Manchester United (A) 2:00pm Sunday, 4th February 2024

edited February 2 in Match Threads
It's the Moyes derby.

Old Trafford is traditionally not a good hunting ground for us. The last time we won there in the league was in 2007. Coincidently, that was also the last time we did the league double over them. Unfortunately Moyes has never won there in the league as a visiting manager (lost 12 and drawn 4). Here's hoping that 17 is his lucky number.

Hopefully Aguerd will be back.
We've gone through another transfer window without bringing in a replacement striker. I didn't think Bowen had a good game yesterday. We need to get him back to his favoured position.
Coufal is available so Moyes will have to choose between him and Ben Johnson. I thought Johnson has done okay although his crossing into the box needs a lot of work.
My bigger concern is the form and fitness of Zouma. I think he had his worst game ever in a West Ham shirt yesterday against Bournemouth. He was more at fault than KP for their goal. He constantly gave away the ball and under hit passes. He just doesn't look 100% to me.
Benrahma is still suspended so we won't have to worry about his frame of mind after we (seemingly) botched his move to Lyon.

I think Moyes will go with:
Areola; Coufal, Zouma, Aguerd, Emerson, Philips, Soucek, Alvarez, Kudus, Ward-Prowse, Bowen

The good news is that ManU has one of the worst records in the league for goals conceded so we must put pressure on Onana. I'm going to go for another draw 2-2.

Comments

• Can Zouma play 2 games in just a few days
  • Looks like I may not be up to speed with the transfer antics. Even if he wasn't suspended Benrahma couldn't play as it now appears the transfer to Lyon is back on.
    I'm confused about the whole situation
  • edited February 3
    Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Phillips - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Cornet

Is all we can really go with now?

Or maybe:

Areola
    Mavropanos - Zouma - Ogbonna
    Johnson - Phillips - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse - Emerson
    Kudus
    Bowen
  • Never mind if zouma can play ,how about phillips after just 3 days rest ,really only 2 and a half days
  • Phillips is here, we may as well keep him in the team until he’s fit.
  • Zouma is a huge concern for me, not just for this game but as someone to be relied on for the rest of the season; he just looks broken. He seems to be getting worse and worse by the game.

That being said, if it wasn't 3 days between games this might be the sort of fixture that would suit him most; I suspect we'll be under siege for most of it. For this reason I also think it's very unlikely we'll drop Soucek.

I think it will, like last night, be a case of trying to shoe-horn in Moyes's preferred players into whatever formation he thinks will work best; I'd be surprised, given the continued absenses of Paqueta and Antonio, if all 4 of Alvarez, Phillips, Soucek and JWP don't start. Johnson will be dropped back to the bench to provide cover for them imo.

Areola
    Coufal Mavropanos Aguerd Emerson

and then in some sort of formation:

Kudus Bowen Alvarez Phillips Soucek JWP

• I think he may go with a back five. He won’t go with the same set-up as Thursday, he won’t start Cornet and he won’t want to play Kudus or Bowen on the left.
  • edited February 3
    Bench looking a little stronger for this game:

Fabianski, Aguerd (?), Ogbonna, Coufal, Cresswell, Cornet, Antonio (?), Ings, Mubama
  • Lukerz said:

Bench looking a little stronger for this game:

Fabianski, Aguerd (?), Ogbonna, Coufal, Cresswell, Cornet, Antonio (?), Ings, Mubama

Antonio on the bench is very optimistic imo. From Moyes's presser:

"Michail Antonio is coming on a bit more. He’s running on the grass now. He’s not worked with or trained with the team but he’s training outside. I couldn’t give a projected return date at this moment though."

https://www.whufc.com/news/talking-points-moyes-manchester-united-erik-ten-hag-and-transfer-window
  • Yeah, ex said he had a chance for the Bournemouth game & Moyes always plays mind games so who knows.
  • Surely Coufal starts?
  • MrsGrey said:

Surely Coufal starts?

Can't see why not. He was suspended not injured and Johnson was hardly outstanding against Bournemouth.

Starting Phiilips was a mistake, he hadn't started since September and hadn't budged from the bench since November. He needs time to settle in and shake off the rust
  • Man Utd team news

Martial, Malacia and Mount all out

Lindelof back in training, Wan-Bissaka training by Ten Hag doesn't think he'll be ready for Sunday

Amrabat back from ACON

Best guess

Onana
    Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
    Mainoo Casemiro
    Garnacho Feranades Rashford
    Hajlund
  • Good to see Orford, Scarles and Casey training with the first team squad ahead of the trip to Old Trafford:

https://www.whufc.com/news/training-gallery-irons-prepare-old-trafford-trip
  • Andy Madley, he who disallowed Cornet's goal against Chelsea last season is the ref for this one, guessing we can look forward to the usual Sky 6 bias here.
  • edited February 4
    I wonder if Ben Johnson is playing LW after his cameo the other week.

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Johnson

Either that or a back 3 with Johnson as a RCB.

Areola
    Johnson - Zouma - Aguerd
    Coufal - Soucek - Alvarez - JWP - Emerson
    Kudus - Bowen
  • I don’t see why it is a back 3 with Johnson if we have Mavro and Ogbonna on the bench. Maybe Emerson LW & Johnson LB, or Johnson LW.
  • Johnson will be playing in a back 3 so that Zouma isn't totally exposed.
  • Basically our best 11 again minus Paqueta
  • Ex says it’s a 4-3-3 with Johnson on the wing.
  • All i seem to be hearing is about Man U ,Rasford etc .Who are they playing today =)
  • That's why I don't tune in till kick off.
  • steve said:

All i seem to be hearing is about Man U ,Rasford etc .Who are they playing today =)

To be fair, they’re talking about Arsenal and Liverpool as well…😜⚒
  • There's not alot of creativity on display today and our set pieces have gone to pot lately.
  • How is that not a penalty, Casemiro 2 arms around Alvarez at that corner?
  • How is that not a penalty, Casemiro 2 arms around Alvarez at that corner?

Who are we playing
  • edited February 4
    Not a bad opening 10 mins, we are closing them down look like we have turned up today
  • Decent save by Areola from Fernandes.
  • edited February 4
    Alan Smith says VAR will look at the height of Soucek's challenge - his foot slid along the grass. =)