and not give any of the mods any work to do, please. Everyone gets heated when we lose, but let’s remember to be kind to one another here.
  • I agree with Fortuneseeker earlier. Antonio seems dead on his feet but has further games to play for Jamaica. He'll be overworked and spent and we'll have no other option.
  • He may have got so into playing for Jamaica that he’s actually been preserving his energy for the international breaks.
  • According to a BBC stat that's 45 away matches against 'big six' teams that Moyes has failed to register a win. This sit back and soak it up tactic could end us costing in the Europa I imagine also. Surely he must see that something is wrong in his mindset in how he views his own teams that he takes to these matches. We are able to get at teams as we showed against Chelsea and Liverpool at home, but only after we went behind.

Be brave Dave, be brave!
  • edited January 2022

He may have got so into playing for Jamaica that he’s actually been preserving his energy for the international breaks.

Stop.

Stop.

You have just alleged that he is giving half measures for West Ham because he's saving himself for Jamaica.

There is no evidence for this. Please stop making stuff up that is derogatory.

If you have access to his running stats and other data, please share it. Otherwise why would you be throwing mud????