Couldn’t think…. The next part

Comments

• I don't think we have any U23s that made their first team debut aged 16 or their full international debut at 18

Rice didn't make his first team debut until be was 18 and his international debut until he was 19 (and 20 for England)

If we had any kids that were that good I think they'd be playing in the first team already!

Nothing like facts to kill a bit of humour. ;)
  • With some people on here its hard to tell...
  • edited March 2022
    Terrible news, Shane Warne dead of heart attack aged 52, a day after same day another Aussie legend Rod Marsh from same cause aged 74. Unbelievable. RIP you beauties.
  • Any thoughts on the new OS. I thought it was terrible, but I guess I'll get used to it 😡
  • Terrible news, Shane Warne dead of heart attack aged 52, a day after same day another Aussie legend Rod Marsh from same cause aged 74. Unbelievable. RIP you beauties.

Awful awful news.Two of the truly greats have left us.Warnie was the greatest bowler I ever saw.Absolutely gutted.

• Any thoughts on the new OS. I thought it was terrible, but I guess I'll get used to it 😡

Tbh I don't think I ever visit the OS. Even buying tickets redirects you somewhere else.
  • Slacker said:

Terrible news, Shane Warne dead of heart attack aged 52, a day after same day another Aussie legend Rod Marsh from same cause aged 74. Unbelievable. RIP you beauties.

Awful awful news.Two of the truly greats have left us.Warnie was the greatest bowler I ever saw.Absolutely gutted.

He certainly lived his life, but 52 is no age.

Can't quite believe this one.
  • Very sad. Great cricketer and huge character. He will be missed.
  • edited March 2022
    He Tweeted this morning about the sad passing of Rodney Marsh then a couple of hours later he's gone as well. A truly sad day for his family but not only for Aussie cricket but cricket generally. I still remember the ball that got Gatting, incredible
  • edited March 2022
    OCS, Great picture by the way! D'you remember Phil Parkes advertising hair products?! Great goalkeeper with a great Barnet! Wasn't he the most expensive Goalkeeper in the world at 1/2 million quid? Peanuts today!
  • I don't remember the ad, yoyo, but I do remember seeing Phil Parkes at my first West Ham game when they came to Fratton Park backin the mid-80s. He looked enormous. Seemed to fill the goal.

From that point he was my favourite player and when I saw that conditioner ad the other day I thought a) he looked glorious and b) I had to have it as my profile pic.
  • I do remember the add and OCS's comment on the size of Parkes in goal, I remember thinking that when seeing him play for QPR against us before he came - I was delighted when we signed him.

Just had a quick look at his page on Wiki and it appears he played exactly the same number of matches for QPR and us!
  • There’s a legend about Phil Parkes.
    When he was at Wallsall QPR came in for him and he allegedly said “I’m not going to ( expletive not allowed)Scotland for anyone!”
  • edited March 2022
    10 games left, what's a realistic points return? I think 14-16, which would give us 59 - 61 points
  • Seeking travel tips from you sophisticated lot.

Obvs I will search facts online but am interested in personal experiences ( good and bad).

I'm doing an (aged) interrail trip this summer. Coming from Greece to UK but by rail not plane. Taking the eastern European ( not Italy) route.
    Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Prague, Dresden...
    After that, a bit flexible. Berlin? Cologne?

Should I head to the channel tunnel via Amsterdam, or Brussels? Or a different route?

Any tips, warnings, recommendations, suggestions and advice will be welcome. I'm on a budget, so will need to balance splurging with austerity :-)
  • MrsGrey, I wouldn't be going anywhere until the war in Ukraine is over. God knows what that madman in the Kremlin is likely to do next.
  • edited March 2022
    I know where you are coming from. But, the world got very small over the last few years. And you only live once - can't hide behind the sofa for ever. No point in life like that.
    Obvs, global factors may scupper my plans but unless there's a compelling reason, I'm coming to UK to see family and friends this summer. I could fly all the way, I suppose... Less risky than the train?
  • Don't come back on the Orient Express, people get murdered on it.
  • Southern rail will probably put on a replacement bus service from Ashford to Vienna
  • MrsGrey said:

And you only live once - can't hide behind the sofa for ever. No point in life like that.

