Are Everton still facing a points deduction?

There is always someone else having a worse time than you. This story seems to have got lost in the ether. Everton were alleged to have infrigned financial protocols in relation to profits. I dont pretend to understand how these things work, but 3 EPL clubs in danger of relegation were asking for investigation before end of last season so they might be saved from the drop if Everton found guilty as a points deduction would have sent them down. It now appears the matter has been turned over to independent?? investigators and a points deduction is on the cards...how could this be better handled?

Comments

• Investigator it in a quicker fashion. Our infringement over signing Tevez and Mascherano was investigated and punishment was meted out that season.
  • It's not just a points deduction as the only available sanction if found guilty - it could be a fine.
  • edited August 2023

Investigator it in a quicker fashion. Our infringement over signing Tevez and Mascherano was investigated and punishment was meted out that season.

It's a different issue, though. This one is about profit/loss .... and the season in question is 21-22, the accounts for which only went to the PL by March '23.

The case was referred pretty quickly (same month).

The Commission will (according to a BBC report) sit? hear the case? (not sure exactly what they do) on 25 October. Not sure why it has to take that long...

• In looking up some of that info, I discovered that they are being sued by Ancelotti.
  • MrsGrey said:

Investigator it in a quicker fashion. Our infringement over signing Tevez and Mascherano was investigated and punishment was meted out that season.

It's a different issue, though. This one is about profit/loss .... and the season in question is 21-22, the accounts for which only went to the PL by March '23.

The case was referred pretty quickly (same month).

The Commission will (according to a BBC report) sit? hear the case? (not sure exactly what they do) on 25 October. Not sure why it has to take that long...

The date of the hearing does make a mockery of things though, doesn't it? If it were held by the end of the season then a points deduction is actually viable and arguably appropriate. However, they won't consider a points deduction now because it would leave the PL/Everton themselves open to a court case for compensation from Leicester as Everton would have gone down with as little as a 2 point deduction.

So even if a points deduction is the appropriate punishment, I doubt very much it will happen now.

• edited August 2023
    But I guess there is an appeal procedure so it would still likely over run the summer.
  • buffy, but the season of the 'offence' was 21-22. So even if they speeded up the hearing and did it by the summer (rather than October), it would be the 22-23 season, wouldn't it? So any points deduction would STILL be too late for the relegated clubs?
  • MrsGrey said:

buffy, but the season of the 'offence' was 21-22. So even if they speeded up the hearing and did it by the summer (rather than October), it would be the 22-23 season, wouldn't it? So any points deduction would STILL be too late for the relegated clubs?

Stop being all logical, will you please 😂🤣😂? The offence as such wasn't apparent till March 23, so that season should be when the penalty is applied (not that I'm back-tracking at all 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂).