Liverpool (h) 4:30pm Sunday 7th November Sky Sports

edited November 2021 in Match Threads
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain

My sixth match thread and possibly my last of this run

The last time we beat Liverpool at home was under Bilic at Upton Park, the last time we drew at home was under Pellegrini

On the plus side Brighton drew at Anfield last weekend so Liverpool aren't unstoppable

Liverpool will be without Keita, Firmino, Milner, Gomez, Elliott and Jones but Fabinho and Thiago both played against Atletico on Wednesday

I'd be happy with a draw, especially as there will be a few Liverpool fans down the William on Sunday

Comments

• So looking forward to this one. Liverpool are a joy to watch as a neutral and if we can nick a point it will really put down a marker for us, gonna be tough though.
  • My Liverpool supporting friend (not Baz ;) ) has been full of praise for us this season, and has said that West Ham are becoming basically his second team, which is nice. I hope that by the end of the weekend he hates us again.

Fabianski; Johnson Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell; Soucek Rice; Bowen Benrahma Fornals; Antonio

The big selection dilemma for us has to be whether Coufal stays in or not. Johnson has been really good, but do you go for experience? Last season we played a 3-4-3 in the away game, and Mane had a good game while Coufal struggled a little. In the home game we played a 4-2-3-1 and they had a front three of Salah, Origi and Shaqiri.

For me, Johnson edges it due to recent form, but also because he's quicker than Vlad, which helps against the likes of Mane.
  • We are getting smashed. A big dose of reality coming up in this one.
  • We are getting smashed. A big dose of reality coming up in this one.

This might be naive, but I don't think we're getting smashed. I think we'll lose, but I really don't see our team as the type to get smashed these days. I think if it starts to go badly Moyes will completely take the sting out of the game.
  • The form of Liverpools front 3 is disgusting.
  • edited November 2021
    Lawro's been on the forum?!

I have got a bit of a thing going with West Ham fans now where I always tip them to lose or draw, and then they win - so all those Hammers will be happy to see what I am going for here.

• I just hope we're a bit more progressive than in last season's games. I felt we camped out too deep and had no way to get it to Antonio. Very frustrating games to watch and it was inevitable that they would eventually score.
  • Mark Lawrenson said:
    There will be a great atmosphere at London Stadium because West Ham are doing so well and one of the big teams are in town.

I thought it was a great atmosphere when we played Spurs.
  • I just hope we're a bit more progressive than in last season's games. I felt we camped out too deep and had no way to get it to Antonio. Very frustrating games to watch and it was inevitable that they would eventually score.

Probably my only gripe with Moyes is that we have been very timid in all league games against Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Man Utd. We're doing well and I want us to have a go.
  • alderz said:

Lawro's been on the forum?!

I have got a bit of a thing going with West Ham fans now where I always tip them to lose or draw, and then they win - so all those Hammers will be happy to see what I am going for here.

I reckon he might read this forum. No abuse, swearing or personal insults. Just news, opinions and debate. Hats off to those, some still here and some not, who set it up and continue to uphold those principals.

I appreciate it.
  • I wonder what Lawro's "handle" is..... who is he ?. Spooky!
  • Baz. He's definitely Baz.
  • Johnson over Coufal in this one for me. The rest of the lineup being the usual!
  • Liked Moyes’s comparison between himself and Klopp “Jurgen Klopp was a centre half and I’m a centre half and that’s about it “.
  • Good comments from Jurgen Klopp ahead of the game:

"And he [Moyes] gets better and better and better, how I see it. That’s possible obviously; even after 999 games you can have still space for improvement and Moyesy, I don’t know if he reinvented himself again or whatever, I don’t know him long enough for that obviously, but it’s absolutely incredible.

Honestly, it is really good what West Ham are doing and I think everyone who watches them sees that. That’s a high-energy team, a counter-pressing team, they have counter-attacking but playing as well. There were always moments in the past when you played West Ham they defended deep and we had to be really aware of set-pieces and counter-attacks.

Now, it’s a full package, an absolute full package and they are rightly so really high in the table and are top of the table in their Europa League group as well.

I watched the game last night completely and Genk did obviously a good job; they were nasty, they were brave, but in the end they were lucky to get a point and with a lot of changes – it was not the ‘first’ line-up we will face on Sunday – they still played how I would consider, meanwhile, West Ham football.