So we know you're not a Hindu, Buddhist or Jain =)
  • edited March 2022
    Mrs G

Budapest is well worth an overnighter, when I was there it was a most beautiful city, although 20 years ago. They've probably updated them but the ancient trams were a sight to behold.

Bratislava, I worked there for three years, again 20 years ago. A nice enough city but not as nice as Budapest, or is that familiarity putting down the truth ?

Vienna, your typical western capital city.

Berlin, I want to go there and that's all I can say about that one =)

Good travels, and enjoy. I once done the sleeper from Paris to Verona. A great experience. Quite funny when the train stops, any time day or night. The stampede of human feet, the crashed opening of train doors followed by the symphony of a thousand lighters and sated sighs of the smoker.

• edited March 2022
    Thanks expat!

The romance of train travel 🚬 😂
  • I loved Berlin when I was there, would definitely recommend a visit
  • I have a question for you all - how far before a game can you buy tickets? I want to take my brother to the Arsenal game for his birthday, but I don’t know when I’ll be able to book
  • I feel like general sale usually starts about a month before the game? The Everton game says it went on general sale on Feb 25.
  • MrsGrey said:

I know where you are coming from. But, the world got very small over the last few years. And you only live once - can't hide behind the sofa for ever. No point in life like that.
    Obvs, global factors may scupper my plans but unless there's a compelling reason, I'm coming to UK to see family and friends this summer. I could fly all the way, I suppose... Less risky than the train?

I'd say take the train. If you need to, budget flights are quite easy these days and you could get one to the UK (or Greece) if you needed it at short notice. It sounds like a great journey you've got planned.

Berlin was interesting. I spent a weekend in East Berlin and actually didn't like it as much as I expected because of all the praise. I find a lot of the hipster cafe stuff a bit contrived (same formula everywhere) but there are some interesting things around. It's kind of a weird city as well, all the good stuff is very scattered. Worth a visit though.

I've never been to either but quite a few people have told me Brussels is quite boring.
  • Gent is a better place to visit then brussels, waterways and old castle, three cathedrals next to each other for some weird historical reason and Mrs WHUP was born there. Nice ice cream as well.
  • edited March 2022
    Outcast/pathman, thanks for your input. Brussels is on the list mainly for the train link to London ( there or Paris and as I'm coming via Germany it seemed best, plus the fine art museum). I'll look at spending more time in the surrounding areas and just use Brussels as a transit point.

Outcast, your comment the emergency flights is exactly what I'm thinking. Plus book everything with free cancellation. Cos Covid, too.

Re Berlin I don't think I'll be doing much hipster stuff. Too old, and not enough beard ;-). Am interested in art and architecture, modern history and a big fan of all the cold war spy novels so will be checking out anything connected with that. George Smiley etc.

• MrsGrey said:

Outcast/pathman, thanks for your input. Brussels is on the list mainly for the train link to London ( there or Paris and as I'm coming via Germany it seemed best, plus the fine art museum). I'll look at spending more time in the surrounding areas and just use Brussels as a transit point.

Outcast, your comment the emergency flights is exactly what I'm thinking. Plus book everything with free cancellation. Cos Covid, too.

Re Berlin I don't think I'll be doing much hipster stuff. Too old, and not enough beard ;-). Am interested in art and architecture, modern history and a big fan of all the cold war spy novels so will be checking out anything connected with that. George Smiley etc.

For me, please do not forgo an opportunity to visit Prague, possibly the most beautiful city I visited, literally a chapel behind every corner,of which the outside just so, but the inside, simply breathtaking
This discussion has been closed.