Couldn’t think…. The next part

Comments

• See there has been criticism of the decision to postpone the NLD from Gary Neville & Stan Collymore.
  • See there has been criticism of the decision to postpone the NLD from Gary Neville & Stan Collymore.

It must be the correct decision then.

Despite this, I still feel Arsenal are taking liberties with this postponement, which is not primarily down to Covid, which was why the new guidelines were brought in.
  • But you don't know that for certain.
  • Tbh I thibk it's good that the match was postponed. For starters I wouldn't want Arsenal to play thr kids vs Spurs and it just adds to congestion in their fixture calendars, especially Spurs'.
  • edited January 2022
    Ironherb, I hadn’t appreciated you had links with the decision makers @ the EPL. It’s very rare I agree with Gary Neville but it is time for these postponements to be solely based on Covid reasons.
    Munich, Not really bothered about either of the NL teams but it might have shut Arsenal & their fans up if they had lost but I suppose it would have made the Spurs fans worse so it’s a no win situation which it is now. 😉
  • Fortune, can you show me the proof that the decisions aren't based on covid?
  • So challenge for those unhappy with the current rules.
    How would you reframe them?
  • edited January 2022
    Actually no I can’t but as the media are reporting there is only one reported case in the Arsenal likely line up I believe there are only factors including the “thorny” subject of players at the ANC. Doesn’t it have to be 13 outfield plus a keeper to be able to play so on that basis they would need 7 out of their 25 squad to have covid which although I can’t prove it I don’t think they have. They played on Thursday night with ten men for about an hour so may be tired? It’s not being anti the gooners it just appears clubs are looking to postpone matches until they can get players fit again & others back from the ANC which isn’t correct.
  • MrsGrey said:

So challenge for those unhappy with the current rules.

Dock spurs 3 points every time a game is postponed, regardless of what the team is works for me Mrs G
  • MrsGrey said:

So challenge for those unhappy with the current rules.

Covid should be the main factor you cannot get to 13 players, for me. So more out with Covid than anything else.

Any other season, if you have ten players out with injury, illness and/or international call-ups, you play the kids.

The first games being postponed seemed to be mass outbreaks across players and staff, resulting in training grounds being closed etc.

That isn’t the case with Arsenal.
  • Didn’t Liverpool have to play a game once when their entire first team was playing the club World Cup?
  • Not sure. I can't remember that. ( I can't remember a lot of things 🤣)
  • Was that a cup game
  • I think they played their academy against Villa in the EFL
  • Didn’t Liverpool have to play a game once when their entire first team was playing the club World Cup?

Yeah, I think that was a cup rather than a league game though, if that makes any difference.
  • Is thee an issue with the integrity of the competition?

If this was the end of the season, with a couple of games to go. Spurs could play the Arsenal U18s and get 3 points, potentially knocking us out of top 4.

Would all those saying games must go ahead be happy about that scenario, no moaning, honest?
  • For me, it would depend on whether they were fielding their strongest available team.

In seasons gone by, if you had a load of injuries it was just tough; you had to play youngsters to fulfil the fixture. Arsenal are reported to have one player missing through Covid; to my mind this is not in any way what the change in postponement protocols was meant for.
  • If it had been better “policed” from the start it wouldn’t be an issue.
  • edited January 2022
    But you don't know how it's been policed. It might have been policed perfectly.
    So the ' how it's been policed' is just a perception thing.

So, it's an issue because people are reading all sorts of opinions and having their own theories...

Hence, it's not a real issue. It's only being made into one by gossip and conspiracy and guesswork and rumours.

And now, I shall trudge dejectedly over to the FF and see what horrors await me.

( I'm no fan of postponements, believe me.)
  • 17th December 2019, Liverpool played the kids against Villa in the League Cup Quarters the day before they played their first Club World Cup match and got stuffed 5-0.

When Liverpool played in 2005 Club World Cup they were already out of the League Cup
  • What is a better example of a team being asked to play even though they have Covid issues look no further than Aston Villa v Liverpool in the FA Cup in 2021. The home team consisted of seven Under 23’s & four Under 18’s so it can be done if it has to be.
  • From the BBC Team News page:

Mikel Arteta on if the rules regarding match postponements due to Covid need to be more transparent:

"Yes, but you have to do that from the beginning.

"To ask somebody halfway to change is a little bit manipulative.

"I think everybody has to do the right thing and if we have to change things let’s change them but let's all act in the same way."

To my mind he's admitting they took a liberty in postponing the NLD, because it was technically possible even if morally wrong.
  • edited January 2022
    Sky reporting the Premier league are investigating an Arsenal yellow card earlier in the season , after betting irregularities have been brought to their attention. I say dock them 50 points now!!
  • Ah man, Meat Loaf has died. His music has been such a big part of my life. Often ridiculed, but boy, could he could sing.

RIP Big Man.
  • 19yo man arrested and charged with assault by Merseyside plod for throwing a bottle at Aston Villa players

Two men arrested after items thrown from the away end at Stamford Bridge on Sunday

From the Sentencing Council guidelines all they'd get a would be fine or a community order (carried out on Saturday afternoons) but the clubs can ban them
  • edited January 2022
    SSN are reporting Grant McCann has been sacked as Hull City manager this is after beating Blackburn & Bournemouth in his last two matches! Just bizarre?
  • More TV fixtures

Wolverhampton Wanderers (H), Sunday 27 February, 2pm Sky
    Liverpool (A), Saturday 5 March, 5.30pm Sky
    Aston Villa (H), Sunday 13 March, 2pm (not on TV)
    Tottenham Hotspur (A), Sunday 20 March, 2pm Sky if both teams are out of the FA Cup
This discussion has been closed.