Couldn't think....part 4

Comments

• Does his contract expire at the end of the season?
  • Yeah, I think Fredericks will be gone in the summer. Johnson flourishing, Coufal consistently great and Harrison Ashby doing well for the U23s.

Fredericks is on about £50k p/w I think, so for an injury-prone 3rd choice RB that's probably too much.
  • Johnson will be asked to cover for Cresswell soon enough. I can see them and Cuf (!) rotating in the busy months. Fredericks is blisteringly fast as a wingback, until he gets injured. Johnson can also play wingback. In fact, sometimes he may be asked to play all three positions if Moyes gets confused...😁
  • Declan is up for Player of the Month

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2325837

You know what to do.
  • IronHerb said:

Declan is up for Player of the Month

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2325837

You know what to do.

Vote for other people so he doesn't get cursed?!
  • Only managers get cursed.
  • IronHerb said:

Only managers get cursed.

Moyes is up for MOTM, too...
  • Gareth 'I'll pick players on form, not reputation' Southgate up to his old tricks again.

Mings, dripped by a struggling Villa, makes the squad.

Kane, out of form, makes the squad.

Sterling, hardly had a kick at City this season, makes the squad.

Rashford, 106 minutes of PL football this season, makes the squad.
  • Honestly thought Bowen deserved a call, and Cresswell has arguably been one of the best left-backs in the country so far this season.
  • But in less angering news, Nathen Trott has won player of the month at AS Nancy-Lorraine.
  • Honestly thought Bowen deserved a call, and Cresswell has arguably been one of the best left-backs in the country so far this season.

And, while I'm at it, if Antonio hadn't declared for Jamaica, he should have absolutely have made this squad. He wouldn't have, obvs, but there we go.
  • And Lingard dropped from the squad, too. Good news for us...?
  • That's because he's not getting much game ti........oh!

• They just couldn’t bring themselves to say “Tory MPs “ could they?😡

• Gareth 'I'll pick players on form, not reputation' Southgate up to his old tricks again.

Sterling, Rashford and Kane have all been some of England's best players over time. I think there is (rightly) a blend of the usual faces that have earned that trust, and others. I guess you'd call Sancho and Lingard the 'squad' / 'fringe' players that are in that camp of "if you don't play well / enough you're out" players. One of the main successes of Southgate's England is that he's managed to make it seem like a club mentality for the players there. You can't do that if you bin off half the squad and replace them every time you have an international break.

Mings is the one I can't understand, particularly when you have Fikayo Tomori playing every week for an in-form (in the league at least) Milan side, or Ben White having a really good season so far for Arsenal, or even, and this is IMO far too soon, Trevor Chalobah doing well with Chelsea so far.
  • Slacker, It could so easily have been Labour, LibDem, SNP etc. 😬

But they would have been mentioned in the headline.

You’re right of course, but can you imagine the headlines if it was?

• edited November 2021
    alderz said:

Gareth 'I'll pick players on form, not reputation' Southgate up to his old tricks again.

Sterling, Rashford and Kane have all been some of England's best players over time. I think there is (rightly) a blend of the usual faces that have earned that trust, and others.

I don't necessarily disagree (although I'd question whether Rashford has really done anything with England), but that is Southgate picking on reputation and not form, which he said he wouldn't do.

I know what you're saying though, and I am being a bit flippant, but I just think Southgate is lurching back to the ways of former England managers and picking the same old names, regardless of how well they're playing, at the expense of players that are performing week in/week out.
  • I get the fear, but I just don’t think it’s realistic to only play the in form players regardless of England form or squad standing.
  • edited November 2021
    IronHerb said:

Slacker, It could so easily have been Labour, LibDem, SNP etc. 😬

No, it couldn't,

Labour MP for Leicester East Claudia Webbe found guilty of harassment has been expelled from the party. She replaced Keith Vaz who was suspended for 6 months by the same committee and Labour did nothing because they accepted he deserved it.

Back in December last year a SNP MP was suspended for 5 days but no mention of it

This year three Conservative MPs have been suspended by the Committee of Standards for a day each

The vote to defend Paterson was unprecedented
  • West Ham condemn supporting singing anti-semitic songs on a plane to Belgium. This sort of stuff is disgusting and it makes me so mad that this sort of stuff has to be associated with our club because some people are too thick to understand that banter isn't banter when it's about genocide.

I am glad that the club haven't said the classic line of "these people are not West Ham supporters", because that always feels like clubs trying to distance themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59169405
  • And on a seperate, bad PR note, we've been highlighted as one of 7 Premier League clubs to have links to gambling sites on the childrens part of their website. We really need to get out of bed with Betway and any other gambling firm. It's just terrible PR these days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59169717
  • alderz said:

West Ham condemn supporting singing anti-semitic songs on a plane to Belgium. This sort of stuff is disgusting and it makes me so mad that this sort of stuff has to be associated with our club because some people are too thick to understand that banter isn't banter when it's about genocide.

I am glad that the club haven't said the classic line of "these people are not West Ham supporters", because that always feels like clubs trying to distance themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59169405

When I read that this morning I thought “here we go again”, these knuckledraggers sometimes make me ashamed to follow the same club.
    They are a minority but it’s a large minority, which anyone who goes to away games will witness.

• IronHerb said:

No, it couldn't,

Labour MP for Leicester East Claudia Webbe found guilty of harassment has been expelled from the party. She replaced Keith Vaz who was suspended for 6 months by the same committee and Labour did nothing because they accepted he deserved it.

Back in December last year a SNP MP was suspended for 5 days but no mention of it

This year three Conservative MPs have been suspended by the Committee of Standards for a day each

Don't understand this response ASLEF.

Slacker said "They just couldn’t bring themselves to say “Tory MPs “ could they?"
    Fortune said "Slacker, It could so easily have been Labour, LibDem, SNP etc."
    To which I responded "But they would have been mentioned in the headline."

🤔
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

No, it couldn't,

Don't understand this response ASLEF.

Slacker said "They just couldn’t bring themselves to say “Tory MPs “ could they?"
    Fortune said "Slacker, It could so easily have been Labour, LibDem, SNP etc."
    To which I responded "But they would have been mentioned in the headline."

🤔
    It seems to me that ASLEF was responding more to Slacker than to you.
  • Indeed, too many late shifts, I quoted the wrong post
This discussion has been closed.