Injury Updates - Feb 2023 onwards

Comments

• Haller wanted to leave and it’s pointless keeping a player who didn’t want to be here. So far I’ve not seen anything from Scamacca that suggests he doesn’t want to stay or play for us. If he goes it will be because the club don’t want to keep him or we are relegated. He bought a house here and has been really unfortunate with illness and injuries. He’s obviously the best striker we have and I’m sure he will be a really useful player next season if we stay in the PL and everyone else is not rubbish again.
  • thorn, I know it's Groundhog Day, but anyway =), why do you think Haller wanted to leave, if he actually didn't want to be here?
  • I’ve no idea what his actual reasons were because I’ve not spoken to him. He was a Pellegrini signing and Moyes preferred Antonio up front. Everyone knew he sulked a lot when he wasn’t picked and seemed disinterested when he did play. Some of this could have been down to his wife being quite I’ll and having a new born son. I don’t think Scamacca is of the same mould and to me seems up for it when he plays. Difference between an Italian and a Frenchman perhaps temperament wise.
  • Not getting the best out of some players doesn’t mean he’s bad at man management, IMO.
  • Haller was hardly banging them in under Pellegrini, 6 in 18 PL games plus 4 in 4 League Cup games against lower league opposition

So either it was Pellegrini AND Moyes that failed to get the best out of him or he just couldn't adapt to the English Premier League
  • Haller was hardly banging them in under Pellegrini, 6 in 18 PL games plus 4 in 4 League Cup games against lower league opposition

So either it was Pellegrini AND Moyes that failed to get the best out of him or he just couldn't adapt to the English Premier League

He was successful in a front 2 with Frankfurt (like Scamacca at Sassuolo) and we only ever used him as a lone striker. I don’t know whether he’s been a lone striker at Ajax or Dortmund, but there’s a difference with being a lone striker in a side that dominates most games.

He may not have adapted regardless, but the issue from my perspective is why did we sign (and seemingly continue to sign) players who don’t suit our system, if we don’t intend to change our system to suit them?
  • edited April 2023
    alderz 👍

Same argument applies to Paqueta. Signed, according to Moyes, to contribute 8-10 goals and 8-10 assists. He's been most effective as a more defensive midfielder where his tracking back and ball recovery has been his biggest assets. We had Rice, Soucek and Downes to do that job.

Arguably early days for Rob Newman, but he and Moyes have hardly covered themselves in glory with their signings, or use of signings.
  • Paquetta is clearly a talent and his attitude is faultless, as he really gets stuck in when needed. I think it's possibly a case of him needing better players around him or he is just not in a system that presents him opportunities to show his best.

I have felt at times even though he is better than Fornals, sometimes we would have been served better with Fornals on the pitch as he maybe suits our style of play better.
  • I think Paqueta and Scamacca were both signed in the mistaken belief that we'd be capable of having far more possession this season than we've actually managed. On the face of it, 2 seasons finishing 6th and 7th with a good European run thrown in as well might suggest that we were dominating possession a lot of the time and maybe blinded the powers that be to the fact that an awful lot of the points earned were from goals on the break and from set pieces, often in games where we had considerably less than 50% possession.

The players were signed for a team and style we might have wanted, but certainly weren't playing, and I think that, apart from failing to score a third of the goals that our xG has us scoring, is the main reason this season has been such a struggle.
  • I think the failing to score a third of the goals etc is THE main reason
  • I reckon that if we give them the chance to build next season we will see how good they can be. Scamacca hasn't had a decent run in the team and both he and Paquetta need getting used to the prem. They will both be better next season under whichever manager.
  • Reports that Scamacca had a meniscus tear, and, as we all suspected, will be out for the rest of the season:

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/news/west-ham-gianluca-scamacca-injury-26721619
  • Got to feel for the bloke. He’s had rotten luck with injuries. I just hope it gets sorted for him and that next season he can really show us how good he is.
  • Next season he’ll be in Italy
  • Luke should you add IMO to that post?😉
  • Slacker said:

Luke should you add IMO to that post?😉

You think he might still be injured next year?
  • Slacker said:

Luke should you add IMO to that post?😉

You think he might still be injured next year?
    Haven’t got a clue, have you?

• edited April 2023
    Lukerz said:

Next season he’ll be in Italy

I think it largely depends whether Moyes is still here. If he is, I think Scamacca goes. If we have someone else, say, I dunno, Carrick, then maybe he stays.

He never was, and never will be, a Moyes striker (edit) IMO
  • Apparently being reported that Zouma is out for the season, will be a complete nightmare if it's the case, likely affecting both our chances in the ECL and of avoiding relegation.
  • edited May 2023
    From today's presser:

On Kurt Zouma...
    I wouldn't want to say [how long]. Kurt is incredibly good at getting himself fit and and back to it. I am hoping he will be fine [to play in a couple of weeks].

https://www.whufc.com/news/it-happened-david-moyes-pre-manchester-city-press-conference

With games coming thick and fast, that's looking like a minimum of 4 missed games but realistically more than that.
  • edited May 2023
    From Moyes's presser today:

"Kurt [Zouma] has had a day back. He has just started back and we are just seeing how is ankle is.
    There is a good chance that tomorrow is too soon but we will see how he is."

Sounds like he's not gonna make the first leg, but Brentford or the second leg with AZ must be a possibility.
  • We did ok iwithout him Sunday. Why take chances. Let him rest.
  • I would really like him for the away leg and Final if we make it through so I would try and give him as much chance to recover properly. If Kerher and Ogbonna play as they did at the weekend we can manage. Ideally if they feel he is able to play a part tomorrow bench and only in an emergency. Should he miss tomorrow he should definitely miss Brentford.
  • Coufal update in today's presser from Moyes:

"He is starting to do some light jogging. He has got a slight hamstring tweak but he is a boy who wants to play and wants to get back quickly."

https://www.whufc.com/news/it-happened-david-moyes-pre-brentford-press-conference-0
  • A boy? he is 30 years old.
  • To Moyes and people as old as me he is a boy =)
  • I'm old enough to be his Dad, he's a boy hahaha
  • Yes, what I'd give to be a boy of 30 again
  • Young whippersnapper .....!!!
  • Yes! He isnt even out of short trousers yet