Everton fc

Everton fc have been deducted an immediate 10 points for Premier league profit and sustainability rule breach. See various news outlets.

Comments

• I am not convinced that I am comfortable with this as it seems so subjective, why 10 pts, why not 5 or 15, and why now with immediate effect, I confess that I have not looked deeply at the issue because I feel that if they lied or tried to cover up the malfeasance, then there is no defence.

I suspect the league chose 10pts and with immediate effect as they are thinking that Everton will not be cut adrift and are hoping a “we will show them” type response will arise and that Everton have the time to save themselves.

I do not have an answer as to what punishment is appropriate - but this seems a little contrived to me

Ho hum
  • I do not have an answer as to what punishment is appropriate - but this seems a little contrived to me

I certainly agree with this bit, delay the decision (ie not make it last season) so that they can apply the deduction and still allow time for any appeal before the start of next season.

A quicker decision (ie before the end of last season, which was appropriate given when Everton's financial results came out) would and should have seen Everton relegated but the PL deferred making a decision to make life easier for itself. Gutted.
  • edited November 2023
    It was the independent commission who determined the points deduction and the breach of the rules was referred to the commission in March of this year so there wouldn’t have been time for this to have happened last season. Everton gave evidence to the commission and admitted the offences so I can only guess their appeal is based upon the fact they feel the deduction is too big.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if the appeal succeeds and the deduction is either reduced or removed.
    This should be sending alarm bells to Chelsea and City and it will be interesting to see what happens with them now this precedent has been set.
  • The Premier League have now created a credibility test for themselves and each club must now be treated equally, and each punishment has a precedent to be measured by as £19.5m over spend amounts to an immediate 10 point deduction.

This is going to be fun.
  • They could've deducted before Evertons recent run of wins and that might have mentally been more tougher for them (seeing a minus score on the league table)
  • Apparently the PL wanted a 12 point deduction but the commission felt 10 was more appropriate.
  • edited November 2023
    Everton apparently admitted to the breach but pleaded mitigating circumstances, Covid and other circumstances they say were outside of their control. However the commission’s view was that despite the fact the club came clean they had still broken the rules which is true. Thus the sanction was applied.
    Manchester City have been charged with 115 separate offenses all of which the club have denied. The cynics amongst us might conclude that the intention is to tie the investigative process up in knots for years looking into each one thus avoiding any sanctions for goodness knows how long.
  • Daily Mail reporting that Burnley, Leeds and Leicester will be looking for £100m compensation each from Everton. If the court case succeeds bidders 777 Partners could withdraw their interest, Everton would go into administration and would be deducted another 9 points
  • Daily Mail reporting that Burnley, Leeds and Leicester will be looking for £100m compensation each from Everton. If the court case succeeds bidders 777 Partners could withdraw their interest, Everton would go into administration and would be deducted another 9 points

Let's hope so 😂🤣😂
  • Burnley and Leeds were getting relegated whether or not Everton were docked points this season or last. So I don't see how they would have a case.
  • Burnley and Leeds were getting relegated whether or not Everton were docked points this season or last. So I don't see how they would have a case.

I imagine their argument is that Everton wouldn't have finished as high as they did in 2021/22 or 2022/23 if they hadn't spent money they shouldn't have

2021/22 Burnley 18th 35pts, Everton 16th 39pts

The case seems pretty sound, a matter of 4 points and Burnley had a better goal difference

2022/23 Leeds 19th 31pts, Leicester 18th 34pts, Everton 17th 36pts

Leicester definitely have a case, just 2pts and better goal difference but Leeds might be chancing their arm. Can't blame them for trying
  • I expect Leeds basis is had Everton had the 10 points deduction in 2021/22 season they wouldn’t have been in the PL to take 4 points off them in 2022/23 and thus suggesting they may have got 6 points off whoever replaced them.
    Optimistic pitch is an understatement but then so was the Blades case against us but we had to settle out of court as we were ruled against so stranger things have happened.
  • I think it goes to show that if you leave things too long, it makes matters worse.
  • I expect Leeds basis is had Everton had the 10 points deduction in 2021/22 season they wouldn’t have been in the PL to take 4 points off them in 2022/23 and thus suggesting they may have got 6 points off whoever replaced them.
    Optimistic pitch is an understatement but then so was the Blades case against us but we had to settle out of court as we were ruled against so stranger things have happened.

That kind of magical thinking will surely be dismissed.

Leeds might have been up against a team that took 6 points off them...
  • I guess Everton will say the timing of the sanction is nothing to do with them, that they are subject to the rules as set out by the premiership and that any adverse effect to a third party club due to delayed sanction is the fault of the Premiership. The premiership will state that any sanction can only be imposed after an a thorough investigation.

If we think that they have opened up a can or worms by causing a points deduction it will be nothing compared to what will happen if a legal case of harm to a business were accepted due to rule breaking. If City get convicted the clubs impacted will be a list as long as your arm over the last few years.

I do agree that the rules should be upheld through serious sanction but I am surprised the issue wasn't fudged a little through imposing big financial penalties and reduced ability to spend for a period going forward.
  • Optimistic pitch is an understatement but then so was the Blades case against us but we had to settle out of court as we were ruled against so stranger things have happened.

I think the Leeds/Burnley/Leicester case is similar to the Sheffield United case against us

Because Everton spent more than they were allowed they had players they wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford. As a result they got better results and ended up with more points