Academy and Development Squad Develoments 2015/16

Comments

• The Telegraph & Argus Player of the Year award goes to Reece Burke. (official)
    By the way, what an evening for Reece Burke. Thoroughly deserved and what a player @whufc_official have on their hands!
    Reece gave a special mention of thanks to his family and his dad, John, who gets to most games despite living over 3 hours away in London

;clap
  • Shows we don't need to sign any more centre backs this summer. Well done Reece ;clap
  • ;clap
    Well done Reece, what with Samulsen and Oxford, the future is bright for us.
    coyi
  • Shows we don't need to sign any more centre backs this summer. Well done Reece ;clap

I'd go further, Twist, and say it was a big blow not having him available to us in the second half of this season because especially since Ginge got injured our defence has been pretty porous
  • An article with some quotes from Phil Parkinson

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportbcfc/14453587.Burke_named_Bradford_City_s_top_man_____but_only_just/?ref=rss

I hope he breaks into the 1st team sooner rather than later, but I am a little more cautious: 1 good season playing in League 1doesn't in itself mean he's ready for PL, imo.

I mean, would we sign a good defender from one of the other teams like Wigan or Barnsley, who have had similarly good seasons?

Personally, I'd like to see if he can do it all over again in the Championship.
  • Yes but he already has a string of games under his belt in season 14/15?
  • Yea think people may be getting a little ahead of themselves

The lad is only 19, for attackers maybe it's a good age to break into a first team but defenders are a lot less forgiving

Atm we have centre backs in Reid, Ogbonna, Collins and Tomkins with Kouyate providing extra cover if needed

I think that if we sell Tomkins then Burke can be drafted in be only if we do, he needs game time and the jump from League 1 to the championship is a big jump let alone league 1 to the premier league

That said maybe a couple of the youth players may be needed next year as I feel we'll try take the Europe league more seriously next year and we'll need a big squad
  • edited April 2016
    baracks, 5 ;ok

What I like is that he was the most consistent player for Bradford, and that was based on objective measurements in each match.

The Player of the Year stuff is just a popularity contest, more or less, as it is a fan vote, based on their subjective opinions. (Plus it was pretty much a 3-way tie in the end).
  • #getburkeonachampohype
  • Each player needs to be assessed on their own merits IMO - so there shouldn't per se be a requirement to do champo time - after all someone like Defoe didn't need to
  • edited April 2016
    Did #JimDeezy go from L1/L2 (bournemouth) to prem?
  • I do wonder with our purchasing of younger talent if the idea of B teams in lower leagues has gathered some sort of momentum behind closed doors.
  • baracks, I don't disagree.

I haven't seen enough of him playing to judge how good he is, though. But (I suspect) neither have those saying he's ready for the Prem.

I would, though, be surprised if he could make our starting XI ahead of any of our current CBs. Whether he's capable of doing so after a bit more improvement - who knows? So where's he going to play to continue his development. I assume he's gone beyond Dev Squad level now. Hence my suggesting Champo, or even lower Prem (but I think it would be better to be away from any relegation battles ;hmm )

• Burke and Samuleson both need a season in the championship.
  • Bradford are hoping to get promoted. ( Play-Offs)
  • Burke and Samuleson both need a season in the championship.

Agree with this completely. I hope Bradford get promoted so Burke and Cullen can return there.

Also, to address another comment that I've seen here and other threads. Have people forgotten that Tomkins was first choice CB at the start of the season before RB crisis and his injuries? New season will come and he will arguably be first choice again, we won't sell him. He is massively underrated. He's also not slow, whoever said that. I've seen him out pace some of the fastest strikers around, more accurately he lacks total concentration but he is definitely not slow.

• Also, to address another comment that I've seen here and other threads. Have people forgotten that Tomkins was first choice CB at the start of the season before RB crisis and his injuries? New season will come and he will arguably be first choice again, we won't sell him. He is massively underrated. He's also not slow, whoever said that. I've seen him out pace some of the fastest strikers around, more accurately he lacks total concentration but he is definitely not slow.

Tomkins wasn't first choice CB at the beginning of the season though

He played RB agaisnt Arsenal then was dropped to the bench for Jenkinson while Reid and Ogbonna started at CB for the next few games untill Ogbonna injured himself

That was all before Collins came into fantastic form
    That plus Collins age means he'll be happier with a bench role
    Tomkins is now fit again, and despite us having a leaky defence Bilic is sticking with Ogbonna & Reid and now he can't even get in at RB with Antonio

I love Tomkins and agree he's really underrated and imo should be starting at RB atm but he is our third choice CB at best and would warrant a decent fee to a mid table premier league club which is why i can possibly see him leave in the summer

But based on him being 1st choice CB next year there is almost no evidence to suggest that

I'd keep him even if he did want out as the Europe league campaign is a gruelling one and reid isn't the most reliable defender to stay fit but player power the days means we may have no choice in the matter
  • I'd rather get rid of Ogbonna than Tonks
  • edited April 2016
    SB;

Reece Burke won the Bradford City Player of the Year – is he someone you’ll look at for next season to play a part with the first team?

“I like Reece. He already played some friendlies and in Europe for us. He’s a very clever player. It was and still is part of the plan for a few to go on loan, minimum one year, maybe two, for them to improve, and them to come back with a clear situation. To say, you will play a part for West Ham and be an important player for the squad. After that, we will decide if he’s going to do another year, and that has to be at least the Championship, or he’s going to stay with us. He will stay with us only if he has a good chance to play.”

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/April/28-April-(1)/Slaven-Speaks-WBA
  • edited April 2016
    Send Samuelson Burke Cullen to champo teams. if they do the business there out goes ginge in comes Burke and Samuelson comes in as Payets understudy. Cullen comes in as Nobles understudy. The treadmill rolls on.
  • Kyle Knoyle got relegated today, with Dundee Utd.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36126882
  • Send Samuelson Burke Cullen to champo teams. if they do the business there out goes ginge in comes Burke and Samuelson comes in as Payets understudy. Cullen comes in as Nobles understudy. The treadmill rolls on.

What about Oxford and the two new guys? I think we should send them out too. They'll need game time to improve and our side will be tough to break into.
  • Anyone know when the dev squad final 2nd leg is at Hull? I thought it was today but nothing on the clubs twitter?
  • I'll tell you when you've started the Swansea match thread... ;wink

It's tomorrow:

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/May/3-May/Preview-Hull-City-U21
  • Cheers Grey ;ok I'll get the thread up now ;whistle
  • Does this mean Suze is in Hull this evening? ;lol
  • Norty norty! ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.