Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• On the plus side it means there are two sides who have had a longer wait ;hmm
  • Teddy scored 20 goals in the Championship (2004-05), Morley was last to score 20 in the top flight (1992-93)
  • load of rubbish coming out of Sullivan again when will he stop I'm beginning
    to get fed up with the little man .

Ah, have you been reminiscing about the good old days of Eggert Magnusson?

Eh? When? Did I miss it? You obviously can't mean the Rooney story, which has been dismissed, and for which no source was ever identified, can you?
  • Every season we should aim to get at least one of our youngsters established and save some money
  • I am a little disappointed that we have not seen more of Reece Oxford in the first 11 this season.
  • This is one of our biggest problems

We had Sam give Reece Burke a run of 5 games where he looked pretty ok - what happened since?

Oxford last season had a very good outing at the Emirates. Sure he was given a lesson by Lukaku later in the season but this has happened to many a defender and would have been part of his learning process. Now he sits on Reading's bench struggling for game time.

Yet our first team struggles in a number of positions and repeatedly square pegs are put in round holes.

Very frustrutating.
  • Contrast us and Slav with Spuds and Pochettino. Really shows who is doing the most for young players. ;hmm
  • Harry winks has got his chance in a few games, scored against us (inevitably) and now is rumoured to be on the verge of an England call up ;hmm
  • Posted this on the other thread I just gonna copy and paste it

Not really sure how Tottenham and a Chelsea can relate to us

Like chalobah is 22 and is still barely getting a game, despite being one of the championships best players at 18

Nathan Ake has been highly rated since his teen years, but he's 22 now and only just been recalled to the first team squad, pretty sure he's yet to play since he has

Loftus-Cheek has gone off the boil, remember lucks Piazon? He was there young player of the year now he's with Fulham, the younger hazard left likewise

And Tottenham moved harry Kane around to several clubs during his teens only for him to explode onto the scene

Tom Carroll is 24 and still being moved about on loans

Danny rose was at loans untill he was 23, walker didn't get a chance till he was 21

Winks is 21 and has 433 mins of PL football.....Fernandes is 20 and has 499 minutes

I want to see youth as well but the problem with youth....the inconsistencies and the possibility of not developing their game enough

Oxford 18, Samuelsen 19, Burke 20, Quina 17, Martinez 19, Browne 19

These players have potential but they need development at their ages, and quite frankly if they aren't good enough currently for championship or even league 1 then they aren't going to be of much help, don't think letting in 3 goals every week will ldo much for their confidence
  • edited March 2017
    I would say look at how Everton and Southampton have been putting there youngsters in. They're both good examples of how to do it.

Maybe Bilic doesn't think ours are good enough or maybe he wants to play our best current players.

But it would be nice to see how our youngsters do for a few games, even if they start one game, come off the bench the next, etc.

Obviously now, since we need to make sure of our survival. But earlier in the season, perhaps.
  • If our youngsters are not felt to be good enough to get into championship or league 1 sides then maybe Slav thinks they're not ready for PL football.
    Cullen seems to be the only one regularly playing.
  • Yeah but for me their performance in lower leagues is in no way an accurate indicator as to their potential at West Ham in the first team squad.

Harry Kane wasn't good enough for every club he went on loan to. Didn't score any goals, didn't produce any stand-out moments and didn't do anything to suggest Spurs should give him a chance. But look at him now. England's number one striker. I'm not saying that he is the regular standard but he is an example of what taking a chance achieves.

The reason clubs use the lower leagues is not because they think they'll get guaranteed game time but because they learn a lot of life skills. Playing in League One and Two is brutal, especially for players conditioned in the comfort of PL academies. Direct football, grotty pitches, claustrophobic stadiums, physical games. This is what 17/18/19/20 year olds have to then face and prosper in. The fact Oxford is not playing does not mean he couldn't play for us at Hull a week Saturday and do a decent job. It's probably more to do with adjusting to the culture shock at Reading, which is halting his game time.

I hate hearing "well he can't get in 'x' team, so what chance has he got here?" It's completely inaccurate. He has as much chance as not making it in our team. Surrounded by certain players, in a specific position, performing a certain role and doing this on a consistent basis. Why Burke is still out on loan at 20, having proved he can play at PL level for a mid table team, I don't now? Why is he playing for Bradford/Wigan when he has already shown potential at PL level over half a dozen games or so?

