Hammers ⚒ v Canaries 🐤 - Wednesday 12/01/2022, 19:45pm

12345679»

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Not a good performance from the Ref.

The Vlasik incident in itself should see that Ref get rested alone. I would sit him down and ask what happened in his view? it's either Vlasik fouls Krul and his reaction is after the event and he decides to let the reaction go but awards the freekick to Norwich, or he awards a free kick to Norwich and yellow cards Krul for his reaction to the foul.

The only possible alternative view is Vlasik has not fouled Krul in which case Krul has begun to strangle Vlasik and that's a penalty. The option of nothing happened is not possible. In my view he bottled making a decision, which is his job. It's not everyday you see a player being strangled in the Premiership and need treatment.

I would then show him the footage of teh foul he awarded in Vlasik's favour 5 minutes later and ask him if he thinks refereeing is for him. He had a shocker.

That isn't even looking at the Dawson incident which was also a penalty.
  • Didn’t the Krul attack on Vlasic occur before the corner was taken. If so it can’t be a penalty as the ball has to be in play.
  • Didn’t the Krul attack on Vlasic occur before the corner was taken. If so it can’t be a penalty as the ball has to be in play.

Really? I get it that a lot of stuff goes on in the penalty area but that was ridiculous.
    But even if it wasn't a pen I would have expected a card - you certainly can give them even if the ball is not in play. I don't think a red would have been over the top here, that wrangle was bordering on gbh.
  • Munich I agree, there should have been a card, a red wouldn’t have been harsh.
  • Still time to review and award it as missed surely

No, it happened while the ball was in the air
  • edited January 2022

Still time to review and award it as missed surely

I don't think it was missed at all. I watched the replay on Sky that yoyo posted about and the commentators were saying "nothing in it", six of one, half a dozen of another" blah, blah, so they definitely saw the incident.
    I am really getting sick of what can only be described as anti-West Ham bias, either that or the sheer incompetence of the officials refereeing our games.
  • edited January 2022
    But the issue of 'missing it' only applies to the officials.

Nor comms who have the benefit of replays.

These days, with VAR, I'm not sure much goes to retrospective disciplinary panel.
  • I honestly can't see any reason at all why a penalty wasn't given for that; as soon as it was shown as a replay it's a 100%, nailed on, penalty. Krul has got him in a headlock and thrown him to the ground. I know keepers get over-protected, but this is as clearcut a case as you're likely to see. I hope the club complained vehemently about that decision in their post match report, as it really, truly, is a disgraceful decision, both by the ref initially, but even more so by the VAR who has absolutely no excuse whatsoever.
  • the VAR who has absolutely no excuse whatsoever.

This.
  • Ok, over the course of four matches, he's made one clear mistake, that was backed by VAR inaction. Corners are a free for all, and refs decided two years ago to ignore the wrestling. Now they're backed into a corner, because if one awards a penalty there will be a tsunami of whataboutery on his head.
  • You would get disqualified from a wrestling tournament for what Krul did.
  • Agreed, =) but that's the situation Riley's lads have got themselves into. A clear change of policy, as in the last World Cup, is needed next season.
  • It has to be a penalty. The ball is in play, the ref had already warned players about grabbing, he just pulls Vlasic down who could have been influencing the play later on in the move. I also don’t get why Vlasic didn’t get another penalty when he had his shorts pulled into the box. When you think Dawson was pulled up against Southampton for bumping into a player outside the box & falling into him in the box. Don’t get it.
  • Mike Dean many hears ago, if I remember correctly, at the start of the season went out on a limb and was giving penalties for holding in the penalty area. The trouble is none of his colleagues did so resulting in the offence just carrying on.
  • Dean did it in a home game for us against Norwich I think. There was no jostling in the area for the rest of the match but it was business as usual in the following games.