Everton (A) Carabao Cup, Wednesday 30 September 7:45pm

Comments

• The lack of subs, just watching them completely unable to change the game, for more than 30 minutes, made that like torture. Put a bunch of kids on the bench if you don't want to use the first team.

It was almost like, once it went 2-1, we threw the game.
  • Haller is lazy, is he? How many strikers do little but put the ball in the net? Plenty of teams would buy him and play him in a way to use his strengths. We have a knack at this club or is it just David (I win matches) Moyes not to play attackers in a way that benefits the club. Remember how he cast Javier Hernandez to one side who had a good record in the Premier League.

To most clubs tonights defeat would bring about some new additions but I won't hold my breath with GSB at the helm. They will probably be still living off Sunday's result. God forbid what Leicester will do to us this weekend.
  • I’m sorry but I just can’t for the the life or me understand why when we went 2-1 down we didn’t make any subs. I have supported WHU for 65 years and I am at a complete loss to understand it.
    I even paid £10 to watch the game!
    Sad Sad day for me!!!
  • It may be the first time I have ever watched a game where the side losing by 1 goal has not made a single sub. Has to be?
  • That was really one of the strangest experience I've had watching football. Obviously, I've seen worse performances but that was just weird. It was what I imagine watching a fixed game would look like.
  • Didn't see the game. Assuming Anderson needs a few more cuddles before he's back to his best.
  • It was not a 4-1 game. We lost because Everton had their best team out more or less. We did not. Some of our play was alright, we had lots of the ball, we were in the game until the final 10 mins, Anderson was hopeless, we lost a lot in midfield & Rice looked awkward in defence. We went back to a four at the back when we’ve looked much better with a 3.

But I cannot get my head around the subs. We had good, in-form options on the bench but ignored them.
  • He finds a system against wolves that works, then plays a team and changes the system? I’m at a loss as to his tactical nous he doesn’t win games it’s not what he does and to not see that the midfield was being overseen from minute one is inept IMO and to not change it is criminal, maybe the board don’t trust moyes with money, let’s be right he signed felani
  • Don’t think too much about the changes.

He wanted to go out of this cup tonight, & he achieved it.
  • edited September 2020
    As a West Ham fan you really need to pick and choose which games you watch on TV or in person imo. Some games you just know we're not even interested in winning. That's why I played football tonight instead.
    I've not always felt like that.
  • Hamstew said:

As a West Ham fan you really need to pick and choose which games you watch on TV or in person imo. Some games you just know we're not even interested in winning. That's why I played football tonight instead.

It’s almost always worth playing football instead of watching West Ham.

Bad is one thing. I can accept it. The lack of subs is what I’m angry about. We played for a loss for at least 30 mins. I’ve never seen anything like it.
  • Haller is lazy, is he? How many strikers do little but put the ball in the net? Plenty of teams would buy him and play him in a way to use his strengths. We have a knack at this club or is it just David (I win matches) Moyes not to play attackers in a way that benefits the club. Remember how he cast Javier Hernandez to one side who had a good record in the Premier League.

I didn't see the first half but our crossing in the 2nd half was abysmal. Mostly either didn't clear the first couple of defenders or sailed over everyone's head (although that is how we got our goal). The only time we did cross it to Haller, he brought it down and got off a shot on target that was saved.
  • Looked like the forward line didn’t want to get injured (or tired) before the deadline!
  • I'm as disappointed as any we didn't at least try for the win, but in the grand scheme of things im not too fussed

Think its a eye opener for a large amount of fans who have been screaming for Haller, Anderson, Yarmolenko to start etc .... the truth is the game today highlighted how these types of players (feel Haller is less guilty of this) have performed against Premier league opposition

I hate Moyes lack of sub use, but imo I don't think he trusts the players that are usually on the bench and once again they've shown little for him to change his mind

We put out an almost exclusive 2nd string tonight and lost....but this is a Mickey mouse cup that we aren't going to win, and given the condensed season it would've led to more games (we already have as many cup games as we've had league ones) with little reward
  • There was no intent there and It started with the team selection. We put out a completely different midfield and forward line than what we played on Sunday. If we're going to give Moyes the credit for Sunday, he has to shoulder part of the blame for today.

And why on earth are we resting Fabianski? I'm not saying he could have done better than Randolph but if he is our # 1 then let's play him. Was he even out of breath after the Wolves game?
  • I feel sad that i am not really that upset about tonight ,A couple of years ago this would have put me in a bad mood for days .Now we are out of the cup i dont want to see Anderson in the match day squad ,It was like playing with 10 men tonight
  • One good thing about yesterday is that it ought to give Chelsea food for thought if they are contemplating signing Rice and playing him at c/b
  • Still think long term its good we are out

This squad isn't big enough to be playing an extra game here and there

If we did pick up an injury to one of the 14 or so players Moyes trusts in the league we'd be in trouble

Still makes me sick to think that we got rid of Grady and we have Anderson who us a she of a player still here

Would rather have sold Anderson for £6mil then Grady for £12mil
  • I'm as disappointed as any we didn't at least try for the win, but in the grand scheme of things im not too fussed

I hate Moyes lack of sub use, but imo I don't think he trusts the players that are usually on the bench and once again they've shown little for him to change his mind

Well true sometimes, but last night was not one of those, he did have options but chose not to use them...

