WHU606 Hammer of the Year

2»

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

But alderz set it up so perhaps had a clearer Idea of what it is intended to achieve. So can decide on criteria when MOTM isn't really MOTM..

For sure.

My averaging of the points comes from the fact that there are 6 points up for grabs in a match, so I just look for what I consider is the fairest way to allocate those 6 points. In a normal week, that's 3, 2, 1. This match, 3 players were clearly better than the rest, but maybe not better than each other, so 2 points each seems fair to me. If 6 players all got, say, 4 votes each, then 1 point each seems fair; they were better than the other half of the team, but obviously not outstanding if we couldn't separate 6 players. If they all get 3 points it seems harsh on the bloke who gets 15 votes the following week with the remaining votes spread among the rest of the players. All imo of course.

But ultimately it's alderz doing all this, so whatever he decides on, goes, imo.
  • My view would be all three get the vote. I would also have made the comp simply who gets the most MOM awards from us and the second places only counted if there is a tie. Your comp however Alderz.
  • I get that it’s my thing, but what I wanted to do is find out who our collective HOTY is for WHU606, so I want it to be everyone’s thing

I’ll have a look at the spreadsheet and see what’s simple to work out
  • So you're comparing your spreadsheet to VAR? Interesting hahaha
  • How many decimal places shall we go down to? 🤷‍♂️

I'm with steve on this.
  • edited November 2023
    I’ve decided to give them all first place. In this instance there’s no second or third place.

So everyone knows, for equal points across the season, % Matches Nominated, # Matches Nominated, # MOTM, # Top 3 Finishes and then # Total Nominations as tie breakers.
  • November international break update:

1st: Lucas Paqueta - 14pts
    2nd: James Ward-Prowse - 14pts
    3rd: Jarrod Bowen - 14pts
    4th: Mohammed Kudus - 12pts
    5th: Vladimir Coufal - 10pts

The top 3 all have 14 points (3 points for MOTM, 2 for second place, 1 for third place) but are separated in that order as Paqueta has received nominations in 9 of his 16 appearances, which is the highest. Ward-Prowse and Bowen have both been nominated in 50% of their appearances, but JWP has received one more MOTM (3) than Bowen has (2).
  • What's noticeable (to me at least) is how close to those three players Kudus is given his relative lack of game time.
  • We're at the March international break now, so I figured it's time for another update:

1st: Mohammed Kudus - 30pts
    2nd: Jarrod Bowen - 25pts
    3rd: Alphonse Areola - 24pts
    4th: Lucas Paqueta - 20pts
    5th: Vladimir Coufal - 19pts
    6th: Edson Alvarez - 18pts
    7th: Emerson Palmieri - 17pts
    8th: James Ward-Prowse - 17pts
    9th: Tomas Soucek - 10pts
    10th: Kurt Zouma - 8pts

Most MOTM: Mohammed Kudus - 7
    Most Nomination: Alphonse Areola - 100
    Highest % of Matches Nominated: Edson Alvarez - 46%

---

Reminder: It's 3pts for being voted MOTM, 2pts for coming second, and 1pt for coming third. In case of a tie, the first tie breaker is % matches nominated. There are further tie breaks, but it's unlikely that they are going to have any impact.
  • Intuitively I would have thought that Bowen would be the man to beat as he has been pretty consistent this season.

IMO, some games he has flitted in and out of but there is no doubt that Kudus has shown what a great signing he is.

Thanks for running this Alderz, it has been an interesting and fun add on to the season
  • Until Antonio came back from injury, that was 10 of our starting 11, just short one CB.
  • From an intuitive feel I would have imagined the top two a little closer together and Paquetta just above Areola in third but other than that if feels about right from watching most matches.
  • It looks about right in terms of season performance, although I think overall Bowen has been our best player and more consistent. But Kudus has had more sparkling performances, maybe.
  • If the HOTY voting was open today I’d go for Alvarez, personally, but I have enjoyed tracking this tbh.