Liverpool (h) 4:30pm Sunday 7th November Sky Sports

Comments

• My issue is Man Utd are underperforming at present due to the unsettling nature of the Ronaldo transfer and the limitation of OGS, my fear is when they sort it out or he goes their personnel are just so good it may be hard to deny them.
  • But we haven't all played the same opposition, so comparisons are of limited use
  • edited November 2021
    You are probably right C&BS. Ultimately all of those team's squads cost more than ours so their expectations would be to be above us. And I agree MU in particular have the top end players and depth of squad to theortically be trumping us. However, we are over a quarter of the season through and we are playing a blinder. Who knows if we can keep this up, it could be one of the all time seasons.

For me, qualifying for any Europe next season is good, but we do have this outside chance for the heights of 4th and that's incredible for where we were a couple of seasons ago.
  • True MrsG, but thought it was interesting none the less :)
  • That’s some top statting right there
  • alderz said:

That’s some top statting right there

😉
  • This game is going to be so hard. Liverpool tore United to shreds at OT 2 weeks ago. We need to really concentrate on keeping them out and hoping the footballing gods are smiling on us.
    Agree with Johnson for Coufal and set up as 4-4-1-1 with Soucek,Bowen and Fornals resisting the urge to over-commit to attack.
    I am really worried about Oggy, Cresser and Fornals trying to contain Salah ,TAA et al, so expect Rice to have his hands full today.
    COME ON YOU IRONS
  • This is the first game this season where I’m expecting us to lose so hoping for a pleasant surprise.
  • Really impressed with Klopp's in depth views on our strengths these days. Not sure if we rely on the counter attack we will get much from this one. Get on the front foot, stay on the front foot and keep their midfield running around and we may nick more than a point. My son is a Liverpool fan and we will try to watch "together" on Zoom. I hope he is not grinning at the final whistle.
  • The match finishes of my birthday weekend celebrations.
    You know what to do West Ham………
  • I am strangely relaxed about this, agree with Brother Sledge that we shouldn't over commit but we shouldn't sit deep and let them have the ball for long periods because over 95 minutes they will get through. I think we have to go toe to toe with them and trust in our own abilities against a top team.
  • edited November 2021
    We have to press. If they are good enough to knock it around us, then that will be the difference & they’ll win. Sitting back & hoping to break didn’t work last season. We need to be solid & compact but press them as much as possible & get players forward when we can. I think we need to start Fornals centrally & Benrahma from the left, which gives TAA something to worry about when he wants to bomb forward. We are more fluent when Benrahma plays off of the left.

I’m optimistic today but am aware we may well lose. Be good to see where we are in the face of this challenge.
  • I agree with the last couple of posts. Too much respect was shown to them last season. I'd like to see us be a bit more positive than last time but holding Liverpool back won't be easy. I expect them to break us down but we're always in with a shout with our front line/midfield and from corners. I would be very happy with a point but it may be a tall ask.
  • The obvious big concern is Salah on our left. Cresswell needs serious support due to their difference in pace. Maybe, just maybe Moyes plays wingback.
  • I thought Masuaku looked well off the pace on Thursday, so if we go for wingbacks it would need to be Johnson on the left. For me, it makes more sense to stick with what we’ve been doing well. 4-2-3-1, try to take the game to them a bit.
  • I agree Alderz. Just wondering what Moyes will do.
  • Lukerz said:

We have to press. If they are good enough to knock it around us, then that will be the difference & they’ll win. Sitting back & hoping to break didn’t work last season. We need to be solid & compact but press them as much as possible & get players forward when we can. I think we need to start Fornals centrally & Benrahma from the left, which gives TAA something to worry about when he wants to bomb forward. We are more fluent when Benrahma plays off of the left.

I’m optimistic today but am aware we may well lose. Be good to see where we are in the face of this challenge.

I think you have to be clever with the press and pick your moments. If it's half-hearted or only one or two are going for it, they pick their way through us like they did when Man Utd got it so horribly wrong.

Van Dijk in particular is an incredibly passer and pretty much immune to pressure, so it has to be done right and only occasionally.
  • Same team for me .Need to start on the front foot get the fans into it .and show them we are a top 4 team
  • edited November 2021
    Rice must sit today, let Soucek support if possible but Rice has to become the extra defender to offer solidity, I like him getting forward as he has been but the defensive part of his game must come first, more his England role.
  • Really impressed with Klopp's in depth views on our strengths these days. Not sure if we rely on the counter attack we will get much from this one. Get on the front foot, stay on the front foot and keep their midfield running around and we may nick more than a point. My son is a Liverpool fan and we will try to watch "together" on Zoom. I hope he is not grinning at the final whistle.

Where did you see Klopp’s in depth views?
  • We must play our formal high tempo, pressing game today because we've been doing it pretty well this season.

2-1 Hammers

COYI
  • Team as expected now lets go win it
  • Short of attacking options off the bench with no Vlasic/Yarmo.
  • Arguably our strongest XI, but nothing on the bench to really change the game if we're chasing it. Five defenders and two defensive midfielders is horribly unbalanced.

Clear where the work in January needs to be.

Hoping to avoid defeat, but I don't think even our best will be enough to do that today. Just think Liverpool in their current form will be too good.
  • Umm, no Vlasic on the bench, attacking options are Lanzini, and Masuaku and Fredericks if you really stretch it. Basically it's a bench of keeper, 5 defenders, 2 defensive mids and an ex attacking mid who many now see as a deep playmaker.

Let's hope we don't have to chase the game.
  • Not much on their bench either
  • I get we sign most youngsters with an eye on the future, but when we have so few attacking options I'm surprised they don't get a look in.

I guess Fredericks and Masuaku could be played as wingers if needs be, but with 9 subs named I don't really see the harm in including either Nevers or Oko-Flex as another option up front.
  • edited November 2021
    Oh no…Carragher on co -commentary🤦‍♂️
  • Urgh, why do they allow that? Comms are supposed to be unbias.