ACON January 2023

This discussion was created from comments split from: Fulham Vs West Ham - Sun 10th Dec - 2pm kick off.

Comments

• January could be fun with the ACoN. We lose 2 regulars and probably 2 back ups. That’s a big chunk of the squad.
  • Aguerd and Kudus will be losses. Benrahma hasn’t been anything like productive this season so I won’t worry about him not coming off the bench, and I don’t think it matters if Cornet is here or not, either way he won’t get any games.
  • Moyes was asked if Kudus would be available for Brighton

"We've not had confirmation on any of our African Nations players on their join-up dates, which is very unusual".

It starts Saturday 13th so very odd
    alderz said:

Benrahma hasn’t been anything like productive this season so I won’t worry about him not coming off the bench, and I don’t think it matters if Cornet is here or not, either way he won’t get any games.

We'll miss him if Paqueta's injury keeps him out for a few weeks
  • Apparently Cornet didn't make his countries squad.
  • Not much of a surprise, Cornet wasn't called up for the last two internationals breaks

Aguerd called up by Morocco, Ghana and Algeria still haven't announced their squads

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/67285720
  • Benrahma didn't make it either
  • So it’s just Aguerd and Kudus? I don’t think I’m forgetting anyone else.
  • alderz said:

So it’s just Aguerd and Kudus? I don’t think I’m forgetting anyone else.

Yep.
  • I would be hopeful Ogbonna can step in the Aguerd after the Arsenal match, we do have a replacement for Kudus in Bowen but not a replacement for Bowen sadly.
  • Antonio if fit
  • edited December 2023

Antonio if fit

Not sure when that's likely to be, Moyes said in his pre-Arsenal presser:

“Michail is not ready yet. There’s not return date for Mick yet.”
  • True, but he is the replacement.

Otherwise Mubama or Ings which changes our way of playing.
  • I think Moyes is much more likely to leave Bowen up front, and play Fornals or Cornet (or possibly even Benrahma) once Kudus leaves for the AFCON.
  • I hope so if Antonio is not available =)
  • edited December 2023
    I think Antonio will be back for 21st against Sheffield United our next league game after 2nd Jan against Brighton, Moyes said Antonio was training on grass so sounds like he is close to a return i would think in 3 weeks he will be ready.
  • The reports are that Kudus will not be selected for the Brighton game because the Ghana manager Chris Hughton doesn't want him to play in case he gets injured.
    Seeing we will be without Paqueta and Aguerd can we refuse this request?
  • mike said:

The reports are that Kudus will not be selected for the Brighton game because the Ghana manager Chris Hughton doesn't want him to play in case he gets injured.
    Seeing we will be without Paqueta and Aguerd can we refuse this request?

I'm not sure we can, officially Kudus has to be released for international duty by tomorrow. We've probably asked for an exemption so he can play on Tuesday, the same round of fixtures as all the other players in the PL will have played, but it seems Hughton is playing hard-ball and refusing to let him play.
  • We should be careful here. Based on his interviews Kudus is clearly very proud of his Ghanaian heritage and will definitely want to play in AFCON if selected. We should not make this difficult or it could easily become a barrier to his enthusiasm for West Ham.

Clearly he will be a big miss, but we should not stand in the way.
  • Dodger58 said:

We should be careful here. Based on his interviews Kudus is clearly very proud of his Ghanaian heritage and will definitely want to play in AFCON if selected. We should not make this difficult or it could easily become a barrier to his enthusiasm for West Ham.

Clearly he will be a big miss, but we should not stand in the way.

I'm not saying we should stand in his way, but Ghana's first game isn't until 14th January; playing on 2nd January for us shouldn't really be a problem imo, there's still way more preparation time after that than before a usual international match.
  • I wonder what Kudus would prefer to do?
  • And to think Hughton used to be a Hammer.
  • And to think Hughton used to be a Hammer.

He also used to manage Brighton.

It does seem unfair that we would lose him simply because our game has been scheduled a bit later than most.
  • alderz said:

It does seem unfair that we would lose him simply because our game has been scheduled a bit later than most.

It's the fact that it was re-scheduled solely for TV that makes it so bad imo; without TV it would have been played by 31st December.

• On the other hand without TV money we probably wouldn't have him to miss. 🤷‍♂️
  • IronHerb said:

On the other hand without TV money we probably wouldn't have him to miss. 🤷‍♂️

True, but in this instance it's only 4 clubs that are potentially being negatively affected, the other 16 all had their AFCON players available to play in this round of fixtures. It will be interesting to see if Egypt let Salah play this evening.
  • IronHerb said:

True, but in this instance it's only 4 clubs that are potentially being negatively affected, the other 16 all had their AFCON players available to play in this round of fixtures. It will be interesting to see if Egypt let Salah play this evening.
    Salah is listed as unavailable on FF, but Kudus isn’t.
  • edited January 1
    alderz said:

Egypt announced their squad on Saturday, Ghana are supposed to announce theirs today
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

So was Son, listed as unavailable, but he played. 🤷‍♂️
  • edited January 1
    IronHerb said:

Son is currently listed as unavailable, but that's for future matches; he scored 9 points in this current gameweek.

• IronHerb said:

Son is currently listed as unavailable, but that's for future matches; he scored 9 points in this current gameweek.

I know but he was marked as unavailable, like Salah, as I have both in my team along with Kudus.