Leverkusen (H) Thursday 18 April 8pm live on TNT

edited April 17 in Match Threads
30 hours before kick off, might as well get this one started

Ex says Bowen, Areola and Phillips all returned to training today

Victor Bonifce started against Werder Breman at the weekend, replaced by Schick after an hour. Wirtz, Frimpong and Grimaldo came on in the second half

Comments

• WIN ...............But only 2-1 and we know what that means
  • Ex says Bowen, Areola and Phillips all returned to training today

Moyes confirmed this in his presser, but said he doesn't know if any of them will be fit enough to feature.

• Give Bowen all the injections in the cupboard
  • I can probably see him on the bench and if we seem to have a game on our hands by half time maybe we will risk him, if it has slipped further away then not worth the risk.

Although it would look unlikely in normal circumstances I would have still held out some hope as I do think we paid them a lot of respect and I do know we can hurt teams when we take a match to them, this said with Paquetta, Bowen and Emerson out I just find it hard to see where the goals would come from. Nothing to lose now so all in from the first whistle to try and get an early goal to breathe life into the tie again.
  • Personally I think Bowen will start. We need to present a threat from the very start. I'm not saying we should be gung ho, but a front 3 of Bowen, Antonio and Kudus will offer something, and also, tbh, we really don't have great alternatives.

I think we'll see:

Fabianski
    Coufal Zouma Aguerd Cresswell
    Soucek Alvarez
    Bowen JWP Kudus
    Antonio
  • edited April 17
    First 11 will need to do all the work, not a lot in reserve. I’d expect…

Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Cresswell
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Antonio - Kudus

If Bowen has a sniff, he’ll start. Mavro looks doubtful & Emerson/Paqueta out. Alvarez back in.

It’s still not a bad side if that is the 11.
  • Bowen will obviously want to play (and I'm guessing the staff will be persuaded) but I hope he doesnt do himself any long term injury!

If a golkeeper trains (considering all the diving about etc) surely hes fit enough to be on the bench as I assume Fab ewill continue in Europe
  • Also unless something truly miraculous happens, its been a nice and long journey in Europe for us. I doubt we'll qualify for next season there but fingers crossed we can try next season (as we've all got the taste for it now)
  • I hope Alvarez sticks to defending, and lets Soucek attack more. And someone please find Kudus' shooting boots for him. 🤞
  • Matchday.

COYI ⚒⚒⚒

•  ⚒⚒⚒
  • Random Take That story (might have shared before).

A friend applied to the BBC for tickets to some show (might have been Strictly), was unsuccessful but she was somehow offered tickets to one of the days of filming for the Christmas and New Year episodes of Top of the Pops at the end of 2008. They must have been filmed right at the start of December as I went off skiing for 5 months on about 5th December, and it was a few days before that. TOTP have been huge to my generation when we were in our teens, but it obviously declined with music channels like MTV and the weekly show had been cancelled in 2006.

3 of us went up, and we must have been twice as old as anyone else there 😂🤣😂. My sister was so jealous that I was about 10 feet away from Take That. Greatest Day was one of the songs they played; it always makes me think of that random day with a couple of great friends whenever I hear it.
  • I'm just amazed you could go off skiing for 5 months. Either very well off or a ski instructor. ;)
  • I'm just amazed you could go off skiing for 5 months. Either very well off or a ski instructor. ;)

Neither. Definitely not a ski instructor, I'd only been skiing twice when I did my first season; I was a late starter, I was 39 when I first went skiing.

I had a decently paid job but it was making me miserable so I decided life was too short and I quit (no family so no responsibilities other than myself). Sold the swanky apartment (with a big mortgage) that I had and that's how I could afford the extended holiday. Came back, worked the summer, and then went and did a second season which was the one I referenced above.
  • Need an early goal to get the place rocking .Also they should bring George Earthy on the pitch to wave to the fans .Anything to to get us worked up
  • Random Take That story (might have shared before).

A friend applied to the BBC for tickets to some show (might have been Strictly), was unsuccessful but she was somehow offered tickets to one of the days of filming for the Christmas and New Year episodes of Top of the Pops at the end of 2008. They must have been filmed right at the start of December as I went off skiing for 5 months on about 5th December, and it was a few days before that. TOTP have been huge to my generation when we were in our teens, but it obviously declined with music channels like MTV and the weekly show had been cancelled in 2006.

3 of us went up, and we must have been twice as old as anyone else there 😂🤣😂. My sister was so jealous that I was about 10 feet away from Take That. Greatest Day was one of the songs they played; it always makes me think of that random day with a couple of great friends whenever I hear it.

So anyway, about tonight’s game…….😉

• I've tried to make myself hopeful for tonight but can't. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood
  • I’m hopeful. I saw Ward-Prowse saying we’re going to go at them full throttle and now I for some reason believe we can beat them 3-0.
  • We need to just go for it right from the start. We need to win by at least 2 goals so keeping it tight for the first half makes no sense. 0-0 or 0-6 makes no difference.
    It’s a long shot so I don’t mind if we lose as long as we have a real go at them. Let’s not play it safe and go out with a whimper.
  • edited April 18
    Bowen starts:

Fabiański, Coufal, Zouma ©, Aguerd, Cresswell, Álvarez, Ward-Prowse, Souček, Kudus, Bowen, Antonio
    Subs: Anang (GK), Knightbridge (GK), Ogbonna, Ings, Johnson, Cornet, Mubama, Orford, Casey, Swyer
  • What a bench though, only Ogbonna, Ings, Johnson and Cornet as senior outfield players.
  • Let's just go for it. I would love an early goal for us.
  • Nice, positive start.
  • Early yellow for one of their CBs.
  • I like what we're doing. Now let's just avoid any silly mistakes at the back.
  • Decent save by Fab from a long range effort.
  • Gooooooal
  • Antonio!!!!
    The dream is alive!
  • Get in, Antonio.