They all have potential to be good footballers. Otherwise they wouldn't be at West Ham on pro-contracts.
  • I'm prepared to give our managers who see these players on a daily basis and obviously form opinions of whether they're ready or not.
    As far as I can recall most if not all of the players over the last few years, who fans have been clamouring to be put into the first team but have left, have really had much of an impact at their current or previous clubs.
    Oxford obviously has great potential but he's still very young and has time on his side. He may be the next Bobby Moore but he may never realise the potential.
    You mention Harry Kane but Spurs didn't take a chance on him until he was in his twenties so I imagine before that they didn't feel he was up to PL standard.
  • mark my words another window will pass with Sullivan trying to wheel and deal
    for some more 30+ year old players on the cheap ;wink

The nearest we will get to a world class striker will be if Arthur Scargill is -
    Reincarnated .

just saying. ;ok
  • edited March 2017
    Let's be honest, our recent record for having home grown players come through and play a reasonable part in the first team is ;hmm

So something isn't working.

We are clinging onto Noble to fill that void and a) he is 30 soon, and b) his place in the side is being questioned

I don't think many are asking for an instant throwback to the days where lampard, cole, Carrick, rio were all seen together, however when your youngest academy player is nearly 30 it can't be right
  • The pressure of modern football and instant success managers often don't get the time to blood players as they judged constantly on results. I don't think it would do good for our youngster if they made a howler in the PL it would shown on TV repeatedly analysised to death . Ideally you would play them in cup games but we drew Chelsea Man Utd and Man City this season and hopefully towards the end of the season when we are safe . The problem they face is clubs can now buy a ready made player with their TV money and the only way to get game time is going out on loan. Carrick Lampard Defoe Cole all went out on loan before making into the first team. Hopefully we can pick up a couple if wins quickly and give a chance to a few of them in relative safe games without much resting on it (not Spurs at home !)
  • http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/march/22-march/mediawatch-22-march

Err.....what the heck is this?

Seriously, they need to stop

;angry
  • I rarely defend the board but i think a lot of other clubs have this on their websites too. I know Arsenal do ;hmm
  • Not worried about other clubs twist, this is rubbish regardless of who else has it

Oh arsenal you say, that would make sense though

#FollowTheModel

• Oh arsenal you say, that would make sense though

#FollowTheModel

Of course. Karren's favourite club, after all.
  • No it isn't.
  • Oh yes it is (panto season is going on a bit late)

In her Sun column a few years ago Brady said she was always conflicted when West Ham play Arsenal because she grew up a Gooner.

West Ham is the just the club that pays her bills.

Eh? When? Did I miss it? You obviously can't mean the Rooney story, which has been dismissed, and for which no source was ever identified, can you?
    Oh come on G, Sullivan has a history of leaking things to the press. Well known knowledge he has a few journo mates
  • OK, so have I got this right?

a) story comes out without any source

b) the assumption is made that this is from Diddy Dave (on no evidence)

c) DD gets stick for being assumed to be the source

d) it turns out the story was a load of made up tosh (i.e. there was no source)

e) DD still gets stick, even though he hadn't done what people assumed he had done, because everyone know he does that sort of thing...
  • Grey,

you missed out the point where DD also made this all up just to get people to buy season tickets, because the waiting list is actually also made up and they are desperate for people to buy tickets...
  • Mooj

;ok

Good point, well made.

It's hard to keep track...
  • OK, so have I got this right?

a) story comes out without any source

b) the assumption is made that this is from Diddy Dave (on no evidence)

c) DD gets stick for being assumed to be the source

d) it turns out the story was a load of made up tosh (i.e. there was no source)

e) DD still gets stick, even though he hadn't done what people assumed he had done, because everyone know he does that sort of thing...

No dear. It's KB's fault.

Everything is KB's fault.

• The board are perfect. They've never done anything wrong. They've never spoken too much in the media about transfers. The Olympic stadium move has been a complete success with no problems whatsoever. They never promised a top striker. Everything about them is fantastic.

Irons
    ;ok
This discussion has been closed.