Rugby World Cup

England supporters haven't had much to cheer about recently and, although I know one swallow doesn't make a summer, it was nice to enjoy a game for a change, despite having a player sent off (maybe somewhat harshly) in the third minute.

Admittedly Argentina, who are actually ranked higher than us atm, were pretty dreadful, but you can only beat what's in front of you. Also, I have to say, the performance of the French referee (who wasn't responsible for the sending off, he merely referred the challenge to "the bunker" as is the procedure these days) has gone some way to changing my thinking that all French refs all are bent (or at least biased against England) after the performance of Pascal Gauzere in the Six Nations match against Wales in 2021 which was the dodgiest performance by any official (including Adalaide Byrd's scorecard in the first GGG v Canelo fight) I've ever witnessed in any sport.

Comments

• The red card was the correct decision.
  • DJ Hammer said:

The red card was the correct decision.

I did say "maybe somewhat harshly"; I'm not convinced it was the correct decision tbh, and that is an opinion shared by the pundits (admittedly English) at half-time. It was a decision that, imo, had it been given either way, wouldn't provoke strong criticism.

• But given one way provokes mild criticism.
  • But given one way provokes mild criticism.
    I suspect there would be mild criticism whichever way he went, not just one way.
  • There’s a saying in Irish which I often think of when fans discuss sporting incidents. “To the crow, her own chick is white.”
  • edited September 2023
    I’ve never got rugby.I’ve tried for years to watch it but I don’t understand why it’s so stop start and why particular refereeing decisions are made. It just leaves me bored and confused.
    The best thing about the big games for me is the atmosphere in the ground, but the actual game? Nah, not for me.
  • For what it's worth, the Red card for England yesterday was probably correct. However, I think it was tough on Curry. I can see plenty of Red cards being given if that was the benchmark.
  • So Chile have a yellow card and waiting for Red card review. For certain foul play, but never a Red. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
  • I haven't seen the incident in the Chile game yet, but cries of a lack of consistency already after a clash of heads in the Scotland v South Africa game wasn't even referred to the onfield ref by the TMO.
  • edited September 2023
    Buffy these are the instances where TMO is used in those circumstances

TMOs only ‘interrupt’ play to investigate serious, clear and obvious incidents of dangerous play missed by the Match Official team.

Referees can utilise the TMO to make a Yellow Card decision, but any extended TMO video reviews will take place once the player has left the field, not before the Yellow Card is issued.

In the Curry incident the referee issued a yellow and requested a red review by making the Hammers crossed arms signal. It was deemed reckless but not dangerous.

In the Chile incident the officials didn’t see it and obviously the TMO didn’t consider it serious dangerous play so couldn’t and didn’t intervene by awarding a red card.
  • edited September 2023

In the Chile incident the officials didn’t see it and obviously the TMO didn’t consider it serious dangerous play so couldn’t and didn’t intervene.

I didn't see the Chile incident so I can't comment, but in the Scotland v South Africa match there was a clear clash of heads which almost always warrants at least a yellow so surely that's within the remit of the TMO to draw to the attention of the onfield ref.

Referees can utilise the TMO to make a Yellow Card decision, but any extended TMO video reviews will take place once the player has left the field, not before the Yellow Card is issued.

Yes, I'm well aware of how the new "bunker" system works thanks.

• It’s not in their remit unless they consider it serious dangerous play which they obviously didn’t. The TMO in rugby operates totally different to VAR. the instance above is the only one that they could look at with a view to intervening. Otherwise they look at things at the request of the referee.
  • It’s not in their remit unless they consider it serious dangerous play which they obviously didn’t. The TMO in rugby operates totally different to VAR. the instance above is the only one that they could look at with a view to intervening. Otherwise they look at things at the request of the referee.

Given the emphasis on avoiding head contact at all costs, it seems very inconsistent for the TMO to completely dismiss it as being dangerous play.

• edited September 2023

It’s not in their remit unless they consider it serious dangerous play which they obviously didn’t. The TMO in rugby operates totally different to VAR. the instance above is the only one that they could look at with a view to intervening. Otherwise they look at things at the request of the referee.

I'm not sure that's true, I've seen TMO's draw the ref's attention to things like forward passes that the ref has completely missed (for a try), and a missed incident of dangerous play is similar to a missed red card in football. I'm not saying they're exactly the same, but there are definite similarities. Players will often try to kick a conversion quickly if they think the try is suspect to prevent the TMO having time to draw something to the ref's attention.

• They can no longer do that. A significant alteration will be the implementation of a more streamlined Television Match Official (TMO) process. The revised approach will limit TMO intervention to clear instances of foul play, reducing interruptions and allowing the game to maintain its rhythm.

The rules were changed this summer and were introduced for the World Cup which is also why there are time limits on penalties, conversions, scrums and restarts etc.
  • Changes can be viewed on ruck.co.uk
  • edited September 2023

They can no longer do that. A significant alteration will be the implementation of a more streamlined Television Match Official (TMO) process.

I knew they'd introduced the shot clocks and the "bunker" but didn't realise the TMO could no longer, for instance, point out a forward pass leading to a try if the ref had missed it any more.

However, I still stand by my original point that, given the emphasis on avoiding any contact with the head, the clash is the Scotland-South Africa match should have resulted in a yellow at least; contact with the head, in this day and age, is invariably classed as dangerous play.

• Another contentious decision in the France-Uruguay match this evening. I know that the player who was hit was low, and a second French player was involved, but there was no sudden lowering of his head before the hit as he was already low, and there was no attempt to wrap by the French player either. Looked a bad tackle to me, a bit Owen Farrell-ish, and I'm surprised it wasn't a red tbh.
  • Just watched it and it's a clear shoulder to head and absolutely no mitigation involved.
    Joke decision by the TMOs.
  • Yeah, can't help feeling that if that had been Farrell say, instead of a French player, that it would have been a red. The talk of the second French player being involved is surely irrelevant as his (the guy being tackled) height didn't materially change immediately before impact, they've used that as a "box ticking" mitigation (almost as if they didn't want to red card a French player) rather than looking at what actually happened, imo.
  • Red card for a NZ player this evening, but the tackle was very similar to the French one last night that was only a yellow 🤔🤔🤔. Both red imo.
  • Bit like the transfer window this rugby World Cup, it’s seems to go on forever.😉
  • That’s because they’re only playing at weekends. Why this is I don’t know.
  • The body takes longer to recover playing rugby as opposed to football.
  • Fiji beat Australia. Nobody likes to see that hahaha

By my calculation, assuming Fiji go on to beat Georgia and Portugal, Wales could effectively knock Australia out next Saturday!

By my calculation, assuming Fiji go on to beat Georgia and Portugal, Wales could effectively knock Australia out next Saturday!
    Or vice versa
  • IronHerb said:

Fiji beat Australia. Nobody likes to see that hahaha

Or vice versa
    Then we get to play bonus point bingo, as three teams with one defeat each try and fit into two qualifying spots!
  • Despite losing their opening game to France, NZ are showing they're still contenders; currently 35-3 up inside half an hour against Italy.
  • 96-17 it ended