Bournemouth (H) 7:30pm Thursday 1st February 2024

After a crazy last few minutes at Sheffield, we came away with a point but were very disappointed to not have all 3. But we'll respect the point. We're still in 6th, 3 points ahead of Brighton & Man Utd. The lowest place we can start our next game is 7th as Brighton play Luton next Tuesday.

On to the Bournemouth game. Despite their trouncing at Liverpool, they are one of the in-form teams although on paper we seem closely matched. Based on the last 8 games, they scored 16 out of a possible 24 points (5 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses) and we scored 15 out of a possible 24 (4 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss). Although in our weakened state, I fear the worst. Andoni Iraola has his team playing an aggressive, high press game and we can expect them to come at us straight out of the blocks.

My heart says 2-2 draw but my head says 1-3 loss. But they surprised me last time so there's always hope.

Comments

• edited January 23
    Over the last six games Iraola hasn't changed his starting XI much except for injuries and suspensions

There's a bit of a problem with both fullbacks as Kerkez, Aarons, Fredericks, Adams and Smith all currently listed as injured while Dango Ouattara is at the ACON

They recalled 22yo CB James Hill from loan at Blackburn and he played as a makeshift LB against Liverpool for 55 minutes before he was replaced by another CB Lloyd Kelly.

Neto
    ??????? Zabamyi Senessi ??????
    Cook Christie
    Tavernier Kluivert (Billing or Sinisterra)
    Solanke
  • Will Kudus be available for this one now that Ghana are out or will do you reckon the club lets him have a winter break and miss this one?
  • A break for playing 2 games? I reckon he'll get a few days off and be back for Monday.
  • Will Kudus be available for this one now that Ghana are out or will do you reckon the club lets him have a winter break and miss this one?

He had a bit of a break after he last played for us until Ghana's second game as he was injured, so I think he plays against Bournemouth if he's fit. He last played for us on 28th December, and then he didn't play again until 18th January, so 3 weeks between games although admittedly he was injured for some of that.

• I think, with Bowen also back, if Kudus returns I'll be far more optimistic about us scoring/picking up points. Bournemouth seem to be a world away from what they were and are a pretty dangerous side now IMO
  • We can hopefully expect to see Phillips now also. I doubt he would start but we must look to get him to match fitness asap so he should get a least half an hour.

Presume he'll be back, he'll have at least a week in the UK, a couple days at worst and is fit

That and we don't really have any alternatives, if he's fit Moyes plays him

No idea what condition Phillips will be in, but wouldn't surprise me if Moyes starts him if Alvarez is still injured
  • Alvarez was in contention for the Sheffield Utd game but didn't make it so I expect him to be fit for Bournemouth. I think Antonio is likely to be fit for this game too.
  • Last night Bournemouth started with four CBs across the back

Travers
    Hill Zabamyi Senessi Kelly
    Cook Christie
    Brooks Scott Sinisterra
    Solanke

LB Milos Kerkez made his return from injury as a half time substitute for Kelly but makeshift RB James Hill went off with an ankle after an hour, replaced by 23yo CM/DM Gavin Kilkenny who made his first appearance of the season

Philip Billing was missing and has been linked with a move to Newcastle this week

Ghanaian LW/RW Antoine Semenyo was on the bench but LW/LB Dango Ouattara is still at ACON with Burkina Faso who play Mali on Tuesday
  • Just checked the touch maps on Whoscored, after Hills went off it looks like Kilkenny moved into midfield and Cook dropped back to RB
  • 3 more sleeps =)
  • Anyone know if Kudus might play
  • I dont see why not.
  • After the results tonight this match is such a good opportunity to close distance on Villa and keep distance between ourselves and the rest of the pack in Newcastle, Brighton and United. If we have everyone fit (probably other than Paquetta) we should be able to take that opportunity. Bournemouth have done really well this season and went on a run that has almost secured their league status again for the season, but player for player we should be the better team.

• edited January 31
    So what do we think?

Areola
    Johnson - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Kudus - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse - Fornals
    Ings
    Bowen

Phillips on the bench. Could play Cornet over Fornals.
  • I can’t see Soucek not playing unless Phillips takes his place, personally
  • edited January 31
    Bournemouth news

RB Adam Smith is available after missing two games

Itaola says AM Philip Billing missed the Swansea game because he "wasn't feeling 100%" but he's available again despite still being linked with a move to Newcastle

AM/RW Romain Faivre has been recalled from loan at Lorient

RW David Brooks has gone on loan to Saints

LB/LW Dango Ouattara won't be back from ACON in time to be included

Best guess

Neto
    Smith Zabamyi Senessi Kerkez
    Cook Christie
    Tavernier Kluivert Billing/Sinisterra
    Solanke
  • Can Aguerd hop on a plane and get back for this game seeing as his AFCON is over.
  • MIAHammer said:

Can Aguerd hop on a plane and get back for this game seeing as his AFCON is over.

There's no reason he shouldn't be back in the country, can't see him starting, but wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench tbh.
  • Aguerd could only hop on a plane if we paid for one, otherwise he'd have had to fly from San Pedro to Abidjan yesterday, then to overnight to Paris and arrive in London this morning.

He'd have spent a large amount of the 48 hours between matches in transit so might not be in the best condition.

Ouattara won't be available for Bournemouth and his match finished before Aguerd's kicked off
  • Must admit, I didn't realise it would be such a complicated journey, I figured about a 7 hour flight direct into Heathrow, so even with a bit of faff within the Ivory Coast, then no problem for him to have been back at some point yesterday. How little I know.
  • He won’t be back tonight but should have a chance of being involved Sunday, surely.
  • Lukerz said:

He won’t be back tonight but should have a chance of being involved Sunday, surely.

I'd certainly hope so.

• Areola, Johnson, Mavropanos, Zouma ©, Emerson, Álvarez, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Souček, Kudus, Bowen
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Ogbonna, Cresswell, Cornet, Ings, Orford, Mubama, Casey, Scarles

Phillips starts.
  • Ward-Prowse at 10?
  • edited February 1
    Areola
    Johnson Mavropanos Zouma Emerson
    Soucek Alvarez Phillips
    Kudus Bowen JWP

or will it be more like

Johnson Mavropanos Zouma Emerson
    Soucek Alvarez Phillips
    JWP
    Kudus Bowen

I suspect it will be somewhat fluid between the above two formations, kinda like when Paqueta is nominally on the left but with a lot of freedom.
  • Shows how thin the squad is, 4 of our bench played last night.
  • Well, 4 of our senior players are injured/suspended/on international duty...

Anyway, surely we are pleased the kids are getting the experience?

#can'thaveitbothways :p
  • Expecting 3 points tonight
  • Will be a tough game but should be open.