January transfer window 2019/20 season

Comments

• He'll probably get more football with us, and possibly more money, but a better chance of European football next season with Chelsea.

And would Benfica really risk taking a £22m hit?

Can only see one outcome here (if Sky are right)
  • May depend upon whether the buy clause hits as soon as the target games are reached or only at the end of the 18 months. If the former then Benfica may feel they’ll get the £33M quite early as he’s likely to play more regular games for us and he may not play 50 for Chelsea.
    In any case I reckon he’d personally choose them over us.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Its all about opinions mate and I am totally cool with your hard disagree. I just think Allens a better footballer. He has better vision, passing, tackling and engine as he can be in the opposition box, creating further back or defending all game. I also get that people knock Noble and the lack of pace and the sideways passing stereotypes come out. I'm not knocking him as such. I just think Allens an all round better player

He has also played for Liverpool and Noble hasn't. Not that I am saying that has clouded your judgement. :whistle:
  • Still a big no for me
  • edited January 2020
    Fernandes.. I wonder what the difference is in wage structure? If it's down to the player then money talks.... a possible decision... more playing time Vs more money?.
  • The extra money will sway Benfica but he wants to join us as 3 of his friends are in the Academy although just being at a club in London may diminish his desire.
  • Never seen Gedson play and I assume it’s the same for everyone else? From comments I’ve seen online from Benfica fans, they don’t really rate him too much. I keep seeing comments like he is ok at a lot of things but not very good at anything in particular.

Also, there’s a chance that all these rumours are being generated by the agent.
  • Allen yes please get it done
  • I dont think for one second that over 18 months Gedson will displace any of the Chelsea midfield and play 50% of the games to provoke that buy clause.

Loftus Cheek is due back from injury and we have Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Mount, Hudson Odoi, Pulisic, Willian fighting for places (not to mention Barkley and Pedro who can't get a look in currently).

I am assuming that Benfica, if they have their heads screwed on, should know this.

In any case, the lads an unknown and there's some sort of problem there as he can't even break into their side let alone Chelseas for 50% of the time.

I'm not saying they are the same player but this strikes me as a sort of Renato Sanchez type of vibe (young player, great potential and wheels fall off for some reason). He's young with something about him that's cast him into their reserves and even if the talent shines through there will surely be a decent adjustment time to the Prem.

Personally I am pretty much meh on this. But if we get him, my enthusiasm will rise.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Its all about opinions mate and I am totally cool with your hard disagree. I just think Allens a better footballer. He has better vision, passing, tackling and engine as he can be in the opposition box, creating further back or defending all game. I also get that people knock Noble and the lack of pace and the sideways passing stereotypes come out. I'm not knocking him as such. I just think Allens an all round better player

He has also played for Liverpool and Noble hasn't. Not that I am saying that has clouded your judgement. :whistle:
    My judgments not clouded by him playing for Liverpool. It simply shows how influential he was at Swansea to get that move for a hefty TF fee. He was the heart of an excellent Swansea footballing side and its not as if he was a complete failure at Liverpool (he was there for several seasons and signed by the great Brendan Rogers ;) ).

Also, with the comments in mind that no Prem side came in for him when Stoke got relegated. He was offered a contract and signed it (I am assuming Stoke tried to retain their best players). Whether that was from loyalty or belief they'd bounce back, I would say that any Prem side moving for him with a new contract signed would've had to pay over the odds to get him.

It's not like I am desperate to get him. But I do think hes an upgrade in terms of what he can/has done profile wise in midfield. Anyone who can retrieve the ball, transition from defence to attack quickly would be welcomed into our midfield (IMO)

• BREAKING NEWS

West Ham United have made a revised offer for Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes.

Benfica are leaning towards accepting the new deal.

The club feel Fernandes is more likely to maintain his value at West Ham as they believe he will get more first team opportunities at the London Stadium.

Benfica are due to hold a board meeting tomorrow to discuss the final conditions of the deal
  • What’s the source for that?
  • edited January 2020
    Bazshuayi said:

Loftus Cheek is due back from injury and

we

have Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Mount, Hudson Odoi, Pulisic, Willian fighting for places (not to mention Barkley and Pedro who can't get a look in currently).
    OMG, he's deserted the scousers for the chavs :nonono:
  • Baz playing the field a bit, I see :lol:
  • Baz playing the field a bit, I see :lol:
  • :nonono:

who hacked mine and Hamstews accounts
  • BBC reporting Chelsea have made Diop their prime target and will bid £40m
  • and if I was going to desert the scousers it would NOT be for the Chavs! It'd be for, umm, West Ham I reckon :hmm: :whistle: ;) :run:
  • Maguire's injury could work to our advantage as Diop should also be a target for ManU. I don't want to lose him, but if we do we need to ensure we get full value.
  • I don't want to lose Diop but please don't sell him to Spurs
  • Think we could get £50mil for him

I like Diop, he had a really strong first season with us and only turned 23 today so his best years are ahead of him

That said hes not always been the most consistent as shown this season (and last season) as hes quite rash

Unfortunately I think that we have to sometimes makes sales like these to reinvest when we do have power (think of the money we missed out on Payet and Arnie for holding on too long compared)

We will double our investment which will allow us to buy a decent replacement and invest tin other areas of need I.E CM
  • Agents drumming up rumours?
  • Sky Sports say we've made an improved offer for Gedson Fernandes, 18 month loan with £55m transfer at the end. Benfica have a board meeting today.
  • Nathan Holland confirmed Oxford United Loan.

Reckon he will do well there. Would have liked to see him at a Champo team like Diangana though.

I do hope some of these youngsters start breaking the wall into the first team though. Especially with some of the plodders we currently have in the team.
  • For Diop, I would take £45m-£50m. If we lose Diop, it’s not as if our team will be much worse because of it. He’s not a ‘star player’ that we can’t do without (like Payet).

Buy a replacement for half or less and use the rest to buy a midfielder or striker.

If this transfer has legs, I think it will happen in the summer though.
  • If clubs like Chelsea, United and Spurs are reportedly sniffing around Diop then why do some think he's not good enough for us?
    Reid is 32, Ogbonna 32 and Balbuena 29, with Reid all but finished imo, and we want to sell our young prospect. :hmm:
  • edited January 2020
    I don't think people don't think he's good enough. Maybe just that we could afford to cash in on him as long as we strengthen in key areas. For me personally I'm not overly convinced on him. I think he's decent enough and would be happy to keep him but also wouldn't be overly fussed if we got £50m for him and he left. I agree though our other defenders are starting to get older now so will need to get some reinforcements at some point in that area.
  • As Hamstew said, it’s not that he’s not good enough. He just isn’t a star player who we can’t afford to let go, imo. If it means we can improve our weaknesses, then I’m fine with cashing in on him.
This discussion has been closed.