The Great Europa League Adventure 2023-24

Comments

• I think it happened in one of the competitions last season, and Leverkusen and Qarabag were also in the same group this season.

Good spot. Last season was Union Saint-Gilloise v Union Berlin
  • edited February 23
    Woulda liked AC Milan and Benfica get tougher draws after dropping down from the Champions League.

Gotta feel that this is one of the toughest Europa Leagues there's been, with the last 16 including the leaders of the Premier League and the Bundesliga, and the current 3rd, 4th and 6th placed teams in Serie A
  • We get Freiburg, again.

Has that ever happened before? Getting drawn against a team you played in the Group?

Freiburg must be pretty peeved at that!
    This season with Atalanta and Sporting Lisbon. =)
  • Just been on their Forum, they are worried and a good few don't believe they stand a chance.
  • It doesn’t matter who we are drawn against if we don’t wake up from our current stupor it will be academic.
  • Nice tie for Villa in the ECL getting Ajax.

Not sure why Freiburg are worried about us, we look a championship outfit at present.
  • It's a good draw for us. ⚒
  • I like Freiburg they seem a stable well run friendly family club, and in a nice part of the world.
  • That's a good draw as we know we can beat them, whether we do so again is another question. I think they would have been one of the teams that most hoped for.

They have a similar look to ourselves this season as they are 8th in the German league but a huge 29 points behind Leverkusen, we are 9th but 24 points behind Liverpool.

One game at a time, but this one is winnable.
  • Nice tie for Villa in the ECL getting Ajax.

Not sure why Freiburg are worried about us, we look a championship outfit at present.

We should really have withdrawn from the competition .

• edited February 23
    Slacker said:

Why on earth should we do that? This time last year we had 13 fewer points and were 7 positions lower but no one was talking about pulling out of the ECL
  • Slacker said:

Why on earth should we do that? This time last year we had 13 fewer points and were 7 positions lower but no one was talking about pulling out of the ECL
    Pretty sure Slacker's comment was very much tongue in cheek.

Just as a comparison as to the standard of the 2 competitions though, despite last year's much worse league form, we were one of the favourites once we reached the last 16 of the ECL, whereas that's nowhere near the case this season in the EL.

• Slacker said:

Er…😉

• Freiburg drew 2-2 with Bayern tonight.
  • They will feel they dropped two points at that result, everyones taking points from Harry's team at present =)
  • They lost three on the trott, then beat Leipzig due to an injury time Kane goal and now this draw. Bayern are dropping points left right and center and I am loving it.
  • edited March 14
    EUROPA LEAGUE 23-24

Total Prize Money: €499,896,000

After Round of 16-

Qualified to group stage: €3,630,000 ✅
    Match won in group stage: €630,000 x 5 ✅
    Group Draw Pot: €105,545 ✅
    1st in Group Stage: €1,100,000 ✅
    Round of 16: €1,200,000 ✅
    Quarter-Final: €1,800,000 ✅
    Semi-Final: €2,800,000
    Runners Up: €4,600,000
    Winner: €8,600,000

Coefficient Ranking payment: €132,000 per Coefficient ranking position (12th): €2,772,000 ✅

Market Pool* €69,750,000 / Number of Associations in Group Stage x 30%: €996,429 ✅
    Market Pool** (Group Stage) €27,900,000 - Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €422,727 ✅
    Market Pool** (Round of 16) €13,950,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €516,667 ✅
    Market Pool** (Round of 8) €9,070,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €907,000 ✅

Market Pool** (Semi Final) €5,580,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €
    Market Pool** (Final) €2,790,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €

Running Total : €16,550,201 😎

Plus home attendances of 41,374 - 55,811 - 48,876 - 51,014
  • Shame Leverkusen scored 2 injury time goals to see them through at the expense of Qarabag. Gotta hope they draw Liverpool so one of the two favourites gets eliminated in the quarter-finals.
  • We'll take em. COYI
  • I would like to avoid Leverkusen but anyone but Liverpool until the final is my hope, if you do get knocked out of Europe you want it to at least be a big euro night rather than a domestic tie.
  • Draw for the European competitions QFs begin from 11am peeps.
  • Draw for the European competitions QFs begin from 11am peeps.

After the waffle, actual draw begins next Tuesday
  • edited March 15

Draw for the European competitions QFs begin from 11am peeps.

The EL draw is from noon; must admit I thought they just ran straight through once they started.

Amazingly, Brighton are in the draw despite being eliminated, according to the BBC anyway.
  • We will know soon who we have in the QF and potentially the SF which may well dampen our spirits because I’m sure we will have Liverpool or Leverkusen in one or the other.
  • Why will it dampen your spirits? At this stage of competition your bound to meet top teams.
    I for one am up for it.
  • We will know soon who we have in the QF and potentially the SF which may well dampen our spirits because I’m sure we will have Liverpool or Leverkusen in one or the other.

I’d rather them in the semi final than the quarters, because they will both be in a title race and maybe take their eye off the ball
  • I feel certain we'll get Liverpool in the quarters
  • I'll be happy if we avoid Liverpool, Leverkusen and AC Milan, especially if at least 2 of those 3 are in the other half of the draw once the semi-finals are drawn.
  • IH it is the fact that you know who you’re getting in the semis before you’ve kicked a ball in the quarters that I don’t like. Of course all the teams left are top sides but wondering who you might get is part of the excitement.
  • Alderz we may learn we have one of them in the quarters and the other in the semis if we get through.