It was all there, what you need. They could rest then Antonio from a specific moment, Soucek didn’t start. They are in a good moment. It will be a really good game, I’m pretty sure. We are in a good moment, they are in a good moment, that’s how a football game should be before a game.

I’m really excited to play it. It will be a tough one, but thank God, for them as well.

We just watched them and it’s fun, it’s good fun watching them. They became a high, high intense team and you can only become a high intense team when you are on the front foot, and that’s what they are.

Yes, when you want to finish off the situations you create you need top strikers, that’s what they obviously have. I like Bowen a lot, he made his way up from, was it Hull, if I’m right? And took not too long to get there, to show exactly what kind of player he can be in the Premier League as well, made big steps. Antonio, since I’m in England, played five or six different positions, one of them was right-back. He is obviously a proper, proper striker. Fornals is back in the Spanish national team; had his downs maybe there but is an incredible player, scored against us in each game, if I’m right. Is a footballer, can play between the lines but has the speed to get in behind.

Benrahma is a really exciting one, he was at Brentford obviously already one of the crazy front three and is now obviously a proper, proper figure in the West Ham offensive play. Then you have on the double six, two with Rice and Soucek, two guys who are a threat up front, passing-wise, Soucek with the head, Rice with all he has, so shooting, passing, all these kind of things. Incredibly quick and smart full-backs. And they have obviously now the centre-half pairing they wanted, brought in Zouma.

And then have Fabianski, a very experienced goalie. So that’s a good team, a really good team. Now you saw the team playing on Thursday, made a couple of changes and they are still a really good team. That makes a successful football team. The only problem West Ham have, which we all have: this league is so incredibly good that you have to be on your top every day.

Not only on Thursday, not only on Wednesday – no, on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and whenever as well. That makes it so exciting. The better you get the more pressure you have to win football games as well, that’s the development as well, we all have to go through that. We know we face an exceptionally well organised, well trained and well equipped opponent on Sunday.
    "
  • Good praise from KIopp. I do hope it's a good game. It would be something else if we won this one. I dare to dream.
  • This is the final part of our development. A performance & result against one of the ‘elite’. All well & good beating Spurs, but we need to beat a proper side.
  • Win lose or draw this is a match we get to see how far we have come and how far we need progress to arrive at genuine top four and trophy contenders. We have a full strength team and home advantage so if we have the ability to take something and show how far we have come this is the moment.
  • Baz. He's definitely Baz.

Everyone knows I love Klopp and Liverpool (my grandads home town) but I'll be happy when we win tomorrow ;)

• On a more serious note, a shame Fabinho is back but I think a good thing Firmino is out
  • Good words from Klopp, but I don't know how much attention he's actually paid to us because he's described both Fornals and Cresswell as quick.
  • Fornals is deceptive. Look how quick he got upfield when Bowen broke last week.
  • I’ve never thought of Fornals as slow, personally
  • Maybe just me then.

But whenever I see Fornals run it looks like he's doing it through treacle.
  • Maybe just me then.

But whenever I see Fornals run it looks like he's doing it through treacle.

That's strange 'cos Fornals doesn't look a bit like Noble, who I think you're confusing him with. =)
  • Noble is another level of slow.
  • Good chance for us to close the gap on Chelsea after there draw
  • Win by 7 goals and we go second. COYI.
  • While I'm on goal difference and looking at the table, it shows just what a side we are.

Currently, and with many teams having played 11 to our 10 so far, only 3 teams have scored more goals than us. Chelsea, Man City, and Liverpool. The same 3 are the only teams so far to have conceded fewer than us.

Some interesting comparisons, of teams trying to be, and historically above us:

Team.....Games....GoalsFor....GoalsAgainst....GDifference
    WHU:.......10............20...............11.....................+9
    MU:..........10.............19...............17.....................+2
    Ars:..........10.............12...............13......................-1
    TH:...........10..............9................16......................-7
    LC:............10.............15...............17......................-2

Currently, we are better than all these sides at both scoring, and at stopping the opposition doing so.

Do we genuinely dare to dream of finishing above them all and finishing 4th this year?!
  • One incorrect element on that table above - MU have played 11 games.