January transfer window 2019/20 season

Comments

• Yeold I think saying Wilshere is running away with anything is stretching things. He’s hardly run since he’s been here
  • Football Insider reporting that we have bid £5m for Joe Allen, which Stoke have rejected, but they will accept £8m.
  • Another one who I feel his best years are behind him
  • Not impressed by the Randolph signing, which looks like it is going through tomorrow. As far as I remember, he made a fair few errors when he was here last time.

I assume we’ll look to sell Roberto this month or in the summer. We don’t need 4 goalkeepers!
  • David Martin has just Tweeted that he's back in training tomorrow. So unless Fabianksi is playing with an injury and the club are worried about him breaking down again, I'm not sure blowing £4m on another 'keeper this month is the best business.

Still, as long as it doesn't impact on us bringing in players in priority positions (RB, CM, ST) then I'm ok with it.
  • edited January 2020
    Martin was always intended to be 3rd GK (and obvs clubs always have a 3rd .. seen it called 'the training GK' recently ).

Roberto is surely off. He has no future here.

So we need a No. 2.

Adam, Dazzer was our No. 1 after Adrian was dropped for repeated errors.
  • I'd be surprised if Martin plays for us again. Randolf will do as a number two and Roberto can be moved on. Sorted.
  • Surely nobody will buy Roberto, though.
  • edited January 2020
    I think we may need to pay his contract up. We won’t get a fee for him and I doubt anyone will want him on a free transfer either on his existing wage
  • How on earth are we going to move Roberto on?

For sale, one slightly used goalkeeper.
    Results speak for themselves, just have a gander on you tube.
    £50 or near offer. Part exchange for a 2nd hand Austin Allegro considered.
  • We could loan him out (recoup a bit of wages), let him recover his confidence elsewhere (he hasn't always been rubbish) and sell in the summer.

If the confidence thing doesn't materialise, we could cancel his contract (by mutual consent maybe) in the summer and ship him out then (after recouping a bit of wages through loan).

• Rumour as it he went to sign a contract at another club, but dropped it
  • MrsGrey said:

Martin was always intended to be 3rd GK (and obvs clubs always have a 3rd .. seen it called 'the training GK' recently ).

Roberto is surely off. He has no future here.

So we need a No. 2.

Adam, Dazzer was our No. 1 after Adrian was dropped for repeated errors.

Yes, but I think Martin has proven that he's a capable No2. As I say, unless Fab is still carrying an injury, I think we could get by with Fab, Martin and Anang in an emergency until the summer, rather than spend a significant chunk of our reported budget on a position that isn't necessarily a priority.

But if this move doesn't impact on our ability to strengthen in other areas, then it's all good.
  • I liked Randolph when he was here, but I have to question why he’d leave us to get first team football, get it, and then come back to be a sub?
  • He's not been on the Boro bench for a over a month so not getting near first team football.
  • He was injured, wasn’t he?
  • Boro are on a bit of a roll so he would be unlikely to break back in for the moment.
  • Cuz1 said:

Another one who I feel his best years are behind him

Well if his best years were still ahead of him, we wouldn't be talking 8M for him... I think he'd do well for us. For that money, a player with his craft, steel and experience plus capacity to both defend and create attacks would be good alongside Rice.

Any decent established all round midfielder costs a bomb these days. He's only 29 and still does well internationally too. Outside of something along his lines we'd have to unearth someone relatively unknown or pay top dollar for the Doucoures and Gueyes of this world.

This is the guy who ran things for an excellent footballing Swansea side and got a big move to Liverpool because of it. Again, hes 29 so he's not exactly past it. At the end of the day, if Liverpool paid a shed load for him, that's good enough for me :whistle:
  • Ideally, finding the next Gueye or Doucoure is exactly what we'd be trying to do IMO.
  • Need players like Allen that can hit the ground running. It’s going to be a tough job getting clear of relegation this year. Randolph seems like he’s a nice fella to have around, had some great games also last time around. Would be a great double swoop in my mind.
  • Beat Sheffield Friday we move to 11th that’s out the relegation and in the clear
  • while if we be Sheffield Utd would be great , I would hardly say we are clear from relegation IMO, a long way to go...
  • Clear once we hit 40 points
  • Cuz1 said:

Beat Sheffield Friday we move to 11th that’s out the relegation and in the clear

Did they change their name from Sheffield Wednesday :hmm: :puzzled:
  • Ideally, finding the next Gueye or Doucoure is exactly what we'd be trying to do IMO.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking. Finding, however, is not an easy task
  • So Joe Allen and Darren Randolph as our two squad boosters potentially from this window, neither a game changer so Moyes will need to keep momentum going to the end of the campaign.
  • I would argue that Allen has the potential to be a game changer for us. He is capable of playing as a holding midfielder, a central midfielder, and off the striker. He gives us the option to change our central midfield without massively diminishing the quality of the side.

I know what you mean in that he's not going to come on and scare a defence, but I think he enables us to manage the squad, rotate, and move out players who are out of form.
  • He is like Jack W but fit
  • Allen won’t be our solution to our central midfield problems. We still need to get someone else.
  • I wonder are we effectively trying to replace both Sanchez and wilshere?
This discussion has been closed.