Like u said, not fussed about going out the cup, but that result can do little for team confidence/morale.
  • edited October 2020
    Not quite sure what the point of this club is sometimes. Once again we don't go all out to win a cup, presumably so we can focus on the league; a competition that we have zero chance of winning and a very small chance of securing European football through. So what are we doing? Just playing to stay in the Premier League every year?

Starting a game against a PL team with Noble and Snodgrass as a midfield two showed exactly what Moyes thought of this competition. The cynic in me wonders whether he was steered that way so Sullivan didn't need to strengthen the squad to cover the extra games we'd have if we progressed. With our FA Cup campaign kicking off in the January transfer window I would expect exactly the same attitude shown to that cup.

I have no real issue with losing to Everton; they seem to have got everything right since Silva was sacked, unlike us when Pellegrini was binned off at the same time, but to see that we didn't give everything to win makes me wonder what we even exist for.

The clamour for Lanzini, Yarmolenko and Anderson after their performances against League 1 teams was somewhat put into context, and it really does highlight how we lack any real strength in depth. Based on Sundays performance, and hoping that we stay injury-free, we should have enough to stay up, and given that seems to be the board's sole ambition, I wouldn't expect much business done over the next few days.
  • It was a pretty disappointing performance all round but in my opinion it seems unfair to single out Anderson. I thought he was committed and put in a decent shift he looks fit and quick and had a lot of the ball but has lost his form horribly. He certainly did more defensively than Yarmo who was hopeless again for their second goal
  • One thing I’d say is that I don’t think you can judge really any of the backup players on last night. If, for example, Yarmolenko came into the team that beat Wolves, it’s a totally different experience than him coming into a team with wholesale changes.

Everton have won every game, and wanted to win last night. We would have been hard pressed to get a result with our first team, but to make 9 changes made it virtually impossible (I know technically it’s 8, but I’m counting Rice the CM being dropped and Rice the CB, who is a completely different player, coming in as a change).
  • It was a pretty disappointing performance all round but in my opinion it seems unfair to single out Anderson. I thought he was committed and put in a decent shift he looks fit and quick and had a lot of the ball but has lost his form horribly. He certainly did more defensively than Yarmo who was hopeless again for their second goal

He did a lot right until the crucial moment. He looked so bad because he messed up in good positions. But it’s still shocking how badly he messed up those opportunities, just completely unable to control the ball.
  • Such a poor performance. I don’t like to single out players for criticism but our “creative “ players were plain awful.Anderson should have been hooked 10 minutes into the 2nd half , Lanzini and Yarmolenko were shocking so consequently Haller got little or no service.
    Such a shame to see Lanzini playing like that, before the injury he was one of the most exciting players in the league and it’s sad to see what he’s become.
  • At lest Lanzini had that bad injure ,Feel sorry for him ,But Anderson well less said about that the better
  • I wish there was a stat for "dynamic runs" where players surge forward beating one or two players. If there was then Rice at centre back would have the highest rating ! I am aghast at seeing Anderson never trying to go past players, dribble etc (Lanzini occasionally tries but usually fails). Last night so many played as if in a training session where only passes are allowed, not running with the ball or tackling. "Flair" players without the flair are just passengers.
  • I wish there was a stat for "dynamic runs" where players surge forward beating one or two players. If there was then Rice at centre back would have the highest rating ! I am aghast at seeing Anderson never trying to go past players, dribble etc (Lanzini occasionally tries but usually fails). Last night so many played as if in a training session where only passes are allowed, not running with the ball or tackling. "Flair" players without the flair are just passengers.

There kind of is. The stat “take ons” is collected by Opta and I think is reported by Whoscored. It means when a player attempts / successfully dribbles past an opposition player. They don’t do stats like that for Carabao cup though.

As an aside, do you dribble “past” or “passed” or “pass” someone?
  • Alderz, it trips everyone up 😉
    A few examples help:
    I walked past the pub (on a rare occasion😁)
    I passed the pub (no really, I don't have a problem 😁)
    It happened in the past.
    Time passed so slowly.
    In these examples pass (passed) is a verb.
    Past is an adverb in the first example, a noun in the second.
    Hope this helps 😉
  • Alderz, it trips everyone up 😉
    A few examples help:
    I walked past the pub (on a rare occasion😁)
    I passed the pub (no really, I don't have a problem 😁)
    It happened in the past.
    Time passed so slowly.
    In these examples pass (passed) is a verb.
    Past is an adverb in the first example, a noun in the second.
    Hope this helps 😉

Not really I walked by